CNC Router best way to drill 300 holes on 6082-T6 95HB

Thread: CNC Router best way to drill 300 holes on 6082-T6 95HB

Downloads
    Uploads

Question CNC Router best way to drill 300 holes on 6082-T6 95HB

I have a all steel 6090 cnc router, i need do about 300 holes on a 6082-t6 20mm thick sheet.
    I already order some carbide drills but calculator is giving high feeds which is not good for my machine, so i'm asking for advices how to do this job.

Holes size: 7.5mm
    DOC: 20mm

Using HSMAdvisor i got these: https://i.imgur.com/QBinlal.png

The feed is high for my machine under a plunge and it want more but is limited by my machine max feed so i have to reduce that feed. Also my chinese spindle is only 0.8Nm given the specs which i'm always used to never use max values because we never know if the specs are true.

Using half feedrate i got this: https://i.imgur.com/I7CMM5Z.png
    It is safe to use that at same RPMs?
    If possible i would like even slower...
    NOTE: Ignore peck on calculator, i plan to do full hole height (20mm) with carbide ()

Also i like to know which strategy is best:

1) Start with lower drill, like 4mm and redo with 7.5mm. (Is this way easier to machine?)
    2) Use only the 7.5mm drill (same size as hole)
    3) mill instead of drill?
    4) drill with endmill pecks?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Router best way to drill 300 holes on 6082-T6 95HB

I've never tried drilling aluminium on a router but I have seen lots drilled on dedicated machining centres with high coolant flows.You probably don't have coolant on a router and you might not like the way it flies around.I don't know whether the online advice you referenced might have had a different recommendation for dry machining.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think your machine is rigid enough for drilling. I'd do them with helical milling, spiraling down.

If you really want to drill, then I'd drill a smaller 3mm hole first. You might even need to do it in 3 steps, depending on your spindle power.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't think your machine is rigid enough for drilling. I'd do them with helical milling, spiraling down.

If you really want to drill, then I'd drill a smaller 3mm hole first. You might even need to do it in 3 steps, depending on your spindle power.
    I have compressed air + distilled water mist as coolant but i plan to do it dry if possible.
    That's why i need to go slower. Will slower speeds be harmful for the drill?
    On past job i drilled 8 holes with 5mm HSS drill with pecks of 3mm at 8736rpms and 1322 mm/m, the Z axis start deflecting at about half of DOC. I was using crap HSS drill (not sharp)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sn4k3 View Post
    I have compressed air + distilled water mist as coolant but i plan to do it dry if possible.
    That's why i need to go slower. Will slower speeds be harmful for the drill?
    On past job i drilled 8 holes with 5mm HSS drill with pecks of 3mm at 8736rpms and 1322 mm/m, the Z axis start deflecting at about half of DOC. I was using crap HSS drill (not sharp)
    if the 7.5mm dia needs to be accurate then you have to spot drill then drill in one go. Straight or peck. If you pilot the hole it will not drill 7.5mm dia. Helical drilling with an end mill allows you to adjust dia and cut with a small bit which suits high rpm spindle. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    if the 7.5mm dia needs to be accurate then you have to spot drill then drill in one go. Straight or peck. If you pilot the hole it will not drill 7.5mm dia. Helical drilling with an end mill allows you to adjust dia and cut with a small bit which suits high rpm spindle. Peter
    Thank you for suggestions.
    If i go endmill helical a 4mm endmill is ok or need lower?