Help selecting motor/PS combo for KStep

Thread: Help selecting motor/PS combo for KStep

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help selecting motor/PS combo for KStep

I just purchased a machine that is very similar to one owned by someone I know. He is running his with this combo:

CNC Stepper Motor Kit: , Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

He's generally happy, but suggested that if I go with KStep to consider taking advantage of the extra power available and upgrade to larger motors since he finds himself wishing for more power and speed. Being very new to this, I'm really not sure how to go about selecting a good combination of motors and power supply that will work well with KStep. I was hoping to get some suggestions that won't break the bank.

Thanks again for any help.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using PK299-F4.5A vexta stepper in Unipolar mode (620 oz-in), and 48V-10A on my Kflop+Kstep 4'x8' build base on mechmate(all metal) without any lost step.

-PK299-F4.5A $205 each, (I use 4 for my router).
    -Power supply $100-150

Downloads
    Uploads

Be aware that going with larger motors can frequently lead to slower speeds and less power at higher speeds.

Stepper motors lose torque as rpm's increase, and the larger the motor, in general, the faster the torque drops off. Larger motors also have lower maximum rpm's.

Motors need to be properly matched to each particular machine.
    Does your machine use rack and pinion, or leadscrews?
    If screws, what pitch? If rack and pinion, what gear ratio?
    How fast do you want to go? How much weight are you moving?

Typically, you start with a machine design, and decide on a target speed that you want to achieve. Then, you find a motor that will work with the gearing you have, or adjust the gearing to complement a specific motor.

Since you're apparently locked in on your dive system, you need to choose a motor that will best work with what you have. If it's rack and pinion, bigger may be better. If it's leadscrew driven, often times, bigger motors will give worse performance.

Tells us a bit more about the machine you have.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an XZero Raptor 32 coming. Actually, what I decided on was to keep the 381oz steppers that my buddy has in his, but I did move to a larger PS. I think he's using a 48v, 7A PS but I think that's marginally sized for a switching PS and these motors...at least given my experience with cheap power supplies. I moved up to a 48V, 12A supply. That will also let me run a 4th axis.