New Machine Build One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!! - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I really like the water-ring effect, looks great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Both excellent pieces Grunblau. The water drop panel is very beautiful but I like the self draining tiles more. "Form follows function", that's my favourite expression for a design and the tiles do it for me

Downloads
    Uploads

great work one of my best cnc design i seen and i have seen allot, well here is my smaller version i made with the plans i purchase

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!-photo1-jpg   One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!-photo2-jpg   One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!-photo3-jpg   One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!-photo4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by agguilar View Post
    great work one of my best cnc design i seen and i have seen allot, well here is my smaller version i made with the plans i purchase
    Thank you very much for your comments! Is this the one you were working on before you purchased the plans? I was under the impression that you were sending out the CNCpart file for processing. It really does make the whole thing 'bolt together'

CNC Pattern Sheet

It also looks good in black.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes is the same one i send the plans you send me to AllRout CNC Routing Service. like you said but never got a email back ,so i m finishing the one i started, even so i just got a new machine., but i still want your machine so i hope some day i can make one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!-p90x-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using Nema 23's on the really nice looking machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, nema 23

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been getting emails asking about the cost breakdown of the build so I thought I would add it here...

The basic breakdown of my build was..

Between $1500-2000 to put the machine together. People have also built it for less. My breakdown includes things like black oxide finish nuts and bolts that you could easily source at Home Depot (plain zinc finish) for a lot cheaper.

Very basic, easy to remember breakdown is...

$500 for electronics,
    $400 for fasteners,
    $300 for leadscrews,
    $200 for MDF,
    $100 for misc stuff.

If you add up the bill of materials in my document set it comes to $1363.17 for a machine using the Gecko G540 driver and including all electronics. I say $1500 because the cost of the prints at Kinko's, cost of Polyurethane and brushes, etc... (misc)

(To have the MDF parts CNC cut by a shop generally runs about $400)

Software could be a major expense, but there are free options available.

hope this clears things up a bit....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to say Brian, you really inspired many of us on this build. Thank you for the great documentation, time to have taken to make it possible for us to build your design. By the way, what kind of fasteners did you use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_fl View Post
    I have to say Brian, you really inspired many of us on this build. Thank you for the great documentation, time to have taken to make it possible for us to build your design. By the way, what kind of fasteners did you use?
    Thank you very much for your comments! I used various fasteners and dowel nuts from McMaster Carr. Mostly 1/4-20. These are all enumerated on the BOM. The first bit of advice I give people that get the plans though, is to buy their fasteners locally and save some $. I went with black oxide from Mcmaster because I used their 3D part models to verify everything. The biggest benifit comes when you only need to buy 51 fasteners locally if you need 51. At McMaster, you have to buy 100. Not a huge deal, but it adds up.

Here is an X-ray of the gantry fasteners...

Fastener Xray, Grunblau DIY MDF CNC Fastener X-ray

Brian Oltrogge
    Grünblau Design Studio

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beautyful explode!
    BTW, did you know that those fasteners are really cheap on IKEA.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Beautyful explode!
    BTW, did you know that those fasteners are really cheap on IKEA.
    Can you provide a link? I looked on the IKEA site but couldnt find them anywhere.

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

All IKEA's have a spare parts shelve with all the nuts and bolts. Just go there or call them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!

Hi Grunblau Beautiful work. I do custom metal work - web site is Tuell and Reynolds | Metal Arts and Accessories I would love to discuss having you provide a modified wood raindrop pattern in wood to my shop to use as a sandcast pattern. Obviously would pay you for it. If interested let me know. Lovely work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    I guess complete at this point means 3-axis motion... My next plan is to use the machine to make itself better.

About a year ago I ran across BuildyourCNC.com after seeing a 'how to' on instructables.com. I used the fastening and rail techniques he describes there and found his video tutorials infinitely helpful. I began to lurk here and began designing my machine in Rhino.

Not only did I order the parts from Mcmaster Carr, but I found many of their digital models extremely helpful for designing using parts I didn't have yet...

I detailed the machine as much as a could digitally. Here is a shot of the Z axis exploded...

Then, I plotted the pieces 1:1 on Kinkos 40" plotter, spray mounted them to 3/4" MDF. At Home Depot I was able to get the stock cut into basic optimized shapes .

I used a friend's bandsaw to cut the parts out and began building...

If I did it over again, I would take many, many more pictures... These are taken when the basic form of the machine had taken shape.

It is almost impossible to get a good picture of the whole table.. The table surface is 98-1/2" X 43" this leaves maybe 18" on all sides of the machine. Since I could not go full 48"... I used the 6" rip to make the side ribs..

Here is a video showing the fluid motion of the 3 axis.. The stepper motor isn't attached at this point...

This is an image of the assembled Z axis...

After this point I broke the machine back down and polyurethaned all of the parts. I would hate to walk in there with a cup of coffee one morning and destroy the entire table with one bad step...

After reassembly and installing the lead screws, finishing up all of the motion components, and setting up the software I took it out for its first jog last night...

Then, the real test... lets "machine something"...

So far I am incredibly excited to get started using the machine... If I had any advice, it would be to start smaller I think. I have learned so much that it wouldn't take nearly as long next time. I started out with the idea if the whole thing failed, I would have a pretty sweet work table... or a base for a desktop shopbot etc... there is still quite a bit to do as far as cable management finding an appropriate space to machine in etc... I hope to have more information including pics of the transmission on the under side... as well as a basic accounting of everything. But I thought I'd make my first post and quit lurking so much!!

Brian
    This has been helpful in my CNC Journey

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456