Dead boards and testing

Thread: Dead boards and testing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dead boards and testing

Hi, I have a retrofit I did several years ago using a Kflop, Kanalog, and 3 Konnect boards. It's worked well since the refit. Recently the machine operator took it upon himself to hunt down a shorted solenoid coil and in the process he managed to kill the Kflop possibly by misuse of a multimeter. The Kflop and Kanalog were replaced as a pair, and the system seemed to be working fine save for a couple of fried output bits on the Konnects. The operator went at it again doing some testing and killed another Kflop. At this point I've purchased a new one alone without a new Kanalog. I have no idea what testing was being done to cause this, mostly because the person doing the testing has little idea what he was doing.... Now I'm a little gunshy about connecting this new board to others that are questionable. The simple question is this: Do I have any risk of frying this new Kflop by connecting it to a possibly damaged Kanalog, or possibly damaged Konnects? I'm exclusively asking about the boards here. Obviously if there is some wiring issue I'll have to hunt it down. Is there any testing I can do on the Kanalog, possibly feeding it power and observing some LED's at all just to see if it is also dead? I might just have to put a lock on the cabinet!

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dead boards and testing

I have not used any dynomotion products but

I would expect the Kflop & Konnect boards will be connected to two independent power supplies

the Kflop and the Kflop interface of the Konnect board to be powered by one power supply

and another isolated power supply to power the Konnect boards opto-isolated I/O connected to your stepper or servo drivers and inputs

I would of expected any short to the relay driver would of only damaged the Konnect board I/O side
    and not the Kflop interface or Kflop its self without bridging the the opto-isolators -
    possibly by inter connecting the power supplies or shorting the tracks on the Konnect board

photos of all the boards and wiring will help

what is supply voltage used to power the relays and are the relays connected to any additional drivers ??

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you John,

I think you are absolutely correct. The separation offered by the opto isolation and separate power supplies is absolutely the case. I've actually had a couple of fried output channels from the very early stages, and the system has worked just fine with that damage. My question refers more to the Kflop connection to the Kanalog. I have no idea what was done to kill the kflop board twice. I believe it was improper use of a multimeter, but have no specific info of what was being probed. The first time I replaced the Kflop and Kanalog as a pair. This time I have purchased only the Kflop. I haven't come up with any way to test the Kanalog board as a standalone part as I don't think it has any LED's other than the channel indicators. I'm now questioning how risky it is to plug in a new Kflop to a Kanalog that I can't be sure of. I have 2 Kanalogs that may be fine or may be fried.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Randysnow,

Sorry to hear this. I agree with everything in the above posts. Kanalog can't really do anything without KFLOP so it's not really possible to test separately. All I can think of is to apply 5V and check for excessive current or if anything gets hot. I think current should be less than 200ma as the +/-15V generator will be off.

Shorting pins on the KFLOP connectors when probing can cause damage. For example Shorting 12V to the 3.3V Reset pin is bad.

Good luck
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

looking at the kflop manual I have just downloaded
    a possible way to damage the I/O is probing the Kflops headers

Dead boards and testing-kflop_connectors_-_2018-02-25_23-18-45-png

using a ribbon cable and breakout board like this would make it safer to probe the Kflop's 2x13 pin header for example

Dead boards and testing-2x13-header-breakout-board-jpg

and with this
    Dead boards and testing-2x8-breakout-jpg

you can probe the 2x8 pin headers

with the same breakout boards you can test the Konnect board to see what voltages would be feed into the Kflop
    if you connected them together

John

PS
    I see TomKerekes beet me to it with regards to with regards to shorting the Kflop connector