Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Hello Tom and all,
    My Hurco at home is getting a update. It currently has a old Dynapath Delta 20 control on it. One of the Yaskawa drives power supplies went out so iam just going to do retrofit now...anyone interested in some Yaskawa or Dynapath parts?

Anyhow, will of course be using KFLOP, Kanalog and a Konnect to get started with. BTW, Tom, why does all Dynomotion products start with a K? If you can.
    Will be using DMM Tech 1.8KW servos directly coupled with ballscrews. Eventually will have Glass or Digital linear scales on all 3 axis and will be building or making a tool changer fit mill. Used to have one but somewhere in the mills life it got stripped.

Right now i have the zero backlash couplings made and instaled. The motor mounts are made and installed. Servos mounted. Right now am working on mounting the proximity sensors and mounting a cable carrier for the Y axis motion.

Tom or anyone, have you used Windows7 embedded with Dynomotion software?

Here is some pics so far. First thing i did to machine was get rid of that butt ugly blue.

Thanks again,
    Troy

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1529-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1539-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1547-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1551-jpg  

Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1557-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-100_1558-jpg  
    www.tsjobshop.com, www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Here is pics of couplings, mounts and servos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-xaxis-coupling-mount-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-yaxisservo-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-zaxisservo-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work troy!

Looks like a good start. Going to be killer with dynomotion running things.

Andrew

Andrew

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Got proximity sensors boxes made and mounted. Plus Y axis cable carrier and some wiring ran.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-x-axis-servocables-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-x-axis-prox-sensors-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-y-axis-cablecarrier-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-z-axis-prox-sensors-jpg  

Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-y-axis-prox-sensors-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-cablecarrierjunctionbox1-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-cablecarrierjunctionbox2-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-cablecarrierjunctionbox3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Been doing some gutting of electrical cabinet, rewiring,re routing and mounted drives. Still need to shorten drive cables, but will do this after machine is up and moving. Just ordered Dynomotion boards. Once i get those i can size up placement of them and PC, which is a Tangent PC.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-old-control-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-img_0001-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-img_0002-jpg   Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-img_0003-jpg  

Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-img_0004-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Been doing some wiring and mounting of more items in cabinet. Got a electrical question. What device/main disconnect is there that will protect my single phase 120/220VAC devices from 3 phase input if legs are reversed? Example: Main disconnect has L1,L2,L3 which would be 120V,120V and 240V(wild leg). All single phase hardware in electrical cabinet wired to L1 and L2 and the wild leg 240V gets wired to L1 or L3. How can this be protected?
    Iam finding different Voltage Monitoring devices,(which iam not sure ab but is there a Main disconnect switch that will do this?

Thanks for any help,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using a RPC or have 3 phase delta in your shop?

The common way of isolating the 120V devices is with transformer. The main switch will break the circuit to all 3 legs. I normally connect the 2 ''hots'' to L1 and L2, then the wild leg to L3. The only place the L3 goes is to the 3 phase devices. L1 and L2 would connect to the transformer which would be wired for 240V in, and 120V out. I would not bring a neutral into the cabinet from the wall. I also identify the wild leg with yellow or orange tape on both ends. With transformer isolation, it really doesn't matter which legs are connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Are you using a RPC or have 3 phase delta in your shop?

The common way of isolating the 120V devices is with transformer. The main switch will break the circuit to all 3 legs. I normally connect the 2 ''hots'' to L1 and L2, then the wild leg to L3. The only place the L3 goes is to the 3 phase devices. L1 and L2 would connect to the transformer which would be wired for 240V in, and 120V out. I would not bring a neutral into the cabinet from the wall. I also identify the wild leg with yellow or orange tape on both ends. With transformer isolation, it really doesn't matter which legs are connected.
    I have a American Rotatory 20HP CNC duty RPC.

Your main service wiring procedure is what i practice, but was wondering if there was a device to protect against the (L3)240V wild leg being wired at main disconnect, to L1 or L2. Like a relay that would disconnect the L1 and L2 lines if either one was over voltage. As for transformers, would you use a Buck/Boost transformer for the 120v devices such as PC,Monitor,DC power supplies, other Digital devices? And a Control Transformer for things such as mechanical relays, contactors, motor starters,etc.? Or just one big transformer for all?

Thanks for the advice,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose there might be a way of doing that, but it's realy not needed. Just make sure that you identify that particular wire in your system, as said above, I use orange or yellow tape to identify that wire. None of the wires will be ''over voltage'' relative to the other two. The voltage measurement between any two wires will be ~240V, the only place you might get a high leg is relative to neutral and ground. Since you are not bringing in a neutral from the wall, this is not an issue. The ground (green wire) of course will be connected from the wall to the appropriate places in the RPC, panel, and machine in general.

You would want to use an isolation (control) transformer not a buck transformer. So yes, one big transformer. A buck/boost transformer has the primary and secondary connected together so does not provide isolation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. It was just something that i had been wondering about for awhile.
    Yup, no neutral being brought in. On that note, is it ok to run 120V neutrals that are inside of CNC cabinet to the ground (PE) terminal block?

Transformer sizing, i know there is the inrush VA that needs to be figured for contactors,starters and such.But if iam going to have about 10-15 amps total of 120/220 VAC current, would the proper transformer size be 2.0 KVa?

Thanks again,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Ok. It was just something that i had been wondering about for awhile.
    Yup, no neutral being brought in. On that note, is it ok to run 120V neutrals that are inside of CNC cabinet to the ground (PE) terminal block?

Transformer sizing, i know there is the inrush VA that needs to be figured for contactors,starters and such.But if iam going to have about 10-15 amps total of 120/220 VAC current, would the proper transformer size be 2.0 KVa?

Thanks again,
    Troy
    Yes, you can ground one side of the transformer output (120 V side) to the cabinet ground.

Don't worry too much about the inrush on inductive loads (starters), the transformer will easily handle momentary overloads. Capacitive loads like linear power supplies can have enormous inrush loads, but unless you have huge power linear power supplies in the system, it is normally not an issue. I would expect the largest inrush load to be the computer power supply. I am assuming that the servo drives are powered by the 240V power, and not by the control power (120V)

As for transformer sizing, let's talk about what the 120V is actually running. On my router, I have a 500VA (0.5KVA) powering the computer and all of the controls and contactors. That Acme transformer hanging on the side of the machine looks to be big enough to run all of the controls, but I can't read the specs on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Servo Drives are 3 phase 220. The logic of drives is 220.

120v devices are currently (1) 5VDC@120VAC/ 1.1A input, (1) 12VDC@120VAC/1.45A input , (1) 24VDC@120VAC/ 2.25A input MeanWell power supplies, 15" LCD monitor, Tangent PC (4.74 amps or 90watts @ 19V), couple 4" or 5" fans.And maybe a cabinet cooler, it will most likely be 220 thow.

The transformer on side of machine is a General Purpose/Buck,Boost , dont recall the size, will check it when i get home. Machine also has a .5KVa Control Transformer from original setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should be fine with a 0.5KVA transformer. None of the devices will draw full current most of the time. I'm a bit confused as to why you need all the different power supplies, seems a bit odd in a new system. Encoders are normally 5V, but everything else is normally 24V (10-30V for sensors), and the operator panel pushbuttons are normally wired for 120VAC or 24VDC.

For the logic side of the drives, if it is possible to operate those on the 120V control power supply, that's what I would do. This would supply a bit ''cleaner'' power to them. I don't think the buck/boost transformer will be of any use in the current system.

Looks like you also have a 305 PLC sitting there, that could be useful for a lot of fun projects and adding capability to your machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 12VDC is mostly a "just in case" is why i got a 12VDC supply.

The drives logic wire to L1 and L2 with a line filter on each drive. They are fused for 1 amp.The Buck/Boost is 1.5KVa. It wasnt doing anything with old control, it was wired up but nothing was hooked up to it.

Ya, iam undecided on what to do with the PLC. There is so much that can be done with Dynomotion boards and C programming, that i dont know if i want another learning curve of a PLC I have thought about using it when i put a tool changer on machine.But, leaning more toward selling it with the old Delta 20 control.

Thanks again for the help,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

If you should decide to use the PLC for something, I have the software to program it and you are welcome to a copy. I have both DOS and Windows versions. I used to run the DOS version in a DOS window in WinXP, not sure if it would be compatible with Win10. I started out PLC programming on the 305 series back in the early 80s, it was a GE product back then. Most of the current modules and CPUs are backward compatible all the way back to the beginning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, i appreciate that, this is one reason i didn't want to mess with it. Software i found was to costly. I still keep a couple XP boxes for such occasions. Thats something they are backwards compatible like that, in a world where everything is obsolete in a couple years and throw it away.

Downloads
    Uploads

I sent a PM to you

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it, thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is a Dry Type Power Transformer the same as a Machine Control Transformer? I have access to one that is a GE 9T51Y9, Primary 240/480 Secondary 120/240 .750KVA. Was thinking of using it as it is in a case and i could mount it outside of cabinet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Is a Dry Type Power Transformer the same as a Machine Control Transformer? I have access to one that is a GE 9T51Y9, Primary 240/480 Secondary 120/240 .750KVA. Was thinking of using it as it is in a case and i could mount it outside of cabinet.
    Functionally the same, just packaged differently. So yes, it will work fine.

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast