Retrofitted Bed Mill - KY, USA

Thread: Retrofitted Bed Mill - KY, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retrofitted Bed Mill - KY, USA

Hello,

I’ve recently joined and looked around this forum. I’ve been fixing and cleaning up an older machine called a Falcon Chevalier FM-2040 MB. I do work as an electrical panel assembler so I have some experience with wiring electrical components and systems up.I do not have a lot of experience with cnc milling machines though. I would be interested in selling it once I'm completely done fixing it. What would a machine like this be worth? What could I do to increase its value further?

Here are some details for the machine:

The mill is a bed style mill and looks similar to a Bridgeport mill. The bed moves in the X and Y axis. The Z axis uses a vertical ball screw with a counterbalance to help support it.

All three axes have ball screws driven by a belt and pulley.

The Spindle motor is a baldor rated at 5HP. The Base Speed at 60Hz is 1750 rpm and I currently have it overspeed to 3000 rpm at 115 Hz. I was unsure how much more speed I could get safely.

It had sat outside for a decent amount of time so I had to strip it down and clean it. I then replaced the old control system along with the motor and drives as well I rewired the control enclosure. It was previously wired for 3-Phase power but I switched it to be a single phase 220v system. I purchased steppers and a new VFD from automation technology as the older VFD would have only provided 2-3HP with single phase downrating it. I put in some gecko drives for the steppers. The control software is mach 4 as I am slightly familiar with it as I have helped configure a cnc router using it.

These are the best metrics I have been able to reach with it.

X Stats:
    Speed: 110 IPM
    Acceleration: 15.0
    Axis Travel: 40.5”
    Backlash(without compensation): 4.5 Thousandth of an inch

y Stats:
    Speed: 100 IPM
    Acceleration: 11.0
    Axis Travel: 20.3”
    Backlash(without compensation): 2 Thousandth of an inch

Z Stats:
    Speed: 70 IPM
    Acceleration: 7.0
    Axis Travel: 23.9”
    Backlash(without compensation): 0.5 - 1 Thousandth of an inch

Community Moderator RaderSidetrack's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default re: Retrofitted Falcon Chevalier FM-2040 MB Bed Mill - KY, USA

FYI, I moved this thread out of the For Sale sub-forum as the machine is not currently for sale, and added the machine name to the thread title in the process.

If there is a better sub-forum for this thread, I am happy to move it there. Send me a PM with suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofitted Falcon Chevalier FM-2040 MB Bed Mill - KY, USA

Could you just move it into the general milling machine sub forum? Thank you.