The Dyna Myte 3000 Project - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

Downloads
    Uploads

I have also acquired a Bardac 1600i single phase DC drive. I now have control of the spindle manually and will be interfacing it with Mach in time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool thread, cant wait to see your progress.

Im hoping to possibly obtain a DM3000 soon. Im working as a part time instructor in the Machining Department of the local community college, and they have an old DM3000 that hasnt been used in several years. I expressed interest in it earlier this semester, and then mentioned it again this past week. The chair of the department is apparently looking into what it would take for the department to get rid of it.

If you dont mind my asking, what did you pay for yours?

And you plan on converting your system so that it will run w/ Mach3? I think I'd like to be able to do similar. Are you having to replace the stepper motors for X & Z to be able to do this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Great lathe and I hope you get it. I have no intention of changing the steppers just yet as I control them quite well with the Gecko G540. I do not like the gear reductions in the screws. They were probably essential in their day but electronics have come along way since then. I will figure out a way to remove them and connect the stepper via a lovejoy to the screw. For sure on the Z the rest might not be so important. And yes it will be run on Mach3, it is right now actually. The steppers do push harder than I can by hand. I seem to have no real effect on their speed. I am not using any bars or levers to try to stop it. I am 6'1" 232lbs, I would have thought I would have some effect. Maybe I am getting weak!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info.

So is the Gecko controller needed to make this unit compatible w/ Mach3, or would it actually be possible to just hook a serial cable up to the machine and then plug it into a computer? Its a complete unit, it has the control panel that yours is missing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes on the Gecko. The way yours is now should allow a 900 line limit without connecting to any computer (that is the way I understand it, but I have been wrong before). If you need a longer code, you would drip feed the present system with an ISA card of some form and some proprietary software. I believe it is DOS based or much earlier Windows OS than I am familiar with. I have read where people with a good understanding of electronics can interface with some of the existing drivers and such but it might be futile when such convenient products like Geckos stuff is around. I do have a Dyna DM 2400 mill with the onboard controller that is intact. I will run it with limited codes for a while. At least to make some stepper mounts and such for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I'd much rather be able to hook it up to a computer and run G & M coding through a control such as Mach3 so if I do get the lathe, I'll start looking at converting it over to that. Im all set up on my regular computer for CAD & CAM, so being able to go out and upload something posted from CAM would be really nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello
    I'm new here, I have few questions about this lathe.It's any posibilities to connect with a PC, or just programing in lathe controller?
    Where I can find some documentation about it(technical or instructions manual) ?
    Fastest1 -You don't finnished you lathe, please show as what to do in this time

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnc77hobby View Post
    Hello
    I'm new here, I have few questions about this lathe.It's any posibilities to connect with a PC, or just programing in lathe controller?
    Where I can find some documentation about it(technical or instructions manual) ?
    Fastest1 -You don't finnished you lathe, please show as what to do in this time
    Actually I took the G540 out and replaced it with 3 Keling digital drivers, a C35 and C6 boards. I did this for its adjustable microstepping. The G540 is only 10x. This should increase my rapid and working speeds if necessary.

Last edited by Fastest1; 05-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

On my 3000H I replaced t he existing drivers with G201 that i had laying around and then installed G901 rate multipliers in them to get tyhesteps per unit down and the speed up.

Right now I replaced the spindle control board with a KB electronics speed control board. But after looking at everything I think I will use a Gecko G320X servo amp because my doc call the motor a dc servo motor. That way I can use the motor and the onboard encoder and can use the spindle for threading, rigid tapping etc.

Dan Mauch
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch

On my 3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Actually I took the G540 out and replaced it with 3 Keling digital drivers, a C35 and C6 boards. I did this for its adjustable microstepping. The G540 is only 10x. This should increase my rapid and working speeds if necessary.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dan, did that G320X work out for you? I dont think that it will work on the 3000 (as opposed to the 3000H), because the G320X seems to be limited to 80VDC, whereas the motor takes up to 140vDC on the 3000.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1,

My DM3000 gets here Monday . What was the fastest rapid you could bet with the G540?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Right now I am getting about 40ipm in Z, 70ipm in X (I can tune the X for more speed but it is quite fast the way it is). I believe Z could be faster but I get a stall. I am not running the G540 on that machine anymore. I am running a C35 and 3 5056D's. I have tried every available microstepping value to solve the resonance or stalling issue on the Z with no luck (yet). As soon as i get my mill back up and running I am probably going to build an adpater plate (ala Alex Cole?) and skip the reduction gears.

Downloads
    Uploads

I apparently missed this question a year or more ago. However I do run the Bardac drive on 120V not 220. IIRC The max output of the drive with a 120 input is 90vdc. I dont notice any reduction in speed though I would think there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedina View Post
    Dan, did that G320X work out for you? I dont think that it will work on the 3000 (as opposed to the 3000H), because the G320X seems to be limited to 80VDC, whereas the motor takes up to 140vDC on the 3000.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1,

It's here! Still un-crating. Will post pics when done. Do you mind posting the pneumatic door actuator part number?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

It was built in, I didn't add it. I will look and see if there is a model number. You saw that guillotine like door closing action? You should have seen it before I put the flow control valve on. It would have been dangerous.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest,

What is you put in the Steps Per for motor tuning on the X & Z? Do you know what diameter and pitch they are?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

IIRC, with my Gecko G540 (10x microstepping) I was in the 101,000 steps per unit. I just use the calibration tool within Mach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

Ok, After MRM's beautiful build. I once again gutted my lathe. I intend to install a G540, an Ethernet Smooth Stepper, C6/Bardac 1600i and a 2nd undecided BOB.
    After having the lathe up and running a time or 2, I would also like faster speeds in the Z for threading and such. My plan is to upgrade the stepper and gear it with an XL belt and pulley system. I also plan to do similar with the X. After looking at the plastic gears within the cover. My idea is to remove the plastic gear and modify an existing XL pulley to bolt on its place. Here are a few shots of the assembly before the change.The Dyna Myte 3000 Project-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382997480-316428-jpgThe Dyna Myte 3000 Project-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382997494-899013-jpgThe Dyna Myte 3000 Project-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382997514-665814-jpg
    This method should allow easy preload on the thrust bearing using all of the original adjustment parts. I would not be modifying the original parts, just reusing them in a little different way.

Last edited by Fastest1; 10-29-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Dyna Myte 3000 Project

On the advice of MRM and since I was already in there, I replaced the stepper on the turret. Though I did replace it with the same model number stepper. The new one is square as opposed to the old round 1. I did notice the original stepper (PH266-E1.2) is 1.2A @ 5ohm)
    where the new one is 2A @ 1.8ohm. MRM says it works better. I believe him but I am curious, do these specs provide any reason as to why?

Last edited by Fastest1; 10-28-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You will notice at this point the stepper is not wired up. I found out the original connector was made by JST (JST — World Class Quality Interconnection Products) and is part of their NH series (locking connectors). I really wanted to use the original type connections and not solder to the pigtails of a cut harness. After a little research I found that the inserts are available, their part # is SHF-001T-0.8 BS. After speaking to a supplier and mentioning the quantity I needed. She recommended that I go to their website and order some FREE samples of that part. I requested 24. I did get a confirmation of the request. I will follow up when they are received.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast