Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor

Thread: Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor

Hi everyone, here looking to build a 4th axis for my cnc machine, has anyone used this type of system, the only way I can see to keep the chuck on the output shaft is used a screw, thoughts on it, thanks.
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...s22-2804s-hg50

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor

Hi,
    ideally you'd use the key and a matching keyway, but I think a screw would be OK.

The specs say that the lash is 1.6 degrees, which is quite high for a fourth axis. Additionally you are relying on the bearings in the gearbox to support the chuck.
    All-in-all that will very much limit the work you do to the lightest possible parts.

I have used an Atalanta Drives servo reducer. It has a lash of <2 arc min and a rated torque of 130Nm, and a max torque of over 400Nm, but its much bigger.
    For size comparison the chuck pictured is 100mm in diameter.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor-fourthaxis1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor

Hi,
    Thanks for the input, will have to keep looking then, will checked the drive you mention. Want to used this chuck which weights 12 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/125mm-Chuck-M...s%2C199&sr=8-5

Last edited by bigrock; 06-06-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    what size machine are you trying to fit it to?

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Machine size is 3 foot by 3 foot, I have an air cool spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    well my fourth axis is about 15kg....so probably to big for your machine. The worm drive, if I bought brand new is over $1000USD.
    I bought it off Ebay for much less than that.

I saw this one the other day, its the same size:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202301790898

Its still probably to big for what you want but at $149USD for a new old stock servo reducer of this quality is good buying.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Sir,
    I thank you, I will be mounting it on a 6" by 1" by 5' hollow section aluminum, which can be changed if it isn't adequate, I will looked to order it, better to have such a unit and know that it can work then to get something that I maybe a trial and error, will be cutting aluminum and wooden pieces, may have to get a nema 34 stepper motor to turn it instead of nema 23 which was in the original plans.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    from personal experience it is a very solid piece of gear. I have driven it with a 750w Delta B2 servo (pictured).

Originally I had a 23 size stepper on a 10:1 planetary to drive it, but that meant the fourth axis would only turn at 10 rpm. Many of my four axis toolpaths have many revolutions,
    hundreds at least, and they take forever at 10 rpm. With the servo, it does 3000rpm, so the fourth axis now does 150rpm, which is much better, but I sure don't want it to go any
    slower.

I'm building a fifth axis and it has a 6.75:1 reduction, <1 arc min lash, 70Nm (rated). It too has another 750W Delta B2 servo and can do 444rpm....so that a real step in the right
    direction for those long continuous rotation toolpaths.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor-fifthaxisprogress-jpg   Mounting of chuck to this type of planetary gearbox with stepper motor-fifthaxisprogress2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    The servo motor is outside of my budget, yes 10 rpm is abit in deed. Thumbs on machining the part to fit the box.