KFLOP Capabilities

Thread: KFLOP Capabilities

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default KFLOP Capabilities

I'm in the process of building a cnc router. I had purchased a G540 to drive my 4 steppers (X1, X2, Y, Z). I want to add a rotary axis later, but the 4 drives on the G540 are spoken for. Was starting to look into usb controllers and now have found the KFLOP.

I'm thinking about controlling the G540 with a KFLOP and adding one individual stepper driver for the future rotary axis. What else can I do with the KFLOP?

Can I interface it with my own electroncs/software for manual control (ie no PC)?

Can I have encoder feedback on my steppers to detect missed steps?

What else can I do with the i/o and software capabilities?

Can I download and check out the software before purchasing the hardware?

I'm an engineer by degree (ME & EE) and would love to better understand the capabilities of the KFLOP. I've got 20 yrs experience writing C code and designing embedded systems. It would be really cool if I could do some custom stuff without having to design and debug my own complete module from scratch.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
    Can I interface it with my own electroncs/software for manual control (ie no PC)?
    Yes you can run stand-alone by either Flashing your own C programs into Flash or send RS232 motion commands from your electronics

Can I have encoder feedback on my steppers to detect missed steps?
    Absolutely or run closed loop.

What else can I do with the i/o and software capabilities?
    a lot :}

Can I download and check out the software before purchasing the hardware?
    Yes, go to our download page. You can run our KMotionCNC program in simulation mode. We also include a C Compiler and Mini IDE you can go to our KMotion | C Program Screen and look at and compile example programs (but they won't run without hardware)

I'm an engineer by degree (ME & EE) and would love to better understand the capabilities of the KFLOP. I've got 20 yrs experience writing C code and designing embedded systems. It would be really cool if I could do some custom stuff without having to design and debug my own complete module from scratch.
    Your background is perfect

Regards
    TK http://dynomotion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rob,

I am a fairly new user to the KFlop and still learning about all the cool things it can do, but I can assure you it will do everything you mentioned and a lot more, particularly wrt encoders and closed-loop operation. I found the documentation a bit convoluted, but once you begin to get a grasp on what the various terms mean it all begins to make sense, and once you realize "set up" is simply about creating an initialization script things get a lot easier.

The machine controller application (KMotionCNC) has some features I like a lot better than Mach3 (though there is a Mach3 plug-in for the KFlop). If you use KMotionCNC and don't purchase Mach3 it reduces the "real cost" of the KFlop from $250 to $75 (Mach3 sells for $175, KMotionCNC is "free", so $250 - $175 = $75). I plan to discuss KMotionCNC in my "How To" thread in this forum as soon as I get some time.

I hope if you decide to get one that you will consider contributing to my "How To" thread when you get things set up :-)

Fish

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
    Looks like you'll be the guy to go to for assistance in making the changes using C++ and VS2008
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.