DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost

Hi,

Looking for some guidance, and input i guess. I have a 1.8kw servo motor and matched drive from DMM, For those of you that have the same setup, ive seen a few mention they have this drive running at 2:1 to achieve 6000rpm, have you had any phase fault issues?

I cannot get past 2600rpm in the DMM software. It just goes to phase fault, while machining any minor load on the motor and it also shuts off. These were cuts my treadmill motor was making with ease at 4300 rpm.

This is running on a G0704 mill with a 1.7:1 ratio. I guess this is somewhat irrelevant due the motor not being able to reach max rpm even during bench testing.

I have been in contact with DMM and in turn they are in contact with their development team.

But id thought id ask here as im sure there are quiet a few people with these motors/drive setup on here that i could compare notes with.

Cheers Daniel

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Danno11; 06-23-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost

I guess i should also mention im using 240v single phase to power the drive. It is all wired up following what is in the manual.

Regards Daniel

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Danno11 View Post
    Hi,

Looking for some guidance, and input i guess. I have a 1.8kw servo motor and matched drive from DMM, For those of you that have the same setup, ive seen a few mention they have this drive running at 2:1 to achieve 6000rpm, have you had any phase fault issues?

I cannot get past 2600rpm in the DMM software. It just goes to phase fault, while machining any minor load on the motor and it also shuts off. These were cuts my treadmill motor was making with ease at 4300 rpm.

This is running on a G0704 mill with a 1.7:1 ratio. I guess this is somewhat irrelevant due the motor not being able to reach max rpm even during bench testing.

I have been in contact with DMM and in turn they are in contact with their development team.

But id thought id ask here as im sure there are quiet a few people with these motors/drive setup on here that i could compare notes with.

Cheers Daniel
    Speed is usually related to the power supply the 1.8Kw motor only has a 1500RPM with a max up to 3000RPM I would check with DMM as to what your problem could be

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I had one like that. They said that the encoder was likely out of alignment and replaced the motor. Once I got it working from the software these are the setting I ended up with. I'm running 1.8:1 gearing and I get 5350 rpm from it.

DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost-dyn4acservoparameters-jpg

When I asked them about setting for use as a spindle motor this is what they said.

For use as spindle motor, set Integration Gain to "1" and keep it at "1". Then increase Main Gain and Speed Gain until the motion is rigid and suitable. Keep Main Gain and Speed Gain at the same value.

Make sure to install a regenerative resistor on the drive to help absorb deceleration energy from the motor. Also install a transformer or AC line reactor on the AC power input to smooth and filter the power coming into the drive.

They were very helpful and responsive to email. Usually replied by next day.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

I still haven't got this sorted, DMM arnt being very helpful or responsive. I live in Australia so if I do have motor issues I hope they honor their warranty. Atleast two
    Weeks ago I was told that my issues would be escalated to the dev team, but they were away at a conference for a few days. I've heard nothing since, even after sending a follow up email. Tbh I'm not really impressed with their service after I said I am having issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m currently in the same situation looking to put a 1.8kw on my g0704 were you able to get the 3000rpm? I suspect it’s going to be be it’s single phase 220 and not 3 phase 220

Downloads
    Uploads

I still haven't got this sorted, DMM arnt being very helpful or responsive. I live in Australia so if I do have motor issues I hope they honor their warranty. Atleast two
    Weeks ago I was told that my issues would be escalated to the dev team, but they were away at a conference for a few days. I've heard nothing since, even after sending a follow up email. Tbh I'm not really impressed with their service after I said I am having issues.
    Lost phase can be more than one thing as that shows as a fault, it does sound like you have over load which can happen if the Parameters are not set correct, have you used power filters on the inputs to the drives

How are you driving the motor Step / Dir or +/-10v most that use these for a spindle are using voltage to control them I must do a test and see how or if 0-10v will run them as there is some on YouTube that is this is one but he has the 1Kw DMM motor but yours should be setup the same way

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Looked up some old notes I had from there spec's

If you are running the motor from the DMM software then you will reach a max RPM depending on your power supply Voltage and you will get a Drive fault, this is normal

Other things that can cause a lost phase is

Check that the encoder feedback cable is securely plugged from the servo motor to the JP3 port of the servo drive.

Check for any mechanical irregularities that might be preventing the motors to move freely. the 1.8Kw is a power house so you should not be having any cutting problems you may just have a setup problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I went through so much with DMM, they even sent me a new DYN4 drive with software changes to fix my "issues" they couldnt tell me what was changed or why they were sending me another unit. This one also does not work. I have tried different encoders, re-calibrating encoders, have tested wiring, motor amperage draw, mains power amperage draw, adding and removing all filters, every calibration setting in the dyn4 software, took the whole assembly to a different location for different power.

The motor will run in torque mode to 3000rpm no worries, step/dir or speed mode, dies at about 2500rpm.

I regret buying DMM equipment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I went through so much with DMM, they even sent me a new DYN4 drive with software changes to fix my "issues" they couldnt tell me what was changed or why they were sending me another unit. This one also does not work. I have tried different encoders, re-calibrating encoders, have tested wiring, motor amperage draw, mains power amperage draw, adding and removing all filters, every calibration setting in the dyn4 software, took the whole assembly to a different location for different power.

The motor will run in torque mode to 3000rpm no worries, step/dir or speed mode, dies at about 2500rpm.

When these motors can't reach there max RPM this is normally a supply Voltage problem, this type of servo motor was never designed to be used as a spindle motor even though a lot use them
    because it is easy to use them for rigid tapping, and yes to get the best out of the motor you should be using it in torque mode using 0-10v which is why I posted that video he is using his motor this way once you get it running connected like he has you will be pleased what you have

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You do realize, having tried this, that torque is no good for a spindle yea?

I have mentioned above, speed mode does the same thing, doesnt get anywhere near top speed of 3000 rpm.

At the end of the day i bought a product that had terrible customer service, that did not perform as intended and i am no stuck with a sub par situation that unless i fork out more money for another type of spindle motor, i have to live with.

There is no setup option, no psychical wiring variation/ component setup that this kit will perform to its specification.

I appreciate your suggestions but it just doesn't do what its supposed to.

In fact i have 3 other motor/drive dyn 4 setups that have been tested that do not reach max speed. Sure they will be fine for axis control, but for spindle drive they are no fit for purpose.

Downloads
    Uploads

You do realize, having tried this, that torque is no good for a spindle yea?

I have mentioned above, speed mode does the same thing, doesnt get anywhere near top speed of 3000 rpm.

At the end of the day i bought a product that had terrible customer service, that did not perform as intended and i am no stuck with a sub par situation that unless i fork out more money for another type of spindle motor, i have to live with.

There is no setup option, no psychical wiring variation/ component setup that this kit will perform to its specification.

I appreciate your suggestions but it just doesn't do what its supposed to.

In fact i have 3 other motor/drive dyn 4 setups that have been tested that do not reach max speed. Sure they will be fine for axis control, but for spindle drive they are no fit for purpose.
    Like I said there are many users are doing the same thing without any problems, and some are using Torque or speed mode to control the motor, also as I said when max speed can't be achieved this is normally caused by the supply voltage /current available, how many amps is your 230v supply for that drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Voltage as measured at the wall socket is, 243v, 15 amp wire, 15 amp socket.

The motor will reach max speed on speed mode in normal direction mode but not in reverese. Which is the direction i need for cutting.

Im not gonna bother with this any more, it can go in the cupboard with the other stuff i have from them.

Ill buy something more suitable.

To anyone else thats buying one of these for this purpose, they have issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Voltage as measured at the wall socket is, 243v, 15 amp wire, 15 amp socket.

The motor will reach max speed on speed mode in normal direction mode but not in reverese. Which is the direction i need for cutting.

Im not gonna bother with this any more, it can go in the cupboard with the other stuff i have from them.

Ill buy something more suitable.

To anyone else that's buying one of these for this purpose, they have issues.
    15A is not going to be enough check the requirement's for the 1.8Kw motor at Rated 1500 RPM=10.7A at 3000 RPM Peak is 32.1A the servo drive for this motor spec's are at 28.7 A 3000 RPM so your motor won't do very well with the 15A circuit

I have mostly used 750w motors which need a 20A circuit to run it at max so your 1.8Kw is not going to run very well on 15A supply, I'm surprised that you get up to 2500RPM I'm sure you have high inertia as well to deal with using a 1:2 ratio , even if it did get up to speed it would not have the needed Amps to give it the torque you need with a 1:2 ratio and cutting would be poor also

So you need at least a 30A circuit to run this motor to get the max out of it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive connected it to power at work, and my dedicated heater circuit. It doesnt matter what i do.

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel your pain. I have 2 DMM 1.3kw on my X and Y axis and my Z axis has a 1.8kw. They replaced motors half their size and cannot achieve full speed under analog speed control. The only way I have got them to function at speed is in position mode via DMM software with the acceleration turned way down. I have added line reactors, noise filters etc. They have 240v+ available and over 60 amps they could draw from.

Part of the problem is the drives have a 5ms delay in sending feedback to linuxcnc so the cnc controller is getting bad information from the drives in its attempt to close the position loop. This seems to be causing the motor to be told to over accelerate to "catch up". I was able to verify this issue with a scope and cross checked it with a heidenhain encoder mounted directly to the motors shaft. Heidenham had instant response back to the control, the DMM encoder through the drive output was lagging well behind.

Once I finish the refurbish on this VMC I am putting Yaskawa servos on it and getting rid of DMM.

I have a Chinese 1.8kw servo I use as a spindle on my G0704 and it works great. Just had to fumble through the manual.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/600W-0-6KW-...YAAOSwBRVaXq79

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah sounds like you've had the same headache i have, does that chinese motor reach 3000rpm with enough torque to do machining at 2:1, i have a g0704 frankenstein. I was just about to buy a 3.7kw 6000rpm motor for it cause im sick of this DMM overheating and faulting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah it does pretty well. Especially in aluminum. I have stalled larger drills in steel but not end mills. What motor is 3.7kw and 6k? My vmc is only 5.5kw, I don't think the g0704 can use that much power for anything other than drilling. My issue is rigidity rather than spindle power.

Downloads
    Uploads

My g0704, well theres not much left.

This is the motor, https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1eca2fc2U129uS

This is the end result of years of mods

DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost-168646299_907396813344924_7258933193079849898_n-jpgDMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost-168827677_495086968520417_8253940790729356779_n-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost-168646299_907396813344924_7258933193079849898_n-jpg   DMM 1.8kw Servo Phase Lost-168827677_495086968520417_8253940790729356779_n-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that may not count as a g0704 anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast