DM2400 spindle configuration

Thread: DM2400 spindle configuration

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DM2400 spindle configuration

Hello, forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I just acquired a dm2400, and although the books are very complete I'm unable to determine the spindle taper call out (ex: cat 40, etc...) It came with the er16 collet set, but I'd like get a drill chuck, solid holder, etc. Maybe I'm looking right at it ? Thanks, Dave

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DM2400 spindle configuration

It is an ER16. They are commonly available. Also due to the thread of the collet nut you can use the products A2ZCNC makes.

Trying to find the original Dyna tooling is almost impossible. I do have a few that I am keeping. It is the clover like nut that would be the most difficult to find. It is a very interesting design that would seem to be viable for tool length repeatability. Yet nobody else seems to have adopted it.

Tool Holders Remember you have an ER16 nut thread (22 x 1.5mm), not the 3/4-16 of the Sherline spindle. Purchase accordingly.

Sherline of course would also be a great source. They will offer both also.

Personally I would expect more accuracy and less run out from a tool holder that used the conically tapered bore over the spindle noses external thread.

That would really depend on the accuracy needed. Both companies offer good tooling for these sized machines.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, just so I have this right. If I wanted a 1/4" solid end mill holder, It would have an "er-16 taper" on one side with an integral 22mm nut, and the other side would be 1/4" bore with a setscrew. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

There are many ways to obtain this.

Do you need absolute tool length repeatability?

If that is the case you would need to buy the parts you described above (however the ER taper with an integrated nut will be all but impossible to find). You could purchase the A2Z part A2Z CNC ER16 End Mill Holder 1/4" short or similar as they have these in different lengths. This will most likely be the least expensive way. If you are working with .25 tools, this will most likely be sufficient as the Dyna and A2Z parts are pretty well made. You do have to watch how much travel you might sacrifice using those.

If you are going to set tool zero with every tool change (which will be the most likely if you are starting out) I would suggest a set of er16 collets in whatever units you use mm or in. and a matching nut or 2. It will allow you to run many more size drills, end mill etc and lose the least travel, have the least runout and most tool rigidity. All great assets. It will also be cheaper in the long run.

If you are new to all of this, take your time. Dont feel you have to buy everything at once, even if you can. There is plenty to learn, you will break tools and will inevitably need and want different tools after you gain some experience. You will not be understanding tool offsets, CAD, CAM, electronics all at once in the beginning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe something like this?SHARS CNC 5 Pcs 1 8 3 8" ER16 ER 16 Collets Set 1 8 3 16 1 4 5 16 3 8 New | eBay
    and a matching nut, like this SHARS ER16 Clamping Hex Nut for CNC Milling Collets Chuck Holder Lathe ER 16 New | eBay

Btw I am not advocating any particular vendor. Though I have had good experiences any that I have linked.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see, the holders are only using the threaded (22mm) part of the spindle, not the taper & nut together. Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DM2400 spindle configuration

Quote Originally Posted by jakdad View Post
    I see, the holders are only using the threaded (22mm) part of the spindle, not the taper & nut together. Thanks again
    Exactly, originally Dyna had tool holders that did use the internal taper. They were probably very well made and had little runout.
    It seems like there would be a big market for those but nobody seems to have adopted it. Could be a patent or similar, I dont know.
    Keep your eyes on EBay and here. The tool holders pop up from time to time.
    Here is a picture or 2 in case you hadn't seen the real thing. The way the nut fits the collar of the tool holder helps insert and or extract the holder. Great design IMO.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me, also for the vendor links. I'll probably start out with some holders from A2Z.

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely! You will find many helpful people here. Some of us live vicariously thru those that complete a project.

Just trying to save you from yourself. Some of those shiny tools must be as attractive as jewelry is to a woman for what we pay for them. A typical mistake for a beginner is to buy too much.

Btw, you got a great machine for its work envelope. Its specialty will be using tools .25" and smaller. The smaller the better. Resist the temptation to use large tools. It is a small machine. With the stock gear reduction it uses, dont expect high speed rapids or machining. It still produces great results.

What do you plan to make or machine? Plastics, metals?

Do you have any experience in CAD or CAM?

There is a lot to learn to make the machine move accurately and make parts instead of scrap. Speaking of scrap, one of the best sources of materials is a recycling vendor. Generally they will sell materials for scrap weight prices. Many machine shops sell their cuts, scraps and metal waste to the recyclers. I always find other things there too. Stainless work surfaces, compressors, free standing sinks in SS. etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Plan to use the mill for machining 1018, bronze, and aluminum occasionally. Been doing work for a customer that's normally small runs.
    Hoped to start on a project that will be making a part that was formerly a casting.
    Already interested in alternate programming for the mill.
    Have some Hurco conversational and featurecam experience.
    How does the drip feed work on this machine ?
    Is the rs232 input "plug and play" ?
    best regards - Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you know more than me, so I might not be of help in regards to communication.

I have 2 Dynas but both have been converted. My understanding is that drip feed is possible if you have all of the right components (I didnt and couldnt find them either, nor would I have known what to do with them). There are some guys working with the DM3000 in another thread here who seem to be making great strides of being able to work with the lathe on stock electronics. I am sure they would help and they appear to understand all of the needs of the machines/computers what ever. Here is a link to the thread.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna-m...-software.html
    Also I have the Dynacom.exe and have saved it for years as well as manuals etc for any and every Dyna I could find. Mostly limited to the 2400, 3000, 3000H.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1 , You seem to have lots of experience with these mills. What do you think of this conversion kit offered by Soigeneris. Dyna 2200, 2400, 2800 Conversion Kit - Soigeneris.com
    Requires installation / soldering, supposedly all you need to get started (you keep your original steppers, etc.) Thanks, Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff Birt is extremely knowledgable in regards to the electronics of Dyna's and of controllers in general. He has been a major contributor for walking many of us thru the setup needed. I did not use his kit (not even sure it was offered then) but I have run most of my machines on similar stuff at 1 time or another.

A G540 is just solid equipment. There are better items but not at the hobbyist level or price point. I am in no way knocking the G540 by implying there is better equipment. The G540 will do anything and everything you need for up to 4 axis and will do it well.
    My opinion is that since the electronics will most likely stay the same should you buy his kit (no need for a future upgrade). I would go that route.

IMO the weakest aspect of the Dyna is the 10:1 gearing on the steppers. This creates the need for an extremely high pulse rate as the G540 is a 10x microstep drive. IIRC my 2400 requires 101,000 steps per unit (inch in my case). Again Jeff dealt with that via the ESS. It is capable of high pulse generation and gets you away from the need for a PP/LPT which are a PIA. The Dyna as it is equipped is a fantastic and solid little machine. I would have enjoyed using it just as it was if I would have known how. No need for new steppers unless maybe you were going to redesign a belt or direct drive.

I am just a hobbyist and started trying to understand this stuff 5-7 years ago. Originally I wanted my machines to do specific things (still do). I believe I might be addicted to the pursuit and sharing of info just as much. Kind of weird.

Old I know!! What is a PP/LPT?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EngraverGar View Post
    Old I know!! What is a PP/LPT?
    Parallel Port or Line Print Terminal.