Basic question/issue with getting axis moving

Thread: Basic question/issue with getting axis moving

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Basic question/issue with getting axis moving

Last week I was able to quickly get one stepper running on the bench, and everything went smoothly. This morning I wired up another stepper, with the hopes of getting it to be slaved to the first axis. Once I got everything wired...bupkis.

I wired the first stepper according to the image on page 268 of the users manual. The only difference is that I didn't connect a separate 5v source other than USB for the test, and I still ran 5v from the Kflop to the stepper drive (Centent CNO165).

My first configuration with both steppers today was set up with an external 5v power supply wired to the two drives. I didn't run any wires from terminals 23-26 on my BOB. My assumption here was that it was optional for me to use 5v from Kflop or not.

I configured my axes and flashed the configurations to the Kflop. Nothing happened though when I tried sending signals via the Step Response screen.

Is my assumption about 5v supply to the drives correct? I know this is all very basic, but it's where I'm at right now! I'll continue messing around, but if anyone has any ideas, I appreciate it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Spank,

You should post some information on your Stepper Drive and what type of input it has (source? sink? TTL?).

We have no idea what BOB you have or what pins 22-26 would be.

We don't recommend that you flash settings to KFLOP. You really only need to do this if you need to run without any PC connection. With a PC connection it is better to just leave KFLOP in its original state and configure everything each time. That way is less confusing and the history of what has been flashed to the board won't be necessary to remember. You can restore KFLOP to its original state by re-flashing the firmware with the "New Version" button on the config/flash screen.

It is fairly simple to troubleshoot such problems by toggling the Step Pin on KFLOP and checking the signal at each node with a voltmeter as it progresses through your wiring to the stepper drive. If the voltage is toggling appropriately at the input to the Drive then the motor should make a tiny step each time.

HTH
    Regards

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tom, thanks for getting back to me. With some more messing around last night, I was able to get both axes working, albeit with some noise issues that I'm hoping to resolve today. I should say off the bat that this is a bench test using steppers and a power supply that I won't be using in my final configuration. As such, the PS is woefully mismatched to the motors (chinese setup).

To answer you questions, I am using a Winford BRK2X13 BOB, so the pinouts match JP7. I am using outputs 15,16 for Axis 0 step and dir. Outputs 17,18 are used for axis 1.

I think maybe I was misusing terminology regarding flashing. I meant to say "downloading" the axis configuration to the Kflop. This is different than flashing yes?

My drives are TTL compatible. This is from the users manual:

The CN0165 uses high speed opto-isolators for the Step Pulse and the Direction inputs to
    provide maximum noise immunity. The Step Pulse and Direction inputs are compatible
    with TTL drivers and require no additional components.

Here is a link to the CNO165 users manual. It's a very similar drive to a Gecko, having been designed by the same person:

http://centent.com/Manuals/cn0165.pdf