Short video about my issue with DMM and their "NEMA 23" servos

Thread: Short video about my issue with DMM and their "NEMA 23" servos

Thumbs down Short video about my issue with DMM and their "NEMA 23" servos

Long story short, the motor is too large to allow for ANY clearance for bolt heads to fit in the NEMA 23 spacing. Impossible to tell from the motor drawings online that this would've been an issue.
    However they've made the return process easy and paid for it. Hopefully this saves someone from going through the same trouble as I did.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Short video about my issue with DMM and their "NEMA 23" servos

Seems like DMM messed up trying to make a "universal" plate for a motor that is too large to be a NEMA 23.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    60mm is an IEC frame size and is slightly larger than NEMA23. I'm not sure that NEMA24 is an 'offical' NEMA size but it is a drop
    in replacement for a 60mm IEC motor but as you have discovered not NEMA23.

On a population basis the majority of the worlds nations use IEC. On the basis of economic volume its about tied between IEC and NEMA.

'The good thing about standards.....there is so many to choose from'

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at the Teknic ClearPath servo's.
    https://www.teknic.com/products/clea...path-sd-servo/

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Clearpath's are good, both quality and support but they are way expensive relative to their power output. Also their IO is limited, where most modern
    AC servos have 6-8 digital outputs, 2 or more analogue outputs, 6 or more digital inputs AND a synthesized encoder output, Clearpath's have a couple of
    digital inputs (not counting step/direction) and only one digital output.

If OP is absolutely set on NEMA23 servos, they are available but the range of choices drops somewhat. If he were prepared to alter the mounts then 60mm
    frame comes into the picture with two brands in particular offering great value for money with good quality and support, Delta (Taiwanese manufactured in China)
    and DMM (Canadian manufactured in China).

Craig

Thanks guys but I've already installed a set of iHSV57 180w servos and very happy with them. Still lots of fine tuning left on the servos and rewriting some of my macros to compensate for the rapids (17m/m) before I can make chips again. I really can't complain since the iHSV57 servos cost $100 each and only required the shanks to be shortened.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    60mm is an IEC frame size and is slightly larger than NEMA23. I'm not sure that NEMA24 is an 'offical' NEMA size but it is a drop
    I was going to post the same thing, but then I went to DMM's website and saw that they are advertising these as Nema 23 motors. What they really are is modified 60mm motors modifies to meet "some" Nema 23 standards.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

but then I went to DMM's website and saw that they are advertising these as Nema 23 motors
    Then DMM are doing themselves a disservice. I noted in their product line-up some servos that were genuine NEMA23 size, but they looked to be older designs
    which have been superseded by the Chinese manufactured 60mm IEC frame servos. I can well imagine DMM would like to represent that their current models are a direct
    replacement for NEMA23, but the truth is they are not....or at least not perfectly. That does no-one any favours at all.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi

On a population basis the majority of the worlds nations use IEC. On the basis of economic volume its about tied between IEC and NEMA.

'The good thing about standards.....there is so many to choose from'

Craig
    I think nema 24 is a new standard?
    I have leadshine nema 24 ( 60mm ) stepper motors on my machine.
    Of course finding motor mounts this size is not easy.
    I had to make mine up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nema 24, or 60mm steppers are not at all the same as 60mm servos.
    The steppers still have the 1-1/2" (38.1mm) mounting boss, and usually 1/4" or 3/8" shaft, while the servos have a 50mm boss and 14mm shaft.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

Then DMM are doing themselves a disservice. I noted in their product line-up some servos that were genuine NEMA23 size, but they looked to be older designs
    which have been superseded by the Chinese manufactured 60mm IEC frame servos. I can well imagine DMM would like to represent that their current models are a direct
    replacement for NEMA23, but the truth is they are not....or at least not perfectly. That does no-one any favours at all.

Craig
    They manufacture everything in there own factory, and can custom make any motor to what anyone needs Ac Servos have never been a Nema size, what they do have is custom for those that need a Nema flange and mounting pattern if you where to order a Nema servo from them, then they would do there best to make it

Mactec54

This wasn't a "custom" from DMM, it's the 57N-DHT which they advertise as a 57mm NEMA 23. If you look at their PDF in the link below you'll see in the drawings that the frame is 60mm and the mounting circumference of NEMA 23 which is right inside the holes where it's impossible to alight a bolt. My issue is that they really shouldn't be claiming this as a NEMA 23 as I quickly learned why it was that DMM was seemingly the only company that sold a 400W NEMA 23 AC Servo. Doing your best with this outcome really isn't acceptable in their industry.

http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/motor_...on/DHT-57N.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Belarusian View Post
    This wasn't a "custom" from DMM, it's the 57N-DHT which they advertise as a 57mm NEMA 23. If you look at their PDF in the link below you'll see in the drawings that the frame is 60mm and the mounting circumference of NEMA 23 which is right inside the holes where it's impossible to alight a bolt. My issue is that they really shouldn't be claiming this as a NEMA 23 as I quickly learned why it was that DMM was seemingly the only company that sold a 400W NEMA 23 AC Servo. Doing your best with this outcome really isn't acceptable in their industry.

http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/motor_...on/DHT-57N.pdf
    Did you try a 4mm SHCS that will fit and do the job without any issues also a 10-24 or 10-32 will fit also, they have a smaller head than the 5mm you where trying to use, I have mounted them with the 10-24 SHCS without any issues

Mactec54