Overcurrent and run away

Thread: Overcurrent and run away

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Overcurrent and run away

So ivve run these multiturn dmms for close to a year with zero issues. recently however there have been some wierd behavior.

There have been instances where the machine home and first movement for that specific axis there was a thump. didnt happen too often and didnt really know if it was something to take notice of. Its just now that I think it might be a something to ponder.

Couple of weeks ago the X axis started alarming out (750w motor/Dyn4 drive) Lost phase. The bearings in the ball screw support were shot i replaced those.
    Tho it kept alarming out at seemingly random times. I suspected it could be chips getting into the ballscrew but everytime it happened i rotated the ballscrew by hand to see if there was anything there and it was always really hard to tell. Meaning not much resistance.
    But cleaning the screw and relubricating it seems to have fixed the issue.
    I noticed the encoder batteries on the cables were corroded. All of them. I dont use the multiturn fuction yet so i just removed them.

As of 2-3 days ago it started getting serious as the right side of the gantry (1kw motor/Dyn4 drive) flipped out. I was homing the machine and homing Z and X was fine but when it got to dual driven Y the right side motor rapided in reverse draging the left side with it. The left side alarmed out lost phase.

I looked for reasons but none were found.
    The next morning the left side did the exact same thing. Over and over. If I shut everyting off long enough it would happen again when i homed the Y axis.
    It even happened once when i only homed the Z. I even swapped the Y axis drives and it still happened.

And my "it" i mean the left side motor runs away and alarms out.

I retightened wires and cleaned up a bit in the cabinet. I use simcnc and installed an older version to make sure.

After a few hours it seemed to have went away. I cut for a few hours and the machine was idling when i changed sheets.
    I went to the keyboard to rapid towards me but the gantry just stuttered. The left side alarmed out Over current.

Now its going into over current alarm whenever i power up the drive. With or without the motor connected.

Ivve never had more work so panic mode initiated. I emailed dmm support this morning but they are like 9 hours behind so its not even noon there.
    I asked to get a drive fedexed asap if nothing else.

I have filter and fuse on the logic side and filter and line reactors on the power as per the manual.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Overcurrent and run away

UPDATE: DMM told me to check the batteries since bad ones could cause trouble so I better install new ones and see if that takes care of the wonkyness.
    Also they have everything ready on the shelf and can ship immediately.. Phew. Its going to be fine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so fedex are also affected by the virus so 5 days seems to be the delivery time for express delivery. And thats a problem, because i need it up and running like now and next friday and monday are days off /holidays so that would deley shipping even further.

Im in the shop trying stuff and ivve replaced the batteries, the old ones (removed them some time ago) might have been the wrong kind, unsure, but now they are fresh correct ones in there.

If i do not have the encoder cable connected i get "lost phase" error.. makes sense. And if i hook up the encoder cable i get "Over current". I can still monitor the motor through the software and see that the drive is talking to the encoder.

Ivve tried diffrent motor/encoder and with without connection to the controller.

jivkom in another thread here had a similar problem that turned out to be wrong firmware. (not my problem since ivve run these for almost a year) My thinking is that since one of the other drives reset itself (parameters) at one point perhaps this drive did the same but in some other way.. more firmware related.. does that make sense ?

Supposedly the firmware was "user-reconfigurable" ? Anyone know anything about that ?

Offcourse ill ask dmm but thats on monday. I reeaaaaally got to try and get cutting as soon as possible, ill do anything. If all else fails i might try finding a power supply for my old steppers/drivers and using one of those on the Z and taking the Z dmm drive and using it on this Y.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm bumping this, hoping to find out how this was resolved. I'm seriously considering a DMM upgrade to my Multicam MG.

Buy my Multicam!