Moving a DM4400 mill

Thread: Moving a DM4400 mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Moving a DM4400 mill

Hi,
    Looking through the manual, I noticed that when these machines were shipped originally, the heads were blocked and a hook was installed on the top of the column to suspend the weight and de-tension the chain. Apparently the weight was then blocked too, which makes sense. That all makes sense... However, I'm sure the hook has long since been lost on any machine being purchased by 99% of the members of this forum. So.....
    1. Does anyone have a picture of the hook
    2. Does anyone have a picture of the top of the column
    3. Does anyone have information on the width required for the weight shims
    4. Does anyone have any suggestions on the Head block (head to table) height?

I'm assuming that the preparation process would go something like this....
    1. lower Z head (raises weight).
    2. "hook" the top of the weight with the hook... Maybe a rope would work too for shorter distances
    3. insert the threaded end of the hook through a hole in the plate above the column cavity (guessing here) (or tie off the rope)
    4. Install bolt and thread until finger tight. The weight would now be captive.
    5. raise head slightly, which will result in the chain being relieved of tension as the weight would be transferred to the hook.
    6. block head with wood
    7. install shims around counterweight.

Does this sound correct? Any photos of that area would be a huge asset (or other considerations regarding prepping or moving the machine)

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Moving a DM4400 mill

I have most of that info.
    Gimme a day to find it and take some pics...

Timothy

Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS Mini Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Moving a DM4400 mill

Hi Timothy,
    I've managed to get a picture of the weight, etc, so I'm in good shape there. I am curious about the hook if you have one, although it has become far less of an issue now that I understand how the weight fits into the cavity, etc. And the measurement for the blocking is also less of an issue because, frankly, it probably depends upon the manner in which one supports the weight.

So, all in all, I think most of the questions have been answered, so I'm in good shape. Thank you though for your offer to help. One thing I don't have is the suggested moving method for a rigger. My other manuals typically show the best way to lift a machine and to secure it for transport. The Dyna manual shows none of that. My machine has a full enclosure on it which makes access to the eyes on top of the plinth not useful (that I can tell) for tie-downs.

On a different topic... I know you sold all your retention knobs, but do you know/remember where you can buy Dyna compatible knobs that have a 1/2-13 thread on them? My machine is setup for a CAT30, not the BT30. I found M12 threaded knobs from RKS, but they don't sell a1/2-13 version. If you know of a source, I'd love to hear it. For that matter, I'd love to hear about even an M12 source other than RKS. At this point, I think I'm going to have to make my own. I'm thinking I'd not harden them, though, because that is probably why they typically shot peen (just a guess) afterwards to relieve stress?