recommendation for quality but affordable plug connectors

Thread: recommendation for quality but affordable plug connectors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default recommendation for quality but affordable plug connectors

Need connectors for my machine to go from the gantry to the box. Something quality but that won't break the bank and that can handle the current needed for a 4.2A/phase steppers and 2.2kw spindle.

Preferably a 7-10 pin round connector that locks to the receptacle with a threaded ring like an aircraft connector.

Suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

CPC connectors avail from most suppliers.
    Plastic version of MS style.
    CPC Connectors Overview - TE
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that recommendation. I don't suppose there is a standard 7-pin connector that most folks are using? Those Amp catalogs are really complicated with their thousands of choices.

Downloads
    Uploads

You may find it easier to go to a supplier such as DigiKey and search CPC connector and select a 8 or 9 pin?
    208223-9 for e.g.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good tip and part number to get started...

Downloads
    Uploads

So if I go with the 208223-9 then it looks like I need to use something like a A1302-ND for a plug and then I still have to add the connectors on the ends of the wires plus a backshell to clamp the bundle? Sheesh. Isn't there something that comes with everything I need?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used Molex rectangular connectors in the past but prefer the cylindrical ones for this application since they're easier to take on and off and you don't have to make a square hole. Thanks for that link though.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 7 pin locking connectors I've seen are XLR microphone connectors. They are pretty heavy duty and easily available. I don't know what kind of driver you're using, but one of my more recent machine projects used a gecko G540 and it uses the standard DB9 pin serial connectors. I've since put those on a short lead on all of my motors (and other machine controller),(female clamshell at each motor, female panel mount on the case for each axis on the driver). You can buy them almost anywhere (in a panel mount for the controller or clamshell configuration for the cable at the motor end). Now I can just use the low cost male/male ready made cables like these at monoprice.com

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

These are only about $3.50 each for 25ft cables of pretty good quality. Makes it really simple to swap the controller to another machine, or move things etc. And, I haven't had any issues regarding interference or other issues. Do a search there and there are others and you can get them in other lengths. The female ends are available almost anywhere. This setup has worked great for me and proved simple, secure and low cost. I don't know about your spindle but you can also use them for limit switches etc. it's tough to find even simple cable for anywhere near this price of 15 cents a foot, much less with the connectors already factory molded on!
    Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited by coherent; 08-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great lead coherent, thanks!