Need Help! K2cnc spindle stopped for KG-4925 - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: K2cnc spindle stopped for KG-4925

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: K2cnc spindle stopped for KG-4925

Robert,

The other thing is you are seeing no ERROR codes on start up which normally would be populated it some major defect was found?

I am looking at the troubleshooting flow chart, need to check the reactor settings, it says it will not run without a reactor between B1 and B2 unless programmed correctly, checking that now.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

No in your situation you do not need a reactor or a brake resistor they say there is a short between those terminals.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Russ,

I still have VDC at AUI and it changes when I change the speed.

I will look around to see if I have a 3ph motor.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

You can change the JOG frequency to 60Hz the default is very low, so do the following changes and then try to jog the motor, since it will not require a frequency change.

01-14, set it to 60
    02-00, set it to 00
    02-10, set it to 00

This moves control back to the VFD keypad. Go and set these then power cycle the VFD and when it comes up again just press in on the JOG key and hold it down the motor should start spinning.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Changed setting:
    When I hold "jog" it says 60.00 but no movement.

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

When you do this, what do the other screens show?

Keep your finger on JOG and check the other displays. You might need to change display first and then press JOG. Want to see if the VFD thinks it is putting frequency and current to motor outputs.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

F stays at 60
    H goes to 60 when jogged.
    U stays at 0.00
    A stays at 0.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

This seems to imply the VFD thinks it is sending the frequency to the MOTOR bus but no amperage is flowing. The one last check would be to have someone hold a volt meter between two motor legs on the VFD terminals while you press jog. If there is no voltage present pretty sure sign the VFD got fried when you guys have a power surge at the building. The one other test would be to try this again with some small three phase motor designed to run at 220V under 3HP. My guess is the VFD is bad, hopefully the HSD spindle is still good. The scary part is often when disaster strikes it can take out the VFD and Spindle. That normally happens if the motor is spinning when the issue occurs.

Here is a used VFD, same as your but requires 3 phase input, used for $250 or BEST OFFER. located in California, might be able to get it for $200
    Delta AC Servo Drive VFD B PN VFD022B23A Includes Free Shipping | eBay

someone on ebay has a used unit that is good for 3HP, same unit as your except it requires 3-phase input which you have available, for $250 + 20 = $270
    Delta VFD B Servo Drive VFD022B23A 3 H P | eBay

someone else on ebay has a BRAND NEW 5HP unit, the same as yours except it can handle a slightly larger motor, 3-phase input, for $400
    Delta VFD037B23A AC Motor VFD 3 7KW 5HP 230V 3Phase Inverter Drive | eBay

It would be good if you could test the VFD on another motor to ensure the VFD is toast, which is what I suspect. Of if you know someone who has a 3HP Delta VFD you could use to test the spindle.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help Russ.

I will see if anyone has a motor I can use to test.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Robert,

This seems to imply the VFD thinks it is sending the frequency to the MOTOR bus but no amperage is flowing. The one last check would be to have someone hold a volt meter between two motor legs on the VFD terminals while you press jog. If there is no voltage present pretty sure sign the VFD got fried when you guys have a power surge at the building. The one other test would be to try this again with some small three phase motor designed to run at 220V under 3HP. My guess is the VFD is bad, hopefully the HSD spindle is still good. The scary part is often when disaster strikes it can take out the VFD and Spindle. That normally happens if the motor is spinning when the issue occurs.

Here is a used VFD, same as your but requires 3 phase input, used for $250 or BEST OFFER. located in California, might be able to get it for $200
    Delta AC Servo Drive VFD B PN VFD022B23A Includes Free Shipping | eBay

someone on ebay has a used unit that is good for 3HP, same unit as your except it requires 3-phase input which you have available, for $250 + 20 = $270
    Delta VFD B Servo Drive VFD022B23A 3 H P | eBay

someone else on ebay has a BRAND NEW 5HP unit, the same as yours except it can handle a slightly larger motor, 3-phase input, for $400
    Delta VFD037B23A AC Motor VFD 3 7KW 5HP 230V 3Phase Inverter Drive | eBay

It would be good if you could test the VFD on another motor to ensure the VFD is toast, which is what I suspect. Of if you know someone who has a 3HP Delta VFD you could use to test the spindle.

Russ
    I have been silently following this thread to better understand my own machine and looking into other issues that I may come across. Is there anyway to take preemptive measures to combat the surge to a 240V to the VFD and spindle so that there wouldn't be a costly replacement of the spindle or VFD? Would the circuit breaker not be enough for the surge if it should happen?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Imaginer,

To be honest there is not an easy cost effective way to avoid this situation. The most common way is to use an isolation transformer than can absorb some variations in incoming power. You can't put breakers on the motor side of the VFD as if they tripped it would destroy the VFD, similar to unplugging a stepper motor while it is power it can blow the driver chips. On longer power and motor leads something they use reactors to help control surges, but again they are expensive and not 100% full proof. The situation here is the fact there was construction work taking place near the building and the school light took surges and lighting was impacted which made it obvious. You could put a contactor which is a large relay on the AC power input side and have a surge device control the contactor but, normally that is what you use as an estop method. If you look on the zone many people have lost the VFD or VFD and Spindle which as you said is very costly. Many times this is caused because one of the items dies like the VFD and it takes out the spindle in the process.

Robert's spindle seems to measure correctly so hopefully he only needs a VFD. I noticed some of the setting in your VFD file for parameters did not make sense to me since you are controlling the spindle via an analog signal from the K2CNC breakout card. I am not sure if your spreadsheet which I used with Robert was populated correctly, but several of the setting did not make sense to me you might want to review them and update you spreadsheet again and share here, but I am almost positive I have had him adjust all the correct parameters. The interesting thing on Robert's VFD he is NOT getting any error codes which is no very common, so possible there is still a parameter wrong somewhere.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

The VFD consists of several key areas.

1) The incoming AC power is first converted to DC power by going through 6 diodes if you have three phases coming into the VFD.

2) The DC power that gets generated is typically 1.4 x AC incoming voltage. This is pulsating DC

3) The pulsating DC is sent to a group of capacitors, their function is to smooth out the DC so it is much cleaner on the DC bus.

4) The smooth DC power now needs to get converted back into AC power. This is accomplished by using Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT), which switch at high speed about 20Khz

5) The final section is really the control section, this is what controls the display on the VFD and also contains the processor that is controlling all the switching of the transistors.

My guess is your VFD has lost it's IGBT transistors which is the most common thing to go bad.

I had a troubleshooting guide that could help you determine what is bad, Rectifier Diodes, Caps, or Transistors, but it was over 1MB so it was bigger than what they would let me upload.

What is a Variable Frequency Drive?

The site above does a good job explaining this stuff, which you might find useful.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ,

Is there a different way to send the troubleshooting guide? Maybe it's listed for downloading on a site?

I'm currently trying to find someone on campus who can help verify that the VFD is actually dead before requesting funds for repair. I do not have a repair budget to work with. I'm also slowly going through the manual and trying to understand the errors I'm getting in the pr. Russ, I was wondering if you had any insight into what would cause the error in the 00-06-4.22 pr. line? This is read only and it lists the software version. It's listing the correct software. Could the software have gotten corrupted and can the software be re-downloaded? I've tried to find this answer on the web with out luck.

Also, most of the "reserved" pr. spots have error messages as well as 00-01-11 which is "rated current display of AC motor drive"' This is the correct current.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

You will get an error on any parameter that is read only, this is not an issue. I have the same exact VFD good for 1HP motor the same exact thing happens. Send me a PM with you email address and I can send you the troubleshooting file. The parameter 00-06 is for the software version this is read only and gets updated with the software in the VFD gets updated. There is normally a utility file that talks to the VFD using a serial interface and it flashes the firmware into the VFD. I am pretty sure that is not the issue on your VFD.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all again,

I've had to put this repair project on hold but now I can put some more time into it. I've discovered that the VFD had a blown fuse that is under a circuit board and only accessible if you take it apart. How ever, all of the parameters have been lost. I've been able to restore some of them but I'm still missing some for full control from the K2cnc.

If anyone uses a Delta VFD-B for their K2cnc I was wondering if you could send me a copy of your parameters. This would be a great help since I am not that all familiar with what settings are needed. I will include an excell doc. to help.

Thanks,
    Robert

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I get a copy of these schematics

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so I have a similar problem any help would be greatly appreciated here. I bought a K2 KG9850 (I think that's the right model, it doesn't say anywhere on the machine) second-hand and am trying to get it to work. I played around with Kmotion and KmotionCNC and was able to get it to run a home command and jog the gantry back and forth, which was good except there were a few bugs here and there it seemed. For example, I couldn't get the spindle (HSD ES915) to move at all. Nowadays, the mindset for intermittent bugs in software is that you need to re-install the software or update it, so that's what I did. Not aware exactly what I was screwing up at the time, I downloaded the latest version of the software and flashed the latest version to the machine. Later I came to find out (by reading these forums) that I just erased the C programs on the KFLOP and now I can't figure out any combination of programs that will make it work again. At the moment I'm running these programs on these threads:

Thread #1- bitJog_sLimit.c
    Thread #2- InitStepDir3Axis.c
    Thread #3- StopCallBack.c
    Thread #4- K2_ToolChange.c
    Thread #5- homing_ZYX.c
    Thread #6- k2mc_driver.c
    Thread #7- k2mc_driver.c

I've read through all of the forums that I can find about these machines and being a noob, I am absolutely stuck and seemingly completely screwed. Currently, the machine will connect to Kmotion and the E-stop will activate all of the axes, but then the x-axis starts slowly jogging itself to the right and it does that until I either press the E-stop or it crashes into the limit switch. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or what the list of C programs is supposed to be for this machine? Thank you in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads

jgeisert,
    You need to find someone with a KG-4925 that is willing to send you those programs. You are not the first person who has done this accidently. Building these programs from scratch is not easily done without a good deal of knowledge.

Russ

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678