Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?

Thread: Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?

The schematics that DMM has to wire the DYN4 as a spindle drive to an acorn board are for an old version of acorn that doesn't exist anymore. I know it's possible to do, as several youtubers have successfully wired the current generation acorn boards to work with DYN4 spindle drives in their milling machines. This is my first project with any kind of complex wiring involved so I though I'd ask before I mess something up. Are there any pictures or user made wiring diagrams showing how to do this out there?

Attached is the schematic DMM provided (for the revision 3 acorn, current revision of acorn is 4)

In acorn revision 4 the outputs 1-8 are now connected to 8 relays and I'm trying to find a solid answer to how I'll wire into those. As the old diagram depicts I have to have an output for the direction (OC5) and another output (anyone OC1-OC8) for the enable signal. I know I'll have to solder in a 2k ohm resistor on the JP4 DB25 plug side, I'm not sure what the symbol is between the DIR+ and DIR- / OC5 and COM is though and if that's something I need to add or not? I know half of that symbol would be an LED if by itself, not sure what it means when added to the other bit though.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?-untitled-2963-jpg   Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?-untitled1-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone used a DYN4 spindle drive with an acorn board?

That is a opto-isolator. The left side is a LED and the right side is a photo transistor. When the LED part is lit the light emitted causes the transistor to turn on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by setlab View Post
    The schematics that DMM has to wire the DYN4 as a spindle drive to an acorn board are for an old version of acorn that doesn't exist anymore. I know it's possible to do, as several youtubers have successfully wired the current generation acorn boards to work with DYN4 spindle drives in their milling machines. This is my first project with any kind of complex wiring involved so I though I'd ask before I mess something up. Are there any pictures or user made wiring diagrams showing how to do this out there?

Attached is the schematic DMM provided (for the revision 3 acorn, current revision of acorn is 4)

In acorn revision 4 the outputs 1-8 are now connected to 8 relays and I'm trying to find a solid answer to how I'll wire into those. As the old diagram depicts I have to have an output for the direction (OC5) and another output (anyone OC1-OC8) for the enable signal. I know I'll have to solder in a 2k ohm resistor on the JP4 DB25 plug side, I'm not sure what the symbol is between the DIR+ and DIR- / OC5 and COM is though and if that's something I need to add or not? I know half of that symbol would be an LED if by itself, not sure what it means when added to the other bit though.
    Have you had any luck with your project? I'm doing this very same thing im using a DYN4 H01A2 and the 11A-DST-A6HK1 motor to run as a spindle running off of 220v single phase. Have you looked at Centroids wiring diagram? Also DMM has a wiring diagram too. I am just now getting power to my control box im getting ready to wire everything up , I was on here to find pointers . I'm curious to see what you find out please post your results when you make progress it would help

I too would like to know how you got on with this! I'm hoping to do the same... run this motor as a spindle on my lathe so that I can do c-axis style engraving or threading/rigid tapping, without jumping through hoops with getting a 3ph motor, vfd, mounting an encoder, etc. I'm in the final planning stages of the control cabinet and want to ensure i get everything i need!

I spoke with DMM - those components are internal to the acorn and DYN4 and do not need to be wired in