What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!

Thread: What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!

We have a set of vintage things that look like drill bits but the ends are star shaped. The smallest is 1/8" and the largest is 1-3/4". There is no brand name and the sizes are etched by hand. I've looked at spiral reamers, transmission reamers, and searched the Web for as many key words as I can think of and I can't figure out what these are. As a bonus, an approximate value would be great, too. We'd like to sell them but can't accurately describe or evaluate them. Thank you for any information you might be able to giveme!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!-img_3440a-jpg   What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!-img_3444a-jpg   What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!-img_3447a-jpg   What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!-img_3448a-jpg  

What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!-img_3450a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!

End Mills.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What are these called, what are they used for and what are they worth? Thanks!!!

Hello.

I might be wrong but they appear to be cutters or reamers. Depending on the material they can be used on metal or wood.

They are generally used for precision drilling where the drilled diameter is of extreme importance as those of registration pins.

They can also be used to carve grooves and boxes in blocks of material.

If you want to sell them since they have higher chances of having being made of HSS I suggest you look for some furniture maker or carpentry shop. They may still use them. So do some metal workshops. It would be worth to try them too.

I woudn´t know how to put them a price. Perhaps you´ll have to spend some time googling to get an idea.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with BBMNet...

They are general tooling for older machining operations ie jig borers, manual mills etc.
    ...where they would "true" a drilled hole before a reaming operation. Not typically used on a lathe, as these are "rotating" tools
    They are for plunging only, not safely held by the taper for any sideway machining (the better tooling had screws in the back to keep them in their tapers ).
    They are superseded by the now wider use of CNC and carbide tooling. You may find their value quite low, any interest in them would be from a hobbyist or wood shop.