Upgrading to DMM - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading to DMM

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading to DMM

Here is a video of my Bridgeport running with DMM servos and drives, not a single fault yet

Last edited by legendboy; 11-29-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mactec,
    Have DMM made plugin for Mach4? So when mach4 released, ready to use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello Mactec,
    Have DMM made plugin for Mach4? So when mach4 released, ready to use.
    Mach 4 is already for sale, was released some time ago

You don't need a plugin to run the Dmm system, they will take Step/Dir output from any control, or analog +/- 10v, so if Mach 4 outputs Step/Dir you don't need a plugin,if the Breakout board you use has a onboard CPU then you would need a Plugin to suit that Breakout Board, Like the Smooth Stepper, & others like it

A good example of this is with what legendboy has done with Eding's CNC Control, the Dmm Drives connect direct to the Eding Breakout Board for Step/Dir control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You will need the parallel port plugin to run Mach 4 as the DMM breakout board still uses it ,the cost is extra and is 25.00 so it will cost 225.00 to use Mach 4.

Until Dmm comes up with a different B/O board with say a usb or ethernet com. port , there is a real limiting factor with the B/O board not enough I/O for any thing other than a basic system.

I have several systems running mill and lathe with up to 8 motors and the break out board has always been a limiting factor.

Downloads
    Uploads

This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but it seems to be an active thread.

I have a 14x40 lathe that is already CNC retrofit. The control went out so I'm looking to replace all the electronics. I've always thought the DMM product was good, so I want to give them a try but I'm concerned about one thing - the spindle is run by a standard 2.2kW motor but I have an encoder attached to it. Will the DMM breakout board be able to take that spindle encoder info and use it so that I can sync my threading operations?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you could use it with Mach 3 and use a single input pin to get a input pulse for Mach to read for threading but that is all,if you wanted to use a encoder and multiple channels then no .

You would have to go to a CSMIO-ENC Expansion Module for Threading (CSMIO/IP-S-A) and there control and use the new Dmm servo drivers with +10-10 signals to accomplish a total sync spindle with the carriage.

I looked into this last year but i would have to buy all new driver's and that was to costly,maybe for a new build then it would be ok and get a package deal from Dmm and then the control from Cismo and threading card .

This would be a sweet system for a reasonable price and i would then up grade Mach 3 to Mach 4 when the lathe package is finally done as it will have all the new rough and turn cycles available.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alright thanks for the response - I did see your thread on LinuxCNC forums. I thinking I'm leaning toward the Mesa cards and some other assortment of servos and LinuxCNC. The simplicity and cost of the DMM product is very attractive but I don't think it fits what I want from my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Alright thanks for the response - I did see your thread on LinuxCNC forums. I thinking I'm leaning toward the Mesa cards and some other assortment of servos and LinuxCNC. The simplicity and cost of the DMM product is very attractive but I don't think it fits what I want from my machine.
    Not sure what you mean, you don't think it fits what you want from your machine, If Dmm is not a fit then there is not a servo system that would be suitable, there new Drives & 16 Bit Encoders make them world class, there is not any other manufacture, that is close to what they have, the next step up from Dmm is Yaskawa, which is almost 4 times the price per unit, & they won't do any better job

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not sure what you mean, you don't think it fits what you want from your machine, If Dmm is not a fit then there is not a servo system that would be suitable, there new Drives & 16 Bit Encoders make them world class, there is not any other manufacture, that is close to what they have, the next step up from Dmm is Yaskawa, which is almost 4 times the price per unit, & they won't do any better job
    My perception is that the DMM system is mostly self-contained and tied strongly to Mach, so if I want expandability (encoder on the spindle or even possibly using a Fanuc servo for the spindle) or to use LinuxCNC I start to fight an uphill battle. If I am mistaken then great. I'm also referring to the Dyn2 drives because the Dyn3 drives are priced above surplus motors/drives from the other manufacturers.

Downloads
    Uploads

DMM make servo motors and servo drives, not motion controller. You can use any motion controller you want.
    I am using Eding CNC - PC based CNC control. I don't use a BOB because edingcnc uses all open collector IO.

For servo motor/drive combo you are not going to find anything even comparable to DMM products for ease of setup and performance.

Downloads
    Uploads

My perception is that the DMM system is mostly self-contained and tied strongly to Mach, so if I want expandability (encoder on the spindle or even possibly using a Fanuc servo for the spindle) or to use LinuxCNC I start to fight an uphill battle. If I am mistaken then great. I'm also referring to the Dyn2 drives because the Dyn3 drives are priced above surplus motors/drives from the other manufacturers.
    They work perfectly fine with any other control or computer operating system, Mach 3 does not support an Encoder , but has no problem with 1 to 3 index pulse's for spindle control, for lathe threading

Dmm is not married in any way to just Mach 3, There system works just as well with LinuxCNC, & any other control, you want to connect them to, they are just the same as any other good servo system, you just need a control that gives them a signal, either Step/Dir or analog +/- 10v

Check what this thread was all about, Legendboy was trying to set up another servo system, after some time gave up trying to tune them, brought the DMM system & with in a few days he was running, he is not using Mach3, but is using Eding CNC control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    DMM make servo motors and servo drives, not motion controller. You can use any motion controller you want.
    I am using Eding CNC - PC based CNC control. I don't use a BOB because edingcnc uses all open collector IO.

For servo motor/drive combo you are not going to find anything even comparable to DMM products for ease of setup and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They work perfectly fine with any other control or computer operating system, Mach 3 does not support an Encoder , but has no problem with 1 to 3 index pulse's for spindle control, for lathe threading

Dmm is not married in any way to just Mach 3, There system works just as well with LinuxCNC, & any other control, you want to connect them to, they are just the same as any other good servo system, you just need a control that gives them a signal, either Step/Dir or analog +/- 10v

Check what this thread was all about, Legendboy was trying to set up another servo system, after some time gave up trying to tune them, brought the DMM system & with in a few days he was running, he is not using Mach3, but is using Eding CNC control
    Thanks for the direction and patience - I went back and re-read the thread and I think I have a better idea of current products. It looks like the new Dyn2 drives can be sent +/-10v signals and therefore could be paired with the Mesa 5I25 and 7I77 and Linux CNC. Knowing that the DMM servos are at the top of my list again.

Some of my confusion may have come from emails with DMM Tech support back in early 2013 when I was specifically told the older Dyn2 drives were not compatible with LinuxCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some of my confusion may have come from emails with DMM Tech support back in early 2013 when I was specifically told the older Dyn2 drives were not compatible with LinuxCNC.
    There must of been some confusion, because even the old Dyna 2 Drives could be run with LinuxCNC, there are some Zone members that are using LinuxCNC with the old Dyna 2 Drives, it could of been how you wanted to control them, but the easiest set up is with Step/Dir, Even the old Dyna 2 Drives could use +/- 10v to control them, but the loop would be closed in the Drive, this may be where the confusion was with those Drives

So if you don't need to close the servo loop in the control,(which is more complicated to set up) then you can use any of them, any which way you want, with whatever control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Morning Mastec 54,

I'm converting my Bridgeport from my old Anilam and going to utilize the DMM 750K, Nema motors and drives, I also will have to extend my servo shaft length, do you have drawing on the half extension? Also where did you get your taper lock timing pulleys?

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seapacer2 View Post
    Good Morning Mastec 54,

I'm converting my Bridgeport from my old Anilam and going to utilize the DMM 750K, Nema motors and drives, I also will have to extend my servo shaft length, do you have drawing on the half extension? Also where did you get your taper lock timing pulleys?

Thanks,
    You should start a new thread as this is very old thread

What Bridgeport model machine do you have the extension is not needed on all conversions, also an offset timing pulley will also work for some models, they don't have a taper lock but makes it easy to fit, this company is quite good for Timing Pulleys

https://www.brecoflex.com/products/p...gn-guidelines/

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I used these same servos to convert my Bridgeport CNC ~5 years ago. Still going strong and they work great.

Misumi sells pullies with a large boss that will work with nearly no modifications to the mill. The only modification I remember is that for the Z axis I did need to take a little bit of material off the inside of the mount to create clearance for the boss. I did this with a die grinder. I went witth the smallest pulleys avaailable (IIRC they are 14 tooth) for all 3 axis's. I then ordered new belts to suit these pulleys and set the "gear ratio" in the drive such that all 3 axis's had the same steps per inch of travel. I did also need to make adapter plates (nmea 42-34), but I think these can also be purchased on ebay. There is no encumberment on the X and Y plates but the Z axis adapter plate needs to be as thin as possible. I made it out of .25" steel plate You could certainly also just drill and tap the cast iron and directly attached the motor to the mill without an adapter plate. Also Though I used 1 inch pulleys for all 3. IIRC you can use a .75" pulley for Z since it actually has a .75in belt (this is probably mill specific).

If you have a lathe, you could also buy a length of timing pulley stock (also available from misumi) and make pullies in any shape you desire. I think that this would actually have been more expensive than simply buying the pullies whch is why I didint do it.

This is the part I used: ATPN14H100-B-N14 from here: https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...PN14H100-B-N14

Other parts are certainly available that will also work.

Good Morning Mastec 54,

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mactec 54,

I know this is a old post, I tried sending you a PM but your mailbox is full on a shaft extensions for my DMM retrofit.

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mactec 54,

I know this is a old post, I tried sending you a PM but your mailbox is full on a shaft extensions for my DMM retrofit.

Thanks,
    Strange my inbox is fine

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Upgrading to DMM-img_5549-jpgUpgrading to DMM-img_5551-jpg

Z Axis Timing Gear

Upgrading to DMM-img_5552-jpgUpgrading to DMM-img_5553-jpg

X and Y Axis Timing Gears

Upgrading to DMM-img_5554-jpg

Z Axis Timing Belt

Upgrading to DMM-img_5555-jpg

X and Y Axis Timing Belt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading to DMM-img_5549-jpg   Upgrading to DMM-img_5551-jpg   Upgrading to DMM-img_5552-jpg   Upgrading to DMM-img_5553-jpg  

Upgrading to DMM-img_5554-jpg   Upgrading to DMM-img_5555-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Upgrading to DMM-img_5549-jpgUpgrading to DMM-img_5551-jpg

Z Axis Timing Gear

Upgrading to DMM-img_5552-jpgUpgrading to DMM-img_5553-jpg

X and Y Axis Timing Gears

Upgrading to DMM-img_5554-jpg

Z Axis Timing Belt

Upgrading to DMM-img_5555-jpg

X and Y Axis Timing Belt
    L type pitch profile and 1/2" wide not really ideal for that size machine and motors, where these being used at 2:1

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12