The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

This is day 1 on the purchase of my new DM 3000 lathe. After cleaning her up and analyzing her needs I will begin replacing the electronics. If you would like any pictures of any part you cant see or would like to see, let me know and I will try to accomodate you. These lathes seem to have a small following and I am trying to help any and all of those behind me.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Fastest1; 02-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are the steppers 160 oz/in Portsecap motors? If they are then they are the same ones that are on the DM4400 mills.

Timothy

Downloads
    Uploads

Timothy, the Z a P852 (Portescap) is the 160oz or 150oz depending on which spec sheet you see online. The X a PH266 (Vexta) is 205oz.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  
    Last edited by Fastest1; 02-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can post pictures finally. You all are in trouble now.

Downloads
    Uploads

WTF is a security token? Apparently I am missing one! It wont let me post pictures again.

Downloads
    Uploads

And what pretty pictures they are....
    Better than mine. Maybe I should buy a new camera.

Anyway, when you take everything apart you'll find that the Portescap stepper motor wiring color codes don't match anything you see today. So I contacted Portescap directly and they sent me a wiring diagram.

So here it is for all the Dyna Mechtronic owners to download.

Timothy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-portescap-stepper-motor-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

It is a Canon SD1200. It also takes wonderful videos. I have mounted it in my car and it does great the wind buffets the microphone but the video is great. I have the username on youtube 2FASTABMW4U, check them out. Ok the driving isnt great though I am having a great time but it is all done with a Canon SD1200. Are you changing the controller hence the need for the wiring of the stepper? If yes whose controller are you planning to use? Have you seen the conversion of the DM3000 done by Rogers Machine? www.romaxxcnc.com/dyna3000.html
    It is a great build.

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine might be finished by the time I figure out how to post pictures on cnc zone.
    I went in and editted this post and it allowed me to post this pic. I have made no changes to fix the securtiy token issue. It really doesnt make sense now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  
    Last edited by Fastest1; 02-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It only allowed those 2 pictures above and then back to some kind of error. It is not browser related as I have tried, IE, Safari and Mozilla and none worked. Almost ALL internet solutions claim it is a problem with VBulletin

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry might be a God! If this works. Resizing is the issue, I guess I changed a setting in the camera. Ok back to the progression of the build.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

He is! THANKS GERRY. You know I am embarrassed about my ignorance. I am actually not embarassed that I was ignorant, just that now you all know I am!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok more pictures finally! This is the day I brought it home. Stay tuned. BTW Gerry you are the man! In case I havent said it enough. As you can see it is a pretty decent machine in need of a little cleaning. All of the electrical connectors had been unplugged from their respective locations on the boards. Not a problem since I knew a complete rewire was coming. I ordered a G540. I would like a Smoothstepper too but they seem to be backordered at the moment. More to come.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

A few more pics from the 1st day. I hope I am not boring you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so now it is time to get to the cleaning! A little soap and hot water, a very light rub on the ways and carriage with wd40 and some very fine scotchbrite pad. Rinse and repeat. Followed that immediately with air pressure misting everything with wd40 and wiping it all down. Then wiping all bare metal parts with way oil. She looks great! What a difference from a Sherline, SOLID.

The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

So this is a heavy machine by my garage hobby standards so a stand is in order. I dont really know how to weld but it was time to learn. I have a friend who is a welder. I paid him to teach ME how to build a stand correctly. I had the ideas, he had the place, equipment and technique. It is a joy to work with organized people who waste no energy. We finshed this in a long afternoon and evening. Might sound like a long time to a welder. I was sure it would have taken a couple of days. He is an excellent teacher! Maybe all of my results werent excellent but that is a student issue. No weld on that table is going to fail in my lifetime! All welds that were ground down were purely for aesthetics (sp?) Do you like my use of the trailer jack? $17.99 from Northern Tool. It was cheaper than the wheels and I couldnt get wheels with locks. Actually I think my idea will be more stable when set down on the legs and yes the table is level when down!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-unpainted-machine-stand001-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-unpainted-machine-stand-002-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-unpainted-machine-stand-003-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-unpainted-machine-stand-004-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a few more pics of the machine after the clean up. She cleaned up so well. I almost forgot to tell you about the coolant tank and pump. It works great except the braided line is ruptured under the braid. Nobody said it would be perfect.

The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-project-day-1-2-17-10-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Then I painted the stand. 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of paint. I would rather a baked on finish but I just want it to be cleanable. Like the color?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-painted-machine-stand-001-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-painted-machine-stand-002-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-painted-machine-stand-003-jpg   The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-painted-machine-stand-004-jpg  

The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-painted-machine-stand-005-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so then since I am waiting for parts, manuals, knowledge, patience and the rest of the things required to make this a successful retrofit. I decide to look at the rats nest of wiring in the panels. The controller is missing as I knew from the beginning but once again since this is to be refitted, who cares. I notice that everything seems to be there and the boards are well marked as is the wiring, The fuse is missing. A wire or 2 are broken or chafed nothing terrible or inaccessible. So I plug it all back up to the boards. I plug it in, turn on the power, and nothing! Not terribly disappointed. I plug along looking at different things trying to make sense of it. I cant even get the light in the cabinet to come on. I replace the fuse. I find a breaker inside, flip it on, still nothing. I make sure the door is closed. No lights are on at all. Then like a flash of brilliance I do all of the above and THEN RELEASE THE E STOP. It comes to life! There is joy in the house! I have complete spindle control and after placing my reflective tape on the spindle pulley and I can get a 40-45 rpm slow and 1785rpm high with the present belt configuration. Looks like you could acheive quite high spindle speeds with the way the pulleys are arranged. Looks like 3 speeds are available. I also (I was very careful) placed my hand on the spindle to place a load on it, HAH this aint my Sherline! It didnt even change sounds nor slow down. That got my attention as to its dangers too. Of course I have no tooling, chuck or way to control the steppers, the power supply on the far right light doesnt light up but I havent checked its output yet, the steppers dont warm up so this could be their power supply or maybe because the controller is not there, I dont know yet but I will soon. I did find a sensor for spindle speed like for a tach behind the pulley. So it just keeps getting better. I do believe I will try to control this spindle by Mach without replacing the motor since I do have full manual control at the moment. there also seems to be a limit switch on 1 end of each axis so homing could be possible. She is running smoothly in this picture and it is QUIET.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-dyna-myte-3000-1st-run-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you've been busy!
    Good work. The lathe looks like it came off the showroom floor.

Is the spindle 100% manual control?

Timothy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Wow, you've been busy!
    Good work. The lathe looks like it came off the showroom floor.

Is the spindle 100% manual control?

Timothy
    It is now but I am thinking it should be an easy conversion.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast