CNC MILL Conversion DMM Servo spindle ATC.

Thread: CNC MILL Conversion DMM Servo spindle ATC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question CNC MILL Conversion DMM Servo spindle ATC.

I am machining parts for a G0704 CNC conversion. My mill never came with a milling head so I have made a mount for a BT30 ATC spindle with air cylinder on top. I need to find a spindle motor to run the machine. I like the 1.8KW DMM Servo. That Motor has a 3000rpm max speed. My spindle can take 7000rpm. I know I can gear up the speed. How then do I get the spindle to stop at the same spot so as to use the ATC. I want the BT30 dogs to be in the right place to fit into the head (like the MX1100 Tormach. Is there a way to program this in Mach3 (Mach4 if need be) or the DMM software or do I have to put on a spindle encoder or what other choices exist.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC MILL Conversion DMM Servo spindle ATC.

you don't need to add an encoder to dmm 1.8KW servo (if dyn4) as the drive has incremental encoder feedback that you can connect to an encoder input on your controller.
    I think you other questions depend on what controller you use.

cheers

If you run that servo at 2:1 you've halved your torque and you especially don't need drive dogs. You should stop asking the same questions in different formats. If you want more rpm, buy a motor that will run more rpm, that way your preserve your torque. I'm running a 6k rpm 2.2kw BLDC at 1:1. It's more then enough power for a G0704. I've tapped up to M10.

You can run the built in encoder or add one, but you'll still need to change your M6 macro to clock the spindle every tool change.

Downloads
    Uploads

1. Operate the servo drive in step/direction mode (both in the DMM drive and Mach3)

2. Configure the C axis with the same pins.

3. Attach a proximity sensor to the head and attach a ring with a trigger (set screw) to the spindle (not the motor).

4. Align the trigger to trip the sensor at the orientation you want.

5. Edit the C axis homing sequence with an appropriate speed and set the home pin to the spindle sensor.

6. Edit your M6 to run a homing comand on the C axis at the beginning of every tool change

6. Never, ever call a "C" axis move while the spindle is commanded to move (M3/M4).

7. Add a screen button or whatever to disable the spindle servo. Otherwise it'll be locked in place and you can't rotate it by hand during setups.

8. Enjoy the ability to orient the spindle by jogging or via MDI and having the spindle be locked in place by the servo drive.

Now go broach an internal spline