Servo motors

Thread: Servo motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servo motors

I was wondering if anyone can advise me as to what size motors are required to replace my exisiting Magnetek Brushed DC motors on a Prototrak machine. Current motors are 1\3HP , 2000 rpm. and have the tacho type encoders on them. I could swap them out for new encoders at a cost but prefer to go for new motors and sell my MX3 sytem complete with servos, motors, pantalla and PC.

I am looking to upgrade the machine control system with new AC Brushless motors but not sure what size to aim for? Are 750w motors suitable for this Bridgeport sized knee mill? Also require information on which servo drive to match up with them.

Any help very much appreciated, TIA

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo motors

Quote Originally Posted by bugattiman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can advise me as to what size motors are required to replace my exisiting Magnetek Brushed DC motors on a Prototrak machine. Current motors are 1\3HP , 2000 rpm. and have the tacho type encoders on them. I could swap them out for new encoders at a cost but prefer to go for new motors and sell my MX3 sytem complete with servos, motors, pantalla and PC.

I am looking to upgrade the machine control system with new AC Brushless motors but not sure what size to aim for? Are 750w motors suitable for this Bridgeport sized knee mill? Also require information on which servo drive to match up with them.

Any help very much appreciated, TIA
    X and Y will be fine with 750W Ac Servos and drives you may need 1Kw for the Z axes unless it is counter weighted Dmm motor and Drives are a good choice

DMM | Technology Solutions | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

Acorn Eding or Uncnc for your control

https://www.edingcnc.com/products.php

https://centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy...ontroller.html

https://www.cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mactec54.

The actual z axis is only powering the quill movement not the knee itself.

I have glass scales linear rails on the x and y axis plus an additional one on the knee with a digital readout counter on that axis.

Do you know if I am able to connect the glass scale \ encoders to the actual servo drives to enable full closed loop system and be able of using them if working the machine in manual mode?
    Really appreciate the quick response, cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Mactec54, DMM servos & drives. 750W will be fine for all axes, that's what I would use on my machine if I replaced the DC servos.

No, you can not connect the glass scales to the servo drives. But you can use them to close the loop at the controller. This assumes that the glass scales output a standard square wave quadrature signal, not all do.

Camsoft, Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog, Mesa products will close the loop at the controller and allow you to use the DRO in manual mode. Mach3/4 with Galil will allow you to use the DRO in manual mode, but does not close the loop at the controller, but will still work with the DMM servos. There may be some other systems that will do what you want also.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bugattiman View Post
    Thank you Mactec54.

The actual z axis is only powering the quill movement not the knee itself.

I have glass scales linear rails on the x and y axis plus an additional one on the knee with a digital readout counter on that axis.

Do you know if I am able to connect the glass scale \ encoders to the actual servo drives to enable full closed loop system and be able of using them if working the machine in manual mode?
    Really appreciate the quick response, cheers
    That gets why more complicated when you want to use both motor Encoder and a linear scale for feed back, there are not many control options when you want to do this normally Servo Drive Encoder feed back is all that is needed which with Dmm can also go from the Servo Drive to the Control if you have a need to close the loop in the control, the control will also have to be able to support this, the controls I listed will not support this

For a simple setup Servo Motor Encoder and Servo Drive close the loop, is all that is needed for most mills lathes routers Etc

It will get expensive to implement duel feed back, in a professional way

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a educational video on the Galil Motion site by Dr Jacob Tal that explains how to use motor encoders and scales, The PID feedback loop is split between the motor and the scale, this is particularly important if the if there is the slightest degree of backlash in the scale operated slide component.
    Al..

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.