G code error - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G code error

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G code error

Ran chkdsk on thumb drive and hard drive no errors.
    I do eject I do not just pull out thumb drives.
    I did buy a new thumb drive and will use the new one.
    Pin 16 o JP11 is connected to chassis/earth ground I will remove that.
    The wire for the analog +/- 10vdc is shielded but is ground at the vfd side only as per the Delta C200 instructions should I disconnect the shield from the vfd side and connect it to the Kanalog side?
    I did not change any stings in the vfd.
    All cables are rated for machine use.
    I bought a Samsung solid state hard drive and will change out the hard drive in the computer, just think that would be better for a machine environment, maybe over kill, if problem persists I will try another computer after I fix all the other stuff.
    The power cable from the vfd and motor is shielded, bought as a vfd shielded cable from uargra however I did not ground the cable shield at either end, I will do that.
    The cables to the limit switches are twisted shielded and chassis grounded on one end at the control panel, is that proper?
    The cables to the stepper motors are twisted shield cables grounded on one end at the control panel, is that proper?
    The negative side of the power supplies feeding the Gecko drives feeding the stepper motors are chassis grounded on the negative side in the control cabinet, is that proper?
    The usb cable is draped over a gecko drive, I will move that. Should I get a usb isolator or wait and see if the other fixes solve the problem or is it just a good practice to use an isolator?

Please let me know about the questions I asked and I will let you know the results, It will take me a week or two to getter done.

Thanks Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Delta manual wiring diagram most likely shows grounding the shield at the VFD when the VFD is the source of the analog signal, such as when using a potentiometer. However now the source is the KAnalog, so ground the shield at the source, KAnalog. See https://www.winemantech.com/blog/top...-test-systems/

Typically, only one end of a shied is terminated, and is terminated at the zero-signal reference potential (common) for the signals contained within a shield.
    For best practices for wiring VFD see this document:
    https://info.belden.com/hubfs/resour...=1531332510474

From above:
    Do I terminate the shield at both ends?
    Drive cable shields should always be terminated at the motor and
    at the drive. Intermediate termination of the ground or shield is not
    recommended. The shield acts as a conductor for common mode current
    containment. Failure to terminate the shields and grounds properly could
    result in harmful electrical noise or destructive common mode currents
    flowing in the ground grid. Intermediate grounding of the shield can cause
    the unintended release of shield currents and resulting electrical noise.
    I don't have the answers to all your questions. I would check with Gecko. If you mean the DC power supply V- output, I would think no. As you've now coupled your DC ground to the noisy AC ground. But I don't have any experience with that type of setup.

My simple rules are to keep the AC high voltage ground (VFD, power supplies etc) separate from the low voltage control common/grounds (kflop/kanalog, 5/24VDC power supply).

An isolator can't hurt. I use one between my laptop and KFLOP.

Greg.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe,

Could you check the USB shield connectivity with an ohm meter like I asked before?

I assume you meant to say KMotionDLL - GCode Error.

From your diagram it looks like you have a lot of earth gnd connections and ground loops. Basically no KFLOP or Kanalog connectors should have earth ground connections. Ideally all the Gecko 70V motor power circuitry and the 24V circuitry should be totally isolated or connected together at one point. I like to remove all earth ground connections and verify infinite resistance between circuits to be sure there are no connections then either leave the circuits isolated or add one connection. A USB isolator may be needed to achieve this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies, I installed a solid state hard drive and have a new thumb drive I will use. I upgraded to version 4.34 and copied the data files to the upgraded version. When I added the copied files I had to copy all the individual data files copying the entire folder did not work kmotion would not run but copying only the files and replacing files seems to work.

You said "You might upgrade to V4,34 as well as use Windows Device Manager to update the Drivers to those in V4.34."

I can get to the Windows Device Manager but don't know how to update the drivers to those in V4.34 I need the steps to do that.

After installing the solid state hard drive now when I run a simulation of g code in kmotion it runs so fast the only way you can tell it ran is the axis numbers change to the last command. I intentionally put a bad line of code in the g code and the simulation stops at the bad line of code with an error so I know its working.

This is a work in progress. I will remove the chassis ground from the stepper motor supplies, I will connect the stepper motor wire shield only at one end to the VDC negative at the stepper motor power supply.

I will connect the limit switch wire shields only at one end taking them off of chassis ground and connect them to the isolated VDC Negative.

I will add a USB isolator, I will check for less than 1 ohm when I get new batteries for my meter or would the USB isolator take care of any issue with the cable? Should I just get a new cable?

Does the above sound like the proper way to ground the shields?

Thanks Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe,

You said "You might upgrade to V4,34 as well as use Windows Device Manager to update the Drivers to those in V4.34."

I can get to the Windows Device Manager but don't know how to update the drivers to those in V4.34 I need the steps to do that.
    See here

This is a work in progress. I will remove the chassis ground from the stepper motor supplies, I will connect the stepper motor wire shield only at one end to the VDC negative at the stepper motor power supply.
    I'm thinking that earth ground might actually be ok or not a major issue. Probably more important to remove the KFLOP/Kanalog connections to earth ground.

I will add a USB isolator, I will check for less than 1 ohm when I get new batteries for my meter or would the USB isolator take care of any issue with the cable?
    Even with a USB isolator the cables should be shielded. In fact you will then have 2 cables and both should be shielded.

Should I just get a new cable?
    Our experience it that there are many cables that have poor shield connections. So it is best to check to be sure. Basically they lay a wire against the shield and hope it makes connection. Ironically twisting and flexing the cable often "fixes" the cable. So it is also a good idea to flex the cable a bit and verify there is always a solid connection.

Thanks for your patience.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

G Code error work in progress

The good !

Grounded spindle cable shield on both ends, at spindle and at VFD.

Moved limit switch cable shields from chassis ground to 24vdc power supply negative.

Removed chassis ground from Pin 16 on JP11.

Upgraded to solid state hard drive.

Will use new thumb drive.

Connected the wire shield for the VFD analog +/- 10vdc to the ground on the Kanalog ground.

Upgraded Kmotion to version 4.34.

Installed usb isolator SMAKN USB Isolator USB Digital Isolator, bought on Amazon, plugs into USB port, no extra cable required, uses same isolation chip as Olimex.

Left power supplies negative for stepper motors chassis grounded based on reading Gecko recommendation on noise prevention.

The stepper motor cable shields are connected to chassis ground at the power supply end only but I did find one stepper motor shield was laying on the metal frame of the machine, I missed shrink tubing around it, it is now shrink tube insulated.

The not so good !

My USB cable shield resistance is way over 1 ohm, cable is 6 feet long, ordered and waiting for a new 3 foot cable.

Found I also chassis grounded Kflop JP4 pins 8 and 9, I removed those grounds.

Found I also chassis grounded Kflop JP6 pins 8 and 9, I removed those grounds.

When I get the new usb cable I give it a try and see if all this solves the intermittent G code error.

Just giving an update.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12