Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings

Thread: Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings

I purchased a tool height contact unit for my router and it requires either an alligator clip on the tool or ground through the bearings of the spindle. Since I want this to be an automatic operation at the beginning of each program I prefer the later. Anyone know of any problems running the 5v signal through the spindle bearings? is this the industry standard? thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings

Quote Originally Posted by lgr View Post
    I purchased a tool height contact unit for my router and it requires either an alligator clip on the tool or ground through the bearings of the spindle. Since I want this to be an automatic operation at the beginning of each program I prefer the later. Anyone know of any problems running the 5v signal through the spindle bearings? is this the industry standard? thanks
    It most likely won't be very reliable, it is best to add a Brush, to run on the spindle up at the top is the best place, this is also a good idea to get a longer life from your Bearings, something like this can be quite small

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings-baldor-rotor-grounding-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool height check, grounding through spindle bearings

the 5V doesn't flow through the bearings - the bearings (or alligator clip) are always grounded - the tool setter is an open contact which floats at 5V by way of a weak pullup resistor - when the grounded spindle makes contact - the tool setter contact becomes grounded - during which time 5V flows through the pullup resistor - works reliably in my experience -

in some tools the bearings may be mounted in a plastic housing or rubber boot (insulated from ground) - in that case you could improvise some sort of reliable connection from the outer bearing case to ground (same effect as using a grounded alligator clip)

www.signtorch.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to do just this, but its not working.
    It worked GREAT on my old Bosch Colt. Now I want to implement it on my new 600w spindle.

I've got the parts made up, and thinking it would be a straight plug and play, it's not.
    Seems like it is electrically interfering (shorting out) with the other electronics.
    I have no resister in line, and honestly, not sure of the polarity (Going to double check tonight)

But if I can get this working. its a supper set up!

I have some pictures, but can't seem to get them uploaded.
    I'll try uploading them again later(might be a work computer thing)

My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html