Build Thread Tree325 Retrofit Started - Page 18

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: Tree325 Retrofit Started

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree325 Retrofit Started

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf View Post
    However, I have run into one issue now with my X-axis. It seems to have a very (Micro) junking when moving a larger distance. It seems it is worst in one direction compared to the opposite direction. I have checked the gibs, ball screw, and ball screw bearings which all seem to be well within working specs.
    Is it possible that the tuning of the servo motor would cause such a movement?
    ...Yes. I have not read this whole thread but, if you are still using the Servo Dynamics AMP's check out the manual for tuning. Or maybe just swap X to Y boards and see if the problem moves with the swap.

Downloads
    Uploads

When traveling at longer distances you are reaching the max speed and staying there longer. Every digital system has a required time period in micro seconds that it requires to see a pulse. That value could be 2 micro seconds or it could be 10 or 15 micro seconds. Tom K can tell you what it is.

The higher encoder resolution the more accurate you should be able to control your moves, but also the easier it is to drop below the required minimum time window for a pulse to be identified. If you have access to an O-scope you can measure it. Alternatively you can try reducing your max IPS movement by 10 or 20%.

I have had counting issues in one direction before, and every time it was an encoder problem:
    - Pull up resistors needed (Dynomotion),
    - Pull up resistor damaged (unrelated project),
    - "Upgraded" an encoder to one with too many lines of resolution (that was a motor controlling angular position and it required a 10 microsecond pulse. Above 6000 rpm we were dropping into the single digits and we started randomly missing counts)

GreggMI

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf View Post

Hello,
    It has been a while since I posted on this build. In general, this machine/controller has been working well.
    However, I have run into one issue now with my X-axis. It seems to have a very (Micro) junking when moving a larger distance. It seems it is worst in one direction compared to the opposite direction. I have checked the gibs, ball screw, and ball screw bearings which all seem to be well within working specs.
    Is it possible that the tuning of the servo motor would cause such a movement? When I feel the ball screw while moving a larger distance, it almost feels as if it is hunting (for position) very fast (though very small, micro hunting) as this rotating for movement.
    I was hoping to get some help and/or advice from those with much more experience than I on this controller and/or the use of ball screw with servo motors.
    What would be advised to check into to resolve this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...Yes. I have not read this whole thread but, if you are still using the Servo Dynamics AMP's check out the manual for tuning. Or maybe just swap X to Y boards and see if the problem moves with the swap.
    Yes, I have the original docs. on these drives and the tuning of them; however, I have been putting off these drive board tuning hoping I had to only tune through Kflop and in general it has worked ok. I am thinking it is now time to start tuning on the original drives and then re-tuning with Kflop. But both these types tuning really challenge me in getting it correct.

Swapping boards will certainly prove the issue is an excellent idea. I do know that the Y-axis tuned very good in Kflop when I did it 2+ years ago.

I was told by another guy that the humidity / temperature can play a big role on tuning these old drives and it has been 90-95°F. with over 75% humidity the last few weeks in NC. I really need to get some AC going in the garage as well to keep a more constant temperature.

I will post back once I attempt a few things .... thanks for all the reply posts.

Last edited by PeterTheWolf; 07-27-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718