Dyna Myte 2800 rebuild - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyna Myte 2800 rebuild

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dyna Myte 2800 rebuild

Nice work, Pete! Congratulations on your machine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRondeau View Post
    Ok, I've had a DM2800 for 6 years. During almost that entire time it has been disassembled for the purpose of rebuilding it. I've decided to give myself a push to get this project back on the fast track.
    To that end I'm going to upload the process to YouTube- Hopefully that will keep me focused and on track. If you'd like to follow along the first video can be found here:

This is an overview that fast forwards the small amount of progress over the last 6 years into just a few minutes.
    Thanks!
    Pete
    Very impressive, well done.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Started looking at my To-Do list and realized I was rapidly nearing the end. Tying up all the loose ends this week

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick note.... I don't have the manuals on this machine, so it is possible that the information I'm providing in this thread is covered there. Anyhow, I was looking at how one replaces the bearings on a DM4400. I don't think I need to do that, but I am a little concerned by the fact that my machine was built in the 90s and I really wonder whether or not the existing bearings need to be lubricated/greased again. Unfortunately, the manuals doesn't really give any hints on that type of periodic maintenance.

Anyhow, in my quest for information, there is a good thread in CNCZONE about rebuilding a DM4400 spindle. That is awesome, but it doesn't help you with a DM2800 much... or does it.... I did some more research and while doing that I came across some information on the 2800. Unlike the 4400, you don't have a spindle cartridge, but that isn't horribly important. Just like the 4400, however, you have to 'pop' the step collar (#8 on the parts drawing... the only one I have of the machine) off the top of the spindle using hydraulic pressure. And that is purpose of the angled, threaded hole on the top of the step collar. Now, I can't tell you a whole lot more than that, but the hydraulic process is detailed elsewhere on cnczone.

Hopefully this posting will 'archive' the concept so that someone else interested in these machines may find the hint.

Downloads
    Uploads

Funny enough I mention this in my latest video, after doing it completely wrong. LOL If only I had known that about a week sooner!

Downloads
    Uploads

Installing the 1kWatt DMM-Tech servo motor on the spindle and discussing how we got from the 750Watt motor to the 1000Watt motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry about that, Pete! But, unfortunately, I didn't have the relevant drawing at that point in time anyhow. I was sitting here a couple days after I got it and realized, however, that others were likely to come across your great thread, so having some extra information there about the spindle could help someone out. I've very much about dissemination of information, so I posted away.

I am a little behind on your videos, so I wasn't aware that you had done the spindle. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at it because I'm curious about your experience.... I am mulling over my DM4400 spindle, but I don't know if I want to take a plunge on it. Frankly, I think it might violate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.... It seems to be fine now, but I have a lingering concern about it being lubricated almost 30 years ago. Now, when they say "life time lubrication", I suspect that they generally refer to lifetime as being something like 15 to 20 years. But, I may damage the bearings in my attempt to help them, so messing with the spindle is probably not a great thing. A bearing set is about $800, I believe, so it isn't cheap! The DM4400 has a spindle cartridge, so theoretically if I could find a DM4400 being stripped, I could just get the cartridge. But, I don't know of anyone that is scrapping a machine right now. If I did, I'd grab the spindle and try my hand at rebuilding it, assuming the spindle bearings were iffy.

Anyhow, good luck with your project... It seems to progressing well.
    Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

It has been 1 year to the day since this project began on YouTube, and today, I bring this chapter to a close as the Dyna Myte 2800 Makes its first chips. I talk about the final push to get here, show it in use, and share some before and after pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that the DM2800 is back up and running, I'm moving on to what I am calling Phase 2 of the restoration- getting some of the support hardware reinstalled and functional. This time around I tackle hooking up the original DynaMyte tool height probe, start working on a chip guard, and attempt to get the one shot lubrication system back up and running. A past mistake comes back to haunt me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Latest update on the Centroid Acorn retrofit of my DynaMyte 2800 including some Virtual Control Panel customization and recompiling the Acorn PLC code to get around a spindle fault I was getting from the DMM Tech 1kW Servo Motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I think I can finally call this project complete.. I'm sure there will be additional updates in the future. Adding flood and/or mist coolant, hopefully tackling a tool changer, etc. But at least for the moment, I feel like the conversion is complete. Thanks to everyone who has followed along!

Downloads
    Uploads

A quick look at the final cost breakdown of the DM2800 CNC control retrofit:

Thanks to everyone who has followed along!

Downloads
    Uploads

I finished mine a few years ago but only this evening fired it up for the first time in 4 years. I really need to use it now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I finished mine a few years ago but only this evening fired it up for the first time in 4 years. I really need to use it now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is any one to help us connecting dynamyte 2800 to pc?
    we hava a dynamyte with its rs232 cable which has written rs232 for IBM/At pc
    please help us for this connection

Lightbulb Re: Dyna Myte 2800 rebuild

Good afternoon my friends, My name is fabio seabra alive in portugal, owner of a motorcycle shop and workshop, Mxcross.pt Portugal,

I recently bought this machine DYNA MYTE 2800 for my workshop, would you like someone to help me get it working on cnc connected to pc, or if the easiest thing would be to convert to mach3 program?

I would very much like you to help me please my friends,

In Portugal there is very little knowledge

Activation process joefishellis's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great series of vids Pete,thanks for sharing your work and experiences.

I also own a Dyna Mye 2800 and am just finishing a very similar build to yours, today I noticed I am consistently getting 0.99mm movement for each 1mm jog step, so 5 steps in same direction will give me 4.95mm movement. I am using Gecko 201x wired in parallel to the Escap disc magnet motor p852-508-b-08 and Acorn configured to 5k steps per rotation and 2.5mm of movement, I havn't done anything to try to fix it yet but at a guess it may be to do with the fact there are steps being missed during acceleration, according to Escap the p852 does not suppport microstepping, just half step? and the Gecko 201x has 10x enabled by default, has anyone else got any ideas of what could be causing the issue?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12