Kmotion replaces Mach 3? + Questions

Thread: Kmotion replaces Mach 3? + Questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kmotion replaces Mach 3? + Questions

Does Kmotion completely replace the need for Mach 3?

If so why do people also use Mach 3, familiarity?

Sorry, probably a very newbie question, just trying to budget at the moment (i.e. should I put aside $175 for Mach 3).

I also emailed this to Kflop but if anyone could answer here that would be great:

I am looking for a motion controller, does Kflop require any additional hardware to connect servos? It looks different to most breakout board / controller combos which have lots of green screw terminals.
    I have 3 servos (750w chinese KRS) for x,y,z, and 1 spindle servo (1.8kw chinese KRS), and I am looking to perhaps go 5 axis down the track. I wish to use the spindle servo for rigid tapping. Would Kflop be suitable?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kmotion replaces Mach 3? + Questions

Yes, with KMotion, you do not need Mach3.

People using Mach3 with a KFlop were likely already using Mach3, and just added the KFlop to their system.

Can't answer your other questions.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jd3prints,

I am looking for a motion controller, does Kflop require any additional hardware to connect servos? It looks different to most breakout board / controller combos which have lots of green screw terminals.
    I have 3 servos (750w chinese KRS) for x,y,z, and 1 spindle servo (1.8kw chinese KRS), and I am looking to perhaps go 5 axis down the track. I wish to use the spindle servo for rigid tapping. Would Kflop be suitable?
    What kind of system do you have? Mill? Router?

Are the drives Step/Dir based or Analog? What about the Spindle Drive? Do you need speed control? Do you have the controller interface specifications?

Is the spindle encoder single ended or differential? See
    Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications

Do you require other IO? Such as 24V Limit Switches or push buttons?

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom,

Mill, ~300kgs / 660lbs, RF-45 clone, bench top mill.

Drives are KRS Chinese servos, I believe they are step/dir or analog. to quote the manual:
    "1 位置控制(外部脉冲输入或内部位置指令)1.Position control(External pulse input orinternal position instruction)2 速度控制(外部模拟电压输入或内部速度指令)2.Speed control(External analog voltage input orinternal speed instruction)3 位置/速度控制3.Position/speed control"

Spindle is ALSO a KRS servo drive, but 1.8kw as compared with the axis drives which are all 750w. I read on cnccookbook a servo drive can be advantageous in that it allows repeat tool orientation for ATCs, countering runout, and also allows rigid tapping. VFDs were the same price in my country as an overseas servo. Also, servo makes the head lighter.

I need limit switches as is common with this mill or any mill, and I suppose switches like e-stops etc.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Encoder type seems to be differential, interesting. To quote the manual:
    "2500p/r , 15 线增量型,差分输出。2500p/r,15 line incremental type, differential 7output"

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jd3prints,

You will need to decide whether to go with Step/Dir Position Control or Analog +/-10V Speed Control.

Step/Dir tends to be somewhat simpler and where the servo loop is tuned within the Drive. For this mode you will need to determine the Step/Dir input requirements. KFLOP by itself can drive most Step/Dir drives. But for your other IO you would likely need another option such as our Konnect board.

Analog tends to be more of a complete closed loop control back to the controller and the Servo Position Loop is tuned in KFLOP. This mode would require our Kanalog option. Kanalog also provides other IO which may cover your other requirements.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com