6'X12' DynaTorch build log - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6'X12' DynaTorch build log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, you had me fooled! The gas console blends right in with the Dynatorch hardware, and looks good to. I am anxious to see the completed oxy setup. I recently saw a large Koikie Plasma / Oxy machine at an auction. I took a couple of pics of the oxy torch setup. It appears it might be mounted to an air cylinder and is desgned to move to any angle for bevel cuts. Will you set your torch holder like this also?

Here's something to make you glad you bought a Dynatorch. Look at the price for just an upgrade on the lower end of the C & G / Burny machine series. And it does'nt even include a torch height control. http://www.cgsystems.com/Services/Up...de%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.cgsystems.com/Services/Up...de%20Sheet.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'X12' DynaTorch build log-koikie-torch-jpg  
    Last edited by magma-joe; 08-13-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    Those C&G machines are expensive, and that is just the "retro upgrade"? I (so far) have been satisfied with the DT, no regrets. I keep wondering if I should have went with an 8' set-up. The space is tight as it is so I will have to be content. I know i have said it before but it seems like The DT is a lot for the money. I could not build one for even half that (and I am cheap).

The gas console I will use is actually about a year old. We have used it quite a bit with our mag shape cutter and track cutter. The DT interface console has the right outputs to control it on the back. the gas console has three ASCO redhat valves, two are switched at the same time (preheat oxy and fuel) and the last is turned on after preheat is done (cut oxy). For beveling we will use a Victor BHA-2 adapter on one torch.

All of the parts including the two new torches and one new BHA-2 and 100' of grade R twin hose was less than 1K. I played vulture on ebay. It took awhile to assemble but found some unreal deals.

pics are from my phone cam, bad quality.

WSS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt701-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt702-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt703-jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, The 8' table would be nice until you have to move it, LOL. Since I built my 5 x 10 table I have realized that a 12 ' length would have been much better. Once I got the machine up and running, I discovered a whole array of things I could do with it and several of those things require a 12' length.

That angle adjustable torch tip is pretty cool. I did'nt realize they made them. I am curious, if a person were to buy all new parts to equip their machine with an oxy set up what is a (ball park) price? Are your gas pressure regulators located in the console? Do you need 2 or 3 solenoids? Thanks for the info and pics. By the way, your camera phone takes pretty good pics.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    I believe it would cost 2k to 2.5k. If you bought it all from your local welding supply. You need two oxy regs and one fuel reg too. I have quick connects and flashback protection on all the parts as well. All of that pushes the cost up to the sky! Where the regs are concerned, There is a seller on ebay who has both the fuel and oxy regs for $69 each. If you are running two torches, you need a little higher flow from the cut reg. like a SA-700 series from Victor. The solenoids are about $85 each and you do need three. Two have to be for "oxygen service" I bought the two oxy solenoids from caltrol, they had them in stock in Vegas, I had them next day. The best torch (IMHO) is the MT-310-A three hose from victor. The two torches I will use are MT-618-NV & MT-610-NV. The difference is that the NV's will only do LP gas. If I had to do acetylene with them I would have to change the mixer to a acetylene mixer (or borrow one from my spare 310-A). Strangley, the torches with the "A" at the end (acetylene) will do both acetylene and propane (some other gases as well). The "10" in the 310 is the barrel length, it is about the same as the HP plasma torches.

I hope that helps. I will post some pics of the inside of the gas console later tonight.

millman52 does a lot of oxy cutting. Check out his posts. He has some good pics and info. His set-up is pretty nice.

Well back to work on the table!

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I should add why I am using the MT600 series torches. They are both new and cost me $60 each on ebay, retail on them is 500 and 600 bucks! The bevel heads, I got three of them on ebay for $200 and sold two of them back on ebay for what I paid for three. They were in the wrong category. All three were new. I do a certain keyword searches and save them, ebay emails me when anything new shows up.

Here is the link to the Victor regs on ebay. For anyone interested. You have to buy it when you see it or contact the seller and ask to have listed what you are looking for. These are the big regs and can handle a one torch easily (maybe two).

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTOR-Acetylene...ht_2129wt_1167

I am running hose and cable through the cable carriers. Not much room left after the torch hose.

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, thanks for the info. I did'nt realize the cost to expand to oxy was that high. I can see why you shop Ebay to piece your system together. The Dynascribe attachment I'm installing on my gantry upgrade will use the 2 available terminal outputs on the back of the Dynatorch control box.

If I were to go the oxy route also, I think I would have to add the port expander to have enough outputs to control all the soleniods. For me it would add a little more to the cost. Something to think about. How soon before you make your first cuts?

http://www.dynatorch.com/PortExpander.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    The port expander will be important when you need it for the drill head control (lol)! I am hoping to start cutting in about 2 weeks. I have to return to my usual duties this week. I have a bunch of wiring and harness making to do and get the command center set-up. I will use the P-3 plug in the back of the DT console to use as a E-stop mounted on the monitor door. So I will go slow and do a couple of things in the evening when I can.

Here are some pics of the weekend progress!

Edit: I added two more pics, the "command center" and one of the DT assembled. My wife will be happy to see the command center move to it's home!

WSS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt801-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt802-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt803-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt804-jpg  

6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt805-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt806-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt807-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt808-jpg  

6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt809-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt810-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt811-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt812-jpg  

6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt814-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt813-jpg  
    Last edited by WSS; 08-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, looking good! Is that some type of dual quick release torch holder you fabricated? Your finished table looks great with the Dynatorch decal. Nice cabinet to. Where did you get it? That gas console looks like a tight fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW THAT TABLE IS THE BOMB LIKE TIC TIC! I have the same cabinet, I took out the draw and mounted the interface box (some fabrication required) and placed the keybord and mouse up top. here r some pics of my friends and my setup. I'm loving your table wss.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'X12' DynaTorch build log-north-pole-014-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-j-n-ductwork-jpg  
    Last edited by morvaman; 08-19-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same cabinet too and it is great! There is a place for everything and it really helps keep things clean and orderly. Found it at http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...712&c=239115BK
    If you get one of these you will love it.

Downloads
    Uploads

plain ol bill, thats the one! I remember discussing this with you awhile back, did you get your rebate? I took the family out to dinner with mine, it came pretty fast.

It is pretty durable and a fair price. I will probably get a fan for it and filter it somehow.

morvaman, thanks! I hope it doesn't timeout to soon! I am not a good sapper. I fashioned a bracket inside above the sliding shelf to mount the DT console and ran a switch from the P3 plug to a E-stop button I mounted in the monitor window frame.

magma-joe, yes the console is tight. Another inch all the way around would have helped, as you can see i had to unhook a bunch of stuff just to swap out the power connections. The torch holder uses "switchable" magnets to hold the torches. I can pull the gantry in both X and Y with the tip of the torch, so they may hold more than I want. At speed it may break a torch. I could paint it or do something to lessen the grip but I will try it first. I did find that the 16" torch may be to long (darn it!), I can feel some vibration in it, again i will have to try it to see, If it gives me any trouble I will put a MT310A in its spot.

I have found myself rushing to get it up and running, as I have a job cutting some holes in 3/4" plate for it on monday.

WSS

Downloads
    Uploads

WSS yes I got my rebate too. Never had a debit card rebate but whatever spends! I can't say enough about this cabinet. It sure took a lot of the clutter out of my operation. I found a plastic space saving cabinet w/ (I think six) drawers in it that just fit in the bottom of the cabinet right next to the tower CPU. The drawers hold misc. paperwork (manuals, emails about plasma etc.) my consumables, tools, pencils. Really a great organizer (and Lord knows I need organization).

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Unpleasant surprise

Well, Our machine should be running today but we ran into a bit of a snag. On Saturday Leon returned my call to do the initializing of the machine (This guy really does work seven days a week). After a few tests (grounding test and serial adapter configuring). We found the master servo motor was not working! No lights were present. This was the first time this had happened according to Leon (I am forging the way). Leon said to contact DT on Monday And I would have one on Tuesday. This is sort of true. In order for them to send me the motor I had to pay a "warranty deposit". I never asked what the amount was as I was not willing to pay any more (the 20 grand they have from me should be enough to cover it). After a return call from Leon I figured why they need a warranty deposit. It seems guys would hang onto their motor cores for quite awhile, they even limit the amount of warranty motors a guy can have (there have been others? I thought I was the first). And they do not pay for next day anymore, It seems that more than their pictures are out of date on their web site.

It is a good looking machine though! Hopefully it will all work out. I did have two jobs lined out for it. One I will do on our trusty magnetic shape cutter (I will have to "unharness" the plasma torch from the cable carriers and support harness I made). The second job will make the company we were using for shape cutting happy to get another order from us.

The motor was easy to remove, I had to get a set of metric allen wrenches and remove a plug on the side of the housing that couples the gearbox to the servo and loosen a shaft collar inside. Once it was apart I was amazed at the precision parts it was made of. I can see the mechanical part of it wearing well.

I lost a bit of steam on it today, but I am sure it will all come together. I expected some action when I called them today but they run by their policies, not mine and that is understandable. They have obviously grown quite a bit in the recent years and they have to implement policies like any other big company. I do think I will pass on the training as I would be really upset to pay for travel and accommodations to find myself in the same situation as I am in now. I have spent enough of my company's money, I will have to put the brakes on for awhile, whether the machine works or not.

It's Monday and I better get onto some income generating work!
    Cheers
    WSS

Last edited by WSS; 08-24-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, sorry to hear of your issue. Sounds like Dynatorch wants to be sure they have a motor to send back to their supplier so they get compensated for the bad one.

Will the new motor arrive today?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just read the warrenty section on DT web site, they give the reason for the deposit on the replacement motor, i guess it makes sense as it could add up to alot of money for them, but that being said i wonder why they didnt catch onto the malfunctioning motor when they test run the unit before shipping?

EDD

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys!

I will not get a motor today (darn it!). I really wish they would have caught the bad motor during the four hour test. I have stepped back from handling this situation, my wife will take over from here. It appears they have some arrangement that will work. I will post an update when I have a motor. More importantly, it feels like it is picking up again work wise. I actually don't have the time to fix the table! It feels good.

Cheers!
    WSS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo View Post
    I just read the warrenty section on DT web site, they give the reason for the deposit on the replacement motor, i guess it makes sense as it could add up to alot of money for them, but that being said i wonder why they didnt catch onto the malfunctioning motor when they test run the unit before shipping?

EDD
    Edwardo,
    It just dawned on me that you read the warranty section on their website. I looked hard for it over the weekend. Could you pm me the link?

Thanks!
    WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good morning Tommy

Any news on your motor ?
    This is the link for the warrenty, its on the front page at the bottom with the other links, have a good day and all the best..
    EDD

http://dynatorch.com/Warranty.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Good news! A new motor was handed to me by the our UPS driver! And there was an email authorization from DT to do the repairs on my desk when I got in this afternoon. I am waiting for a few policy details from DT before I will proceed with the installation.

Edwardo, Thanks for the link. I had been there over the weekend. I was thinking it was the newer version. The warranty version that shipped with the gantry is very different than the one on the link you posted for me.

I doubt my company will let me purchase soapstone now without scrutiny. I feel like a heel. I missed quite a bit. But I have to say that Greg is working closely with us now. DT could have voided our entire warranty due to my missing the fine print. I had received verbal authorization to do the many alterations we did to meet our needs, But I did not get prior written authorization. Greg has covered us by sending us the written approval. They are not going to count this motor towards the two they would authorize per their current warranty policy. So it looks like it will work out nicely.

EDIT: I should add that I was told Greg paid for next day to us himself!

I did have a chance to put together a HP cut chart for mild steel and expose/develop it onto a aluminum label. I did it when I did the E-stop label, as it's just as easy to do many sheets as it is to do one with the set-up. i had hoped to have the HP chart on black but it wouldn't develop correctly so I ended with red which looks pretty good. I will get some of the letter size magnetic photo paper and stick it to so I can move it around on the command center.

Cheers!
    WSS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt1103-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt1102-jpg   6'X12' DynaTorch build log-dt1101-jpg  
    Last edited by WSS; 08-26-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add some info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, glad to hear things are looking up. Will you be installing the motor tomorrow? How did you make those charts? I want one!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast