Dm2400 Re-wire

Thread: Dm2400 Re-wire

Default Dm2400 Re-wire

So I gutted the control box and removed all the old wiring I'm not using and started the refit. I have been looking at pictures of other machines and discovered a number of pictures that have a piggy back power box of some kind under the main control box. I suspect it is either a transformer from 220v to 110v or power for the oiler. Fastest1 has a pic of his as received that shows it. Can someone please let me know what it is, because I don't have one on my machine and hope I haven't missed something important.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dm2400 Re-wire

I have always wondered if that was needed. I intend to test it if I ever get around to plugging it in. It is heavy and a PIA.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a transformer feeding the main cabinet. On the inside panel from my mill there is a wiring diagram for wiring 220V/110V. I'm not sure the supply voltage out of the transformer, but it definitely seems like overkill given its size.

Isolation transformer?
    Fast,
    I was looking at the pics again. On a video by smoothstepper he spoke of an early model DM2400 with the isolation transformer on the inside of the cabinet that restricted mounting space for new components. He showed his on the outside very similar to a pic you posted on your refit, square box with AC coming in and out hanging below the main cabinet, I believe that is the isolation transformer. You stated that you sold those components to other Zoners. Did you decide it wasn't necessary? Or did you put something new in yours?
    Anything you can remember will be appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

EngraverGar,

It may have been installed as an isolation transformer. It definitely was installed as a step down transformer for dropping from 220V to 110V if needed.

The whole mill is run off the output of the transformer. The power feed comes into the mill, through the power switch, through the E-Stop and finally back to the transformer.

For better or worse I removed mine at least temporarily. I think I may turn it into a isolated outlet to plug the mill into. Either way its current location would keep me from meeting my longterm goal of putting the electronics to the side of the mill rather than on the back of the mill.

You can see it next to the x axis motor cover. It is large and probably weighs 10lbs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

EngraverGar,

I must note that on my mill earth ground is still run into the mill, so it isn't truly an isolated transformer. I don't know if that means it is only a step down transformer, as I think isolation transformers are designed differently as well. Nonetheless, I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't see the PICS.
    My machine is a very early model and I do not have any reason to believe that it was included as part of the machine. No mounting holes and none of the wiring was cut or spliced. I know there are a lot of DIY kits available now and I don't see any transformers with isolation capabilities included. With a proper ground and GFI I suspect that a transformer is obsolete except in the situation you mention as a step down. Thanks for the info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I reattached the photos. They are nothing special, but show the transforer, and how large it is.

Dm2400 Re-wire-img_0106-jpg
    Dm2400 Re-wire-img_0176-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dm2400 Re-wire-img_0106-jpg   Dm2400 Re-wire-img_0176-jpg