Recommended Voltage for DYN4 Drives/Motors

Thread: Recommended Voltage for DYN4 Drives/Motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommended Voltage for DYN4 Drives/Motors

Was looking into possibly getting the DYN4/400w 200v kit for my homemade CNC router and wanted to know a little more information on the voltage.

The drivers say they can handle 110-240VAC. If 110/120v is used on the drivers instead of 220/240v, will the motors still operate normally, just at a higher amperage compared to 240v?

Reason I'm asking is because I do not have 220/240v in the location where I keep my CNC router and wanted to stick with what was already in the area.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommended Voltage for DYN4 Drives/Motors

Quote Originally Posted by firepong View Post
    Was looking into possibly getting the DYN4/400w 200v kit for my homemade CNC router and wanted to know a little more information on the voltage.

The drivers say they can handle 110-240VAC. If 110/120v is used on the drivers instead of 220/240v, will the motors still operate normally, just at a higher amperage compared to 240v?

Reason I'm asking is because I do not have 220/240v in the location where I keep my CNC router and wanted to stick with what was already in the area.
    They will run the same on 120v or 240v the only difference is the max speed will is less on the 120v supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They will run the same on 120v or 240v the only difference is the max speed will is less on the 120v supply
    Ok. So that's not bad at all. I had calculated the max speed (@3000rpm) to roughly 500ipm, and knew I would never be able to get that on my home machine.

I was not expecting to go over 1000rpm on the servo if and when I got it and installed on the system. So if the rpm is reduced and does not pull anymore than the other rated specs, I am 100% fine with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't running on 120V require double the amps?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I was wondering that as well. If it does, the CNC is on it's own 120v, 25A breaker. So if the amps are double, the breaker will handle and still have about 25% over-head room just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads

They could draw a little more current, but would not be double, on 120v they draw a max of 20 amps I have never blown a 20 fuse or tripped a 20 amp breaker

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. So that's not bad at all. I had calculated the max speed (@3000rpm) to roughly 500ipm, and knew I would never be able to get that on my home machine.

I was not expecting to go over 1000rpm on the servo if and when I got it and installed on the system. So if the rpm is reduced and does not pull anymore than the other rated specs, I am 100% fine with that.
    Even if you used the Dyna 2 Drives depending on the supply voltage I have had then up to 3000 RPM with the 400w motors, Dyna4 drive are rated at 3000 RPM on 120v supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

They could draw a little more current, but would not be double, on 120v they draw a max of 20 amps I have never blown a 20 fuse or tripped a 20 amp breaker
    But aren't they rated at 3.5 amps at 220V?
    Or are you saying 20 amps for all the drives combined?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I know if I never go above the rated amps (Which is 2.8A on the Dyna4 at 200v...Didn't look at the DYNA2 though.), you will never do more than at most 5A (Because the amps required is a somewhat linear scale. Actually comes out to 4.4A). Now, if I went above the rated amps, that is getting into some pretty high amperage territory... A little over 14A a piece.

But I do have a feeling that it would rarely if ever go over the rated amps if you stay below the rated speed of the motor. The reason I say this is because of a couple reasons. Since the torque required for my machine is more than 20% below the rated torque, I should never (knock on wood) go over that, in which case I am limited to speed to stay below the amp limit. Since I do not plan on going over 1000rpm with maybe a max of 1200-1300rpm for rapids only, I will never get close to the rpm limit as well. So in theory, I would never hit anywhere near 5A running the motor (The rated amps stated above) and for sure will never go over the rated amps into the max amp range. So yes, I can get by with running all 3 of the motor's on 120v supply and actually run the machine on a 10A breaker if I wanted to, never going above 1500rpm, let alone the 20A breaker that the cnc router is connected to.

If the above does not hold true though and I do start tripping the breaker running all 3, I might have to bite the bullet and convert the 120v outlet to a 240v outlet, and change the breaker from 120v>240v. But I didn't want to do that because I would also have to get a transformer to take the voltage from that 240 to something more reasonable (Around 200-210v).

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, be careful with the 240V. I first tested my DYN4 with a 245V outlet, and it blew immediately. DMM repaired it, but I haven't had a chance to test it again.
    DMM sent me a white paper, and recommended a Line Reactor.
    I'll probably use both a transformer and Line Reactor.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the spec's for the motors you have, and look at the Peak Current for the voltage you are using, the Drive amps go higher as the supply voltage gets lower

Also check there spec's for the input power supply requirement's, they list 50A and 60A breakers for more than ( 1 ) Drive input Power supply, that is why I said 20A is normally ok for up to 3 drives with small motors, this depends on what voltage you are going to run with though

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So, I think I am going to change to the DYN2 drives with a 750 motor. Honestly don't know if I want to run the DYN4 servo's at 120v. Was going to use either a 1000w or 1500w toroidal 70v power supply to power the 3 motor's. 14A on the 1000w and 22A on the 1500w.In the opinion of the member's here, if I go this route, should I get the 1000w or 1500w?

Also, with the 70v, I am hoping to get the most out of the motor. And in the future, when and if I decide to install 220/240v in the home shop, I can buy the DYN4 drivers (As well as the cables) and be plug and play with the current setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

So, I think I am going to change to the DYN2 drives with a 750 motor. Honestly don't know if I want to run the DYN4 servo's at 120v. Was going to use either a 1000w or 1500w toroidal 70v power supply to power the 3 motor's. 14A on the 1000w and 22A on the 1500w.In the opinion of the member's here, if I go this route, should I get the 1000w or 1500w?

Also, with the 70v, I am hoping to get the most out of the motor. And in the future, when and if I decide to install 220/240v in the home shop, I can buy the DYN4 drivers (As well as the cables) and be plug and play with the current setup.
    The RPM will be lower with the 750w motor when using 70v a 1000w 20amp toroidal power supply is enough you want to go for the next slightly lower voltage toroidal as I have found the 70v units will output around 72v but if this is a regulated 70volts then you should be good otherwise get a lower voltage like 68V make sure the output has 2 caps to filter the Dc ripple, Dmm will give you the size requirement for this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The RPM will be lower with the 750w motor when using 70v a 1000w 20amp toroidal power supply is enough you want to go for the next slightly lower voltage toroidal as I have found the 70v units will output around 72v but if this is a regulated 70volts then you should be good otherwise get a lower voltage like 68V make sure the output has 2 caps to filter the Dc ripple, Dmm will give you the size requirement for this
    True on all accounts. As long as the RPM isn't lower than 1000-1500 RPM, it will work well for what I need. Unless I completely re-design my whole machine, I don't think I will be maxing out the RPM at the moment.

The toroidal PSU I was going to get was this one:

PS-10N70 - 1000W 70V Power Supply - AnTek Products Corp

If you think I should tone it down to 68V, I can get this one, though the drivers do support up to 80V:

PS-10N68 - 1000W 68V Power Supply - AnTek Products Corp

Downloads
    Uploads

True on all accounts. As long as the RPM isn't lower than 1000-1500 RPM, it will work well for what I need. Unless I completely re-design my whole machine, I don't think I will be maxing out the RPM at the moment.

The toroidal PSU I was going to get was this one:

PS-10N70 - 1000W 70V Power Supply - AnTek Products Corp

If you think I should tone it down to 68V, I can get this one, though the drivers do support up to 80V:

PS-10N68 - 1000W 68V Power Supply - AnTek Products Corp
    I have run the Dyna2 up to max voltage, but it is not a good Idea as if you get a surge and it goes over it is not worth the extra to do a repair, as long as the 70v Dc unit can be maintain the 70v supply then you won't have any problems

I have the same supplies and they run a little high, but that could be also my supply voltage is high also, so check your Ac supply voltage to see what you have

This is how I normally do the Dyna 2 Package

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommended Voltage for DYN4 Drives/Motors-hpim2916-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

How about ATO-BLDC-150030, this is 1.5 kW?