Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation

Thread: Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation

1st question: Does L1 on DYN4 servo drive connects to N (DC-) or P (DC+) on the EMI filter?
    2nd question: Does L1 on DYN4 servo drive connects to Load or Line Side of the EMI filter?
    My guess is L1 connects to the Load side on P(DC+) but I am not sure....

3rd question: Do I need both a 1A EMI filter for L1 and L2 and a 10A EMI filter for RST of the DYN4 servo drive?
    I think the 10A EMI filter for RST is optional but I am not sure....

4th question: Is the 1A fuse placed between DYN4 servo drive and the EMI filter or between the EMI filter and the magnetic contactor?

Thank you in advance for any help on this troublesome matter...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation

Are you using 120v or 240v?

If 240v, it doesn't matter each leg is hot with 120v so L1 and L2 both get 120v from each terminal of the filter. If 120v, then I'm guessing P (DC+) goes to L1 but not sure if L2 gets the neutral.

The DYN4 connects to the load side

DMM said they no longer require two filters for logic and mains. They told me to just use x1 10a filter per drive to filter both. I'm using terminal blocks to breakout the power into two 240v pairs for both the main power and the logic.

They also told me the 1A fuse was no longer necessary.

Keep in mind these were for drives purchased in March 2019. Earlier drive may still require them.

Here is a pic from during my panel build. The red and black wires are 120v pairs making 240v. After they go through the breakers, contactors, and line reactors, they feed into the line side of the filters (partially obstructed by the BOB mezannine). From there the lines are broken into terminal blocks where they feed both the drive power (S,T) and the logic power (L1,L2).
    Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation-20190419_145428-jpg

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using 120V. I got some answers from DMM tech and told me the same thing that the DYN4 servo drive connects to the load side and that it did not matter were L1 and L2 was connected either Neutral or Hot. They did not asked me if I was running them at 120V or 240V so I'm guessing it does not matter either but not sure. They also said I could use the 10A EMI filter for both RST and L1/L2. I purchased the DMM drives recently the H01 for 750W motors and they look like the ones you have. I did not realized one could use one EMI filter and split it into both RST and L1/L2 I thought you need it one EMI filter for RST and another one for L1/L2, I guess I have to ask about that as well. I forgot to ask them about the fuse location hopefully not neccessary as you mentioned.
    By the way that is a nice set up you have there, Thanks you so much for the help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    Are you using 120v or 240v?

If 240v, it doesn't matter each leg is hot with 120v so L1 and L2 both get 120v from each terminal of the filter. If 120v, then I'm guessing P (DC+) goes to L1 but not sure if L2 gets the neutral.

The DYN4 connects to the load side

DMM said they no longer require two filters for logic and mains. They told me to just use x1 10a filter per drive to filter both. I'm using terminal blocks to breakout the power into two 240v pairs for both the main power and the logic.

They also told me the 1A fuse was no longer necessary.

Keep in mind these were for drives purchased in March 2019. Earlier drive may still require them.

Here is a pic from during my panel build. The red and black wires are 120v pairs making 240v. After they go through the breakers, contactors, and line reactors, they feed into the line side of the filters (partially obstructed by the BOB mezannine). From there the lines are broken into terminal blocks where they feed both the drive power (S,T) and the logic power (L1,L2).
    Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation-20190419_145428-jpg
    Nice layout Swath, I am currently wiring my cabinet with similar components. Wish I knew this filter information before I purchased. I am using one 30a for mains and 1a filter per logic lines. It looks like you used line reactors, what is your line-line voltage at the wall?
    I chose not to install them as I have 245VAC, which per the manual it is in tolerance. Ger21 stated in another post that he blew a DYN4 with 245V. I'm a little nervous to flip the switch. What part # did you use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jmhx2 View Post
    Nice layout Swath, I am currently wiring my cabinet with similar components. Wish I knew this filter information before I purchased. I am using one 30a for mains and 1a filter per logic lines. It looks like you used line reactors, what is your line-line voltage at the wall?
    I chose not to install them as I have 245VAC, which per the manual it is in tolerance. Ger21 stated in another post that he blew a DYN4 with 245V. I'm a little nervous to flip the switch. What part # did you use?
    Thanks! That was an older pic when I was still working on it. Here is a newer pic (still a bit old though).
    Help with Schaffner EMI filter and DNY4 installation-20190524_120901-jpg

I was unable to use the DMM BOB for unknown reasons. It couldn't use my DIR signal??? (So if anyone needs the DMM BOB and the db25 cables that connect the drives to it I have some for sale). I had to make my own BOB with a series of DB25 BOB. Works great. I just patched them together line an old phone line operator.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using more filters, they just told me that they had added some filtering internally to the drive and it was no longer necessary to filter the logic separately. They also either beefed up the logic power or added internal fusing so the external fuse was unnecessary. My voltage from the wall is 242VAC but DMM recommended I use line reactors anyway. I got those reactors on ebay. Here was the description: Allen-Bradley 1321-3R12-B 3 Phase Line Reactor 12A, 50/60Hz, 600V. I couldn't find a 10A so the 12A is what I went with.

Also I was initial going to use one power source to power all the drives but an EE friend of mine strongly recommended having each drive on it's own breaker and line components. That's why the cabinet is so jam packed with stuff. I kept just enough free space to add a 4th drive should I decide to later.

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Im also working on my cabinet currently, i also had some questionsmarks bout it but ivve got 3 fase 400 meaning im using single fase 230v (line +neutral) so its tiny bit different. The DMM stuff if fairly new (less than 6 months) but didnt know anything about not needing the second filter ect, I just went by the manual.
    '
    I'll put the 1A fuses before the 1A filters for the logic side. Because it fits and wont matter. The linereactors are singe fase meaning only the line will pass the reactor, the zero will pass the filters but not the reactors or contactor. no point.

Nicly done swath. Hope I can achieve someting as proper in the end.

This was shot today accually.