Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit - Page 21

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021

Thread: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit

You need to check if your encoder outputs quadrature.If it's true, it will be easier and cheeper to buy a Granit device driver for that.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    I went through this last year with a Yaskawa motor on my 4th axis. I also needed a drive and seemed like the simplest and cheapest option for me was to swap it out. If you have a strange mounting setup for the gear you may be able to modify it to use something simpler on the new motor. Might be worth measuring up the gear. Lots of times they end up being standard sizes. Might be able to buy a blank gear for cheap and just bore and broach it for the new motor and call it a day.

You probably can reuse the motor if you really want. You will most likely need to fit your own encoder as Fanuc encoders probably wont work with anything else. I think Tom told me last year that snap amp would work. But the max voltage would have limited speed and I would have needed a separate power supply. Also theres something about finding the commutation angle with AC servos, seemed a little complicated to me. I decided it was easier to sleeve my gear and mount a DMM motor and drive. Been working great. Running parts on the 4th as I type this.
    Thought about this also but the current gear is much to hard to machine a straight bore, would need to be ground. It is also looks like the teeth have been lapped, judging by the high finish. Getting a gear with the same quality would be expensive. Will check to see if a gear is available.
    Thanks,
    Troy

http://www.homecncstuff.elementfx.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Your Fanuc motor may be commutated by the main computer. It is a crazy system. I faced the same thing when I did the retrofit on my lathe. I finally gave up on the idea of trying to use the Fanuc servos & drives and went with all DMM servos. I just simply bored my original taper bore timing belt sprockets and shrunk them onto the DMM shafts, I'm sure you could do the same thing with whatever your 4th axis drive requires.
    I was reading something similar from another retrofit control package that make there own drives for Fanuc servos. They showed how to replace the encoder and use there software to adjust the commutation.
    Do you know if there is a certain way to disassemble a AC servo? Read something years ago about some servos and steppers will lose magnetic strength when removing the stator from winding.
    Thanks,
    Troy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swat cat View Post
    You need to check if your encoder outputs quadrature.If it's true, it will be easier and cheeper to buy a Granit device driver for that.
    Will get number of encoder and see what i can find.
    Thanks,
    Troy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    Thought about this also but the current gear is much to hard to machine a straight bore, would need to be ground. It is also looks like the teeth have been lapped, judging by the high finish. Getting a gear with the same quality would be expensive. Will check to see if a gear is available.
    Thanks,
    Troy
    How is yours configured? I guess its servo directly driving the worm gear is it? Probably would be hard to find one of those. Mine has a spur reduction before worm gear, so a little easier to deal with. I just sleeved my gear initially but the straight spur gears were a little noisy at high speed so I bought a set of helical spur gears from KHK. They had the exact sizes I needed. Great company to deal with. Japanese quality and they have a warehouse in the US. Might want to check with them.

A new drive and encoder swap sounds like a good option too if you can get it to work. I've heard about loosing magnetization as well. I dont know details but I would certainly find out for sure before pulling anything apart.

Downloads
    Uploads

From what i know you can loose magnetization from overheating the motor. Inside are neodymium magnets.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

So i found a older post that goes over the same encoder i have, sounds like he may have replaced the encoder? The thread has not been updated on what he did.Think i might contact Granite Devices and see what info they have.
    https://en.industryarena.com/forum/p...01--89786.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurco BMC20 Dynomotion Retrofit-encoder-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Need TECH Help! View Post
    I was reading something similar from another retrofit control package that make there own drives for Fanuc servos. They showed how to replace the encoder and use there software to adjust the commutation.
    Do you know if there is a certain way to disassemble a AC servo? Read something years ago about some servos and steppers will lose magnetic strength when removing the stator from winding.
    As far as disassembling a servo motor and losing magnetic strength in the rotor, I have heard the same thing, but I don't believe it. My suspicion is that someone really screwed up the job, probably the commutation, and blamed it on demagnetizing the rotor. It a neodymium permanent magnet assembly, about the only way you can demagnetize that is with heat, a very powerful AC field, or beat the hell out of it with a hammer.

Disassembly and reassembly can be a bit tricky, you have to control the rotor on the way out and back in, you don't want it banging on the stator or other parts. And it's going to want to grab onto any iron. I would think that a wood or aluminum plug with a bearing size pocket in the end and that was a slip fit in the stator would be a good idea, this would allow you to control the rotor as it's pulled out. It is not going to want to come out because of the magnet, so it needs to be pulled out with a screw type puller assembly, and reinstalled the same way. To really do it right, you are going to have to build a fixture to disassemble and reassemble, preferably out of non-magnetic materials.

I would be tempted to reengineer the drive system on the 4th axis and install the DMM servo. Maybe using parts of the Fanuc motor so that gear relationship is not disturbed. I have done things like that before, but then again I'm half crazy

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would be tempted to reengineer the drive system on the 4th axis and install the DMM servo. Maybe using parts of the Fanuc motor so that gear relationship is not disturbed. I have done things like that before, but then again I'm half crazy
    That was one of my first thoughs as well. I was picturing the fanuc shaft cut in half running inside custom made double bearing block made with the same flange dimensions as the existing motor. Have part of the old fanuc shaft sticking out of the back of this bearing block and apply power to that. If all else fails. lol

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont think thats to crazy...so does that make me crazy?

Contacted Granite Devices and they said that the Argon is match for this servo and as long as the encoder is incremental that there Argon drive will work well.
    Still looking for more info on encoder.

Thanks,
    Troy

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021