Newbie Can Kanalog be used as a source vs sinking for relays.

Thread: Can Kanalog be used as a source vs sinking for relays.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can Kanalog be used as a source vs sinking for relays.

We're retrofitting a Motion Master that had Fagor 8050 controls. The old system sourced the relays, I'd like to source the relays using Kanalog to include the relay that enables the Glentek drivers. On page 333 there is a relay driver diagram for the Kstep that is set up the way I want to wire the Kanalog.

The Kanalog manual states"Normally a load, such as a relay coil is connected between some appropriate +supply and a Switch input. Therefore when the Switch makes a connection to ground, the load is energized." can the Kanalog be wired power supply sending 24 volts to the Kanalog and the Kanalog sending the 24 volts to the relay that enables the Glentek?

George

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can Kanalog be used as a source vs sinking for relays.

Hi George,

No. The Kanalog Relay Driver Outputs can only sink to GND. They can not source voltage.

If the Relays take less than 25ma a Kanalog Opto Output could work.

Consider adding a Konnect its Outputs can source or sink current up to 250ma.

A 3rd Party Relay Driver board such as this could work.

If you post the specifications of the Glentek and the relay involved we might be able to come up with alternate solutions.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate the info. The relays are idec ry4s-u they draw 37.5 ma. The Glenteks are ga370-3. The relays are normally closed and the lockouts are grounded/ the drives disabled. When powered the relays open the lockouts and enable the Glenteks. This is part of a 6 relay system. 5 are 37.5ma, 2 are used in the Glentek application above, 1 enables the vfd forward, 1 reverses the vfd, 1 is currently unused with all of the wires going to components that no longer exist (monitors, pendants, etc) The remaining relay which is different enables the 120v system and draws 75ma. All of those are require a sourcing controller in their current configuration.

It's been looking like we might need more I/O as we tracked down all the wires and systems, I think the need for a Konnect has been inevitable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi George,

I dont follow all that but it seems the Glentek "lockout" signal itself can be driven with only 3ma. So you might conider removing the relay and driving it diectly with a Kanalog Opto Output. Maybe the same could be done with the VFD signals as well.

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com