SBL Magnaturn Retrofit - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SBL Magnaturn Retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SBL Magnaturn Retrofit

You had the close bracket for the For loop in the wrong place. You also had two sets of curly brackets for the For loop.

I've deleted the extra set, and moved the close bracket to where it needs to be.
    I've also fixed the indentation. Indentation is key when programming, as it helps you understand where you are in various loops (for/if/else/do/while loops).
    Whenever you have an open bracket "{", indent a tab, and then whenever there's a close bracket "}" cancel a tab indent. The text editor used in KMotion mostly does this for you when typing, however an badly timed cursor move/return key press can cause the auto-indentation to get it wrong.

It can also be worth adding a comment after a close bracket, saying what's it's closing. On short bits of code it's not really necessary, but on longer blocks it helps you understand the flow without having to scroll up and find the corresponding open bracket.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

HI Troy,

Well yes, anything after a forever loop will only execute after forever - which is never.

That code needs to be inside the forever loop for it to be continuously executed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now iam moving on to wiring my control panel. (Physical buttons and switches.)
    Currently am looking for a way to jog axis with momentary switches/levers. There will be one for each axis. And would be connected to the Konnect board. But, i need a way to set the mode of these switches. Mode1 would be continues Jog and mode2 would be step Jog. Mode1 would get the feed rate from my feed box i have on my Manual screen(see attached). And Mode2 would use the step size selected on Manual screen. Which brings up another question. Can a physical button be used to toggle through the Step size radio buttons on KmotionCNC?

Troy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBL Magnaturn Retrofit-manualscreen1-jpg  
    http://www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Now iam moving on to wiring my control panel. (Physical buttons and switches.)
    Currently am looking for a way to jog axis with momentary switches/levers. There will be one for each axis.
    Troy
    If you go lever instead of buttons might as well get a 2 axis joystick kind of lever all in one. My old Mazak lathe has one of these and it is handy for moving it around, probably prefer it over buttons on the newer Mazaks.

Also, nice job on the spindle rebuild!

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I have a working control panel. I made some test cuts and all looks good so far. Need to do some more VFD tuning. But still works good. Next iam making a Press Brake attachment to make my axis way guards. Then will be getting some ball screw covers for Z axis. After this, more sheet metal work for machine enclosure. Then some clips of it making chips.

Something else concerning operating KMCNC Lathe is setting tools and offsets. What is the procedure for this?
    Currently I have been testing with a turning/facing tool by touching tool on od of material, zero X axis, move the amount of part OD toward center of spindle and then zero X again.
    Lathes I have ran in the past I would take a test cut, measure OD, and then enter the measured amount into a DRO for that tool.

Also does or will KMCNC lathe support canned cycles like for Rough OD/ID turning and Facing?

Troy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBL Magnaturn Retrofit-brakepressattachment-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Something else concerning operating KMCNC Lathe is setting tools and offsets. What is the procedure for this?
    Currently I have been testing with a turning/facing tool by touching tool on od of material, zero X axis, move the amount of part OD toward center of spindle and then zero X again.
    Lathes I have ran in the past I would take a test cut, measure OD, and then enter the measured amount into a DRO for that tool.
    Pick a location for Z zero, then it's a case of touching off to set Z zero. You can then rely on work/global/temporary offsets to set the Z zero for parts. Z zero can be wherever is convenient. Some use the spindle face (with no chuck mounted), some use the surface of the chuck, and I still use 30mm from the chuck jaws (all my parts seem to revolve around that length, and I know it's poor form on my part not to follow an established convention, but it works for me).

For X offsets, I do it as you say. Take a test cut, and measure.
    I've got a couple C programs that ask for the measurement, then calculate the offset, before updating the tool table.
    Also does or will KMCNC lathe support canned cycles like for Rough OD/ID turning and Facing?
    Not that I know off, but then all my current part programs I originally created with Mach 3 wizards, and I've had no need to generate any completely new programs for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi m_c,
    For Z axis i usually just set zero at end or face of part.

For X offsets, I do it as you say. Take a test cut, and measure.
    I've got a couple C programs that ask for the measurement, then calculate the offset, before updating the tool table.
    Can you share these programs or is there an example i could look at to attempt to make my own?

Thanks,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Troy,

You should be able to do this. Instead of Zeroing use the "SetX" button and enter the measured diameter.

I don't believe there are any such canned cycles. What specifically would they do? Of course you could always use a subroutine. Morays Conversational approach might be another option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

You should be able to do this. Instead of Zeroing use the "SetX" button and enter the measured diameter.
    Will give it a go.

The canned cycles iam refering to is like the ones Fanuc uses, see links below.

Fanuc G71 Turning Cycle - Helman CNC
    CNC Fanuc G72 Canned Cycle Facing - Helman CNC

Thanks,
    Troy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like Morays C program should be great for X. Tom if you used "SetX" wouldnt that set a G54 value and not actually set anything for the tool? A second tool, would just set another different value for g54 then, so not sure that would work. Whatever your doing for Z in your mill should work in the lathe too. Bunch of ways of doing it, everybody has their favorite.

I have a friend who uses Mach3 on a lathe and it seems to work well. Generates its own code for simple stuff like Moray is saying. I wouldnt use it as a controller, but probably not a bad idea to generate some basic code. Tom, the G71 roughing cycles (not actually a canned cycle) are basically used to define finished shape of a part, and the control generates multiple depth passes to rough out the final shape without a million lines of code. Probably not an easy thing to add.

Troy, post some pics of the press brake as your building it. Thats a project ive been meaning to do soon too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom if you used "SetX" wouldnt that set a G54 value and not actually set anything for the tool? A second tool, would just set another different value for g54 then, so not sure that would work.
    Thats what i just found out. Although i think it just sets the global as the Work offsets dont change when set X.

Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mark,
    Here is 1st stages of press.
    SBL Magnaturn Retrofit-20181209_133849-jpegSBL Magnaturn Retrofit-20181209_133859-jpeg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast