USB to RS232 connection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB to RS232 connection

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB to RS232 connection

Hey guys,
    Does anyone know if you can get cables for a USB to RS232 connection for PC to CNC connection? I did some research and see that there is a cable like that. I just wanted to know if it is possible before I buy anything. I currently have a DB9 to a DB25 and did the pinout for proper connection. If it is possible is there a different pinout for doing this vs. a standard CNC 9pin to 25 pin connection? Any downside to this? Any recommendations on were to get this would be helpful. Would RadioShack carry something like this?

Thanks
    Stevo

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I study pameter cnc system 6B T/M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

charan28, what are you asking for? Do you need a pinout or parameter settings for the 6B?
    I just need to know if the USB to RS232 can be successful as stated in my post.

Stevo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Stevo,

Many people are using these converters with CNC communication. I have had mixed results and found the quality is variable as well as the driver software for them, but they are cheap and it's easy to try.

The pinout on the USB-RS232 would be exactly the same as the pinout on a standard PC 9 pin serial port. I am assuming you already have a cable that has been proven with a standard PC port connected to the CNC? If not then it is worth establishing proper communications using a PC with built in port before you add in the additional complexity of a USB converter.

Downloads
    Uploads

In my personal experience, I have run into too many frustrations using USB-RS232 adapters. I use Ethernet-RS232 adapters on all my machines.

This is a very easy and very inexpensive item that I use. You can set your pinout how you see fit without having to worry about drivers that you need for USB stuff
    DB25 to Ethernet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the responses guys. I do currently use a DB9 to DB25 with ethernet line that I did the pinout myself on. I have never had a problem with it. I wanted to know because when I got my laptop at work here it did not have the DB9 serial port on it. I had to request one. My IT guy said that a lot of newer computers are not standard with them. I wanted one incase I am in a pinch without my laptop and I have to borrow one that does not have the serial port.

PinMan when you say you are using Ethernet to RS232 are you using a 9pin from your PC and 25pin to the CNC like the RJ45 jacks that take the ethernet between them? Or Is there a way to just go Ethernet plug on PC to RS232 on CNC??

Can you pick up the USB-RS232 connectors anywere or do you recommend a place or brand?

Thanks again guys,
    Stevo

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    PinMan when you say you are using Ethernet to RS232 are you using a 9pin from your PC and 25pin to the CNC like the RJ45 jacks that take the ethernet between them? Or Is there a way to just go Ethernet plug on PC to RS232 on CNC??
    The setup that I have uses a lot of stuff that you might not need due to the fact that im running multiple machines but here is what i have.

PC with Rocketport 16port Universal PCI card
    |
    Ethernet hub
    |
    Ethernet cables going to my various machines
    |
    Ethernet to DB25M Adapter (linked in previous post) for the 25pin serial ports on my machines.

We run 16 machines off one pc and 32 machines off another pc.

But if you dont need the multiports (i.e. only running one machine), you can connect the ethernet cable to your LAN and communicate with the machine that way. Just make sure that you are assigning COM1 or COM2 to your LAN connection.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Help needed

Is there anyone with a detail step by step to set-up parameters in a variety of Fanuc controllers, 10M, 11M, 15M, 16M, & 160M in order to properly send/receive to our PC which is Windows XP through our DNC box. We are using a 16-Port Serial Hub or Multi-port DNC box (Spectrum CNC Technologies). We are connecting a 9DBF/RJ45 on the DNC box to a 25DBM/RJ45 to each machine.

Last edited by Russell@Iscar; 08-13-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Explanation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Russell:

You should probably explain what your DNC box, otherwise I think people will be unable to be very helpful.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please explain

AndyCarter,
    What do you mean by "explain what your DNC box"?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I missed a word out there.

I meant "explain what your DNC box is"

i.e. what is it? ... a switch box?, a serial port server?, a BTR device, a piece of special hardware?...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Hi AndyCarter,
    Thanks very much for your help. Does my request seem a little more understandable now?

Downloads
    Uploads

PinMan,

I looked at the site for the RS 232 Adapter Kit but could not see if it is an electronic interface or just an empty plastic housing where you simply cross connect the wires. I did not know that the 2 interface systems Ethernet and RS232 could be plugged directly to eachother.

If it is an electronic device, do you know if the two sides are galvanicly isolated from eachother so that the CNC board is protected from grounding errors? Please explain a little more about this adapter.

Before I saw your solution, I was thinking more of a unit like this:
    http://www.westermo.com/Resource.phx...rs/edw-100.htx

PC
    |
    Ethernet switch
    |
    Ethernet to RS232 Adapter
    |
    CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We spent money at work on port servers at my recomendation so I would be upset to find out I could of just plugged them into a switch, but I don't think it works that way.

I use a ubs rs-232 adapter for test and it has been flawless. But it is a hit and miss on one type or another. Those units look very nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Viking View Post
    PinMan,

PC
    |
    Ethernet switch
    |
    Ethernet to RS232 Adapter
    |
    CNC
    This is a fine proposal.

I have used a few of these ethernet-serial adapters: westermo, lantronix and digi all with good results. A few people are using wireless but unless you have big cable routing problems I wouldn't want the additional complexity.

Downloads
    Uploads

My understanding (although I am not a network expert) is that Ethernet is Ethernet and that a switch is transparent and provides access to the Ethernet-RS232 adapter(s) from all PC's atached to the switch. The adapters I looked at can each be set for a uniqe IP adress.

PC(one or more)
    |
    Ethernet switch
    |
    Ethernet - RS232 Adapter(one placed at each CNC)
    |
    CNC(one or more)

Any one that operates a system like this and know for sure?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ideally my last post really should have arrived a few seconds before Andy Carter's and both are comment's answer's to antichip's last post.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Russell@Iscar View Post
    Hi AndyCarter,
    Thanks very much for your help. Does my request seem a little more understandable now?
    OK, thanks this is my understanding now:

You have a Spectrum CNC serial port server connected to each machine
    like this: http://www.multi-dnc.com/downloads/m...s_04-01-05.pdf

You are using Multi-DNC software on your PC, and you want to know how to configure the parameters on your fanuc controllers?

I don't know specifics to be able to give step by step instructions but it sounds like a simple enough request, I am sure someone will be along in a bit with some fanuc knowledge who can help, or perhaps Spectrum CNC support might know?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Russell@Iscar;488706]Is there anyone with a detail step by step to set-up parameters in a variety of Fanuc controllers, 10M, 11M, 15M, 16M, & 160MQUOTE]

Some of your machine settings might vary in order to work. attached is a standard pinout for the controls using RS232. I have my plugs set up the exact way. I have never had a problem.

In my 15 control parameters. #0 = 0000000. #20,21,22,23 = 1 #5001=1(device #) #5110=1 #5111=2(stop bits) #5112=10(48 baud rate)

hope this helps,
    Stevo

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USB to RS232 connection-wiring-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PinMan View Post
    Just make sure that you are assigning COM1 or COM2 to your LAN connection.
    How do you assign COM1 to the LAN connection? I am running windows XP on a Dell Latitude D600. I have already gone into my devices and under COM1 but did not see anything for assignment.

Pinman if this works why would someone want to use the USB-RS232 if it causes problems. This seems much easier. I have always been running the 9pin from PC to 25pin CNC with the ethernet. I never new that you could just plug the ethernet in the PC. Saves me on wiring plugs.

Stevo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast