KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....

Hey Tom,

My KFLOP suddenly "lost connection" while running a rotary table via my kstep driver. I thought maybe the USB had "wiggled" or something, but now when I plug it into the USB slot I get an error saying "the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned....". I attempted the "Recovery" in the KMotion Config & Flash; however, I suspect this was not designed for USB recovery....What do I need to do?

I guess the Good news is I can run the rotary table using a uController for the step train to finish this project, but the bad news is that I won't be able to use my router till I get my kflop fixed. If there is a way to flash it via USART, SPI, TWI or JTAG I am more than willing to give it a try.

Thanks in Advance!

Hunter

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

Could you be more specific on what you are doing and what happens?

The FLASH recovery will not work if the USB doesn't connect. See the Control Panel | Device Manager to see what is indicated.

With everything disconnected from KFLOP except +5V do the LEDs Flash?

Have you tried a different USB location? A different Computer?

Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tom,

Sorry, I posted in a hurry cause I really wanted to finish the project I was working on....that's done, so:

Plug KFLOP into USB outlet, LEDs flash alternately (fast like normal), then go to steady state, both on. KMotion & KMotionCNC both report "Disconnected" when started after KFLOP was plugged in. If KMotion is already running when the USB is plugged in I get the Win7 "Notification" that the USB device has malfunctioned. LEDs appear to flash as normal when plugged into a PC power supply.

As far as a second PC, I have not tested it on anything except my laptop, but I have tried it on several different USB ports on the laptop, the ports are known good with other devices (including the uController interface I used to send pulses to the KStep to finish my project ;-) ) I can install KMotion on a desktop if you think it is possible that the problem is in the laptop, but the KFLOP has been rock-solid on this same laptop since the day I got the KFLOP.

As far as "what happened", I had the KFLOP connected to the KSTEP. I was just using KMotion to turn a rotary table on and off. (MoveAtVel0= -1728000 12000). I would "disable" the stepper in the Digital I/O screen by checking/un-checking IO bit 45. (I just needed the table to turn at a constant feed rate, I wasn't interested in how far it went). I was setting the table and work up to cut a circle in some stainless mesh with a plasma cutter, and I enabled/disabled the stepper many times during the set-up. The last time I clicked "enable" KMotion gave me an error message "No KMotion devices available". I assumed I had bumped the USB cable and tried several times to re-connect. I closed KMotion, ReStarted Windows, etc, etc. I then made a quick post (above) and bread boarded a uController, wrote some code and made a quick VB6 interface to send the pulse train to the KStep. I actually finished the cut @ ~02:00 :-) The KFLOP SEEMS to behave exactly as it always has, right up to the point where KMotion/KMotionCNC won't recognize it (if started after it is plugged in) or the "Win7 Notification" that the "USB device has Malfunctioned".

Again, Thanks in Advance for your help!

Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

Thanks for the additional info, but I haven't heard of anything like that before. I think it would be worthwhile to try a different computer. It might be a case where something in Windows somehow now thinks it is some other device and insists on remembering it. You didn't report what Device Manager indicates the device is. Also try un-installing the Device Driver and re-installing it. Otherwise you will probably need to send the board to us to test and possibly repair it. Switching the Enable on and off constantly probably sends a pretty strong current surge and voltage spike to the motors but it shouldn't be a problem. Are you using KSTEP in isolated mode with the isolation jumpers removed and an isolated +5V supply for KSTEP?

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tom,

No on the Isolated Supply, just using USB power. No Joy on a fresh install on a different PC, same error messages. (Device Manager simply shows the yellow caution; in Properties it says unrecognized device.) I was hoping it might just be a corrupt flash on the USB interface...and perhaps it is something I could fix, but it doesn't sound like this is something you have run into in the past.

I am assuming I need to return this KFLOP to you for repair? Send to:

Tom Kerekes
    3532 Adamsville Ave
    Calabasas, CA 91302

?
    Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

It sounds like maybe a bad USB Chip. There is a FTDI utility to flash the USB configuration but I believe the USB driver needs to load first.

Please send the board to that address with RMA#13

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tom, I will get it out today....

RMA#13 ...... Really? LMAO. At least it would appear that I am among the VERY FEW unlucky people to need an RMA number, hehe.

If you want me to try the FTDI utility prior to returning it, give me the information and I will give it a go.

Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

Here is the link to the FTDI Utility. But I doubt if it will work if Windows is not recognizing it as a valid device.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tom,

Sorry, I had already shipped it. I sent it Thursday morning via USPS "next day", but the lady told me "next day" meant it would arrive Saturday by 15:00, LMAO. I also forgot to put the RMA number on it....I hope that doesn't cause confusion in the Receiving Dept;-) I waived the signature requirement so if it arrived when no one was there they could simply leave it in the mail box.

Hopefully it will be a simple fix...

Thanks In Advance,

Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

We received the board. It wasn't working for us either. There was a fine particulate contamination on the board. It looked ok from a distance but up close it looked pretty bad. See photos. We cleaned the board and now it seems to work fine. We are sending it back.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....-particulate1a-jpg   KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....-particulate2a-jpg  
    Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

WOW, Thanks! I will add building a sealed box to my "to do list". My Desktop CNC is enclosed in a sealed container, so that isn't really a problem, but when the trouble started I had the KFLOP and KSTEP in my shop, and it was very definitely exposed to a dusty environment. I will say that when it stopped working the air was clean, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a contaminate already in place. In fact the previous mill project had involved grinding some stainless steel, it is entirely possible that when I "blew the mill off" after using the rotary table to cut an arc in some wood that some grinding debris got airborne and found its way to the open box containing the KFLOP/KSTEP. I didn't have any trouble until a few hours later when setting up the rotary table to cut a circle from stainless mesh, but I bet something "jiggled" and caused a short....I did blow the board off with air two different times; I should have used some tuner cleaner.

This is obviously my fault, please let me know what I owe you.

Thanks!

Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hunter,

I'm just glad/surprised there was no permanent damage to KFLOP.

We are still in your debt for all the help you provided to others.

Regards

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Tom,

Yea, I was pretty certain the USB chip had gone South, it just happened so suddenly, but your explanation/resolution absolutely point to a simpler, self-inflicted problem. Thank you for the great support and very quick turn-around! Needless to say I am a big fan of your products, I will do what I can to continue to help people discover how great they are.

Hunter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: KFLOP Not Recognized by USB....

Hello Tom, I have the similar issue, but my computer doesnt recognise kflop at all.
    When I start Mach3 I get the message: "Dynomotion board not detected"
    I tryed to restart windows, windows recovery but nothing helped.
    I tryed to clean the board with acetone but no luck.
    I noticed when I plug in the USB the FTDI chip gets hot after few seconds.
    Is that normal or do you think the FTDI is bad?
    The 2 green Leds are working.

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mlinkadelsol,

The FTDI chip U10 should not run hot. It is most likely damaged.

You might check in Window's Device Manager. If the USB is working when connected something should show up.

Regards

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi mlinkadelsol,

The FTDI chip U10 should not run hot. It is most likely damaged.

You might check in Window's Device Manager. If the USB is working when connected something should show up.

Regards
    Hello Tom, a friend owning Local computer service swapped the FTDI chip with new one and now the computer recognise it as USB serial port (COM12) in device manager but when I run MACH3 it still says DynoMotion Board Not Detected.
    Is there any other thing I can try?
    (I forgot to mention that the chip is not overheating anymore.)
    Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mlinkadelsol,

The new FTDI chip will need to be programmed to be recognizable as a KFLOP. There is an FTDI Utility called FT_PROG.exe that can be obtained here:
    FTDI Utilities

Use it to Scan for the Device, then Apply a Template (KFLOP.xml in the KMotion USB Drivers directory), then Program the device, then cycle port. It should then show up as a KFLOP in the Windows Device Manager.

HTH
    Regards.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi mlinkadelsol,

The new FTDI chip will need to be programmed to be recognizable as a KFLOP. There is an FTDI Utility called FT_PROG.exe that can be obtained here:
    FTDI Utilities

Use it to Scan for the Device, then Apply a Template (KFLOP.xml in the KMotion USB Drivers directory), then Program the device, then cycle port. It should then show up as a KFLOP in the Windows Device Manager.

HTH
    Regards.
    Wow, thnx. Ill give it a try, hopefully it was just the FTDI chip fault.
    Thnx. again for your support.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mlinkadelsol View Post
    Wow, thnx. Ill give it a try, hopefully it was just the FTDI chip fault.
    Thnx. again for your support.
    It worked Tom.
    Thank you so much for your support once again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great. Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Regards

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast