Swapping Axes with angle head?

Thread: Swapping Axes with angle head?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Swapping Axes with angle head?

Hi Guys,

Got a job coming up really soon that i need to use a right angle head with. I dont have much experience with right angle heads, and with how they are programmed etc. I think this is doable in my CAM software, but not really sure how much of a hassle it will be, or how many limitations I might find. I got to thinking, with my dynomotion setup it probably wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure a new init file to swap all the axes around. Maybe even just setup a couple M codes to switch back and forth. Turn X into Z, Z into Y and Y into X. Basically converting my VMC into a HMC. Should be able to program everything the exact same way im used to now, use tool length offsets etc. Might have to be a little careful at start and end of program, possibly have to change a few things.

Any thoughts? Will this work ok or am i missing something? Note that I wont be using the machine vertically and with the angle head at the same time, in the same program. This will be an angle head that bolts onto spindle and the machine will only be used this way for this operation. Thanks.

Mark

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Swapping Axes with angle head?

Hi Mark,

That should work. Re-define the coordinate system.

The only glitches I can think of are that the Tool Setup | Trajectory Planner settings may need updating as well. If the axis resolutions, max velocities, max accelerations, Jog speeds are different for the different axes. You might want to create a different KMotionCNC Configuration for each mode.

Also the Jog Buttons may need to be re-positioned. For example Z jog buttons might be positioned to show left/right rather than up/down. The Lathe screen face might possibly work or a new Screen might be created.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

I didnt think of that, and your right, my Z axis uses a finer pitch ballscrew so it would be different. Still looks like it may be an option, but starting to get more complicated to switch back and forth.

If I were to try and get my cam software to do this, how would i handle different tool lengths? I will be needing to change to 2-3 tools in the same RAH. Would be nice if i could just use the G43 height compensation as I do now but this is for the Z axis obviously. I would need to offset in the X. I just noticed in the tool table there is a place for X and Y offset. Can this be used to handle different tool lengths in a RAH? Are these offsets turned on and off by some code or are they active any time there is a value in the table and that tool is in the spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mark,

Some Users configure their KFLOP axes to operate in some standard units like microns by using appropriate Input/Output Gains. If you did that it would eliminate the need to swap resolutions in KMotionCNC. The max velocities and max accelerations would still be an issue unless you set them all to the lower of either of the 2 associated KFLOP axes.

Yes the tool table supports offsets in X and Y as well as Z (length). The XY offsets are applied and removed the same as the length compensation. Turned on with G43 and off with G49. They are commonly used with Lathes and with systems with multiple spindles.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so G43 applies all three offsets the same time. I was thinking the tool length compensation in the X would be a much bigger problem, but sounds like it will be no problem at all. Nice that we have the option to do this. On a mill with fanuc control im pretty sure you can offset Z axis only for each tool.

Ill figure it out somehow from here anyway. Maybe post some pictures when i get the job done. Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the angle head mounted and got the programming figured out, everything working good. Heres a video of the first job: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C51...ew?usp=sharing

The other end of this part needs to be done the same way but with multiple tools. Will use the G43 X offset to deal with the different lengths. Should work great. Thanks again for the help Tom.