Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router

Thread: Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router

G'Day fellas!

I'm from Brisbane, Australia and new here in this forum.
    After reading some impressive build threads, I will take some inspiration from Jaynes build for my own attempt. I hope this is OK
    My plan is to build a machine capable of milling all sorts of wood and also aluminium while try to use only plywood for the design.
    The machine will be located in my workshop and is exposed to temperature and humidity. I will need to find a suitable wood stain treatment to prevent warping/shrinkage/expansion etc. Any tips?
    With the exception of a table saw and bench press, I only have very basic wood working tools like cordless drills and saws. No access to another CNC. So this will be a challenge!

Some facts:
    Budget $2000AUD ($1400USD)
    Plywood thicknesses used are 32mm and 15mm.
    Panel connections will mainly be angle brackets, bolts, wood glue and some other joining hardware used in furniture.
    Overall size is L1400mm x W1000mm and will be sitting on a sturdy table.
    2010 ball screws on X and Y and 1605 ball screws on Z. All in combination with HGR20 linear rails.
    Stepper motors Nema23 ~3NM powered by DM542T drivers and Mach3 USB breakout board.
    Not sure about the spindle yet but will start with a 500W brushless ER11 spindle - likely from AliExpress.
    Have a 3D printer on hand.
    The design will take place in SolidWorks 2021 and I'm already halfway finished - I think at least

Future plans are adding a 4th axis, and depending on how sturdy the machine is in the end, a 5th axis aka trunnion table.
    In the past I worked on 5 axis machining centers which I hope will come in useful while building my own machine.

How does this sound?

Cheers
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router

Hello everyone!
    I thought I'd share a first look at my model
    Obviously it isn't quite finished yet. Missing all holes, fasteners and finishing touches. Also, I think I want to modify the machine bed to be a torsion box instead of single ribs only (orange).
    Material is all plywood (32mm and 15mm) and a couple of 5mm spacers are PLA 3D printed.
    The spindle looks (and is) a bit small compared to all other dimensions, but I'm not too worried for now. Will likely add another spindle holder as it looks quite wobbly with just one.
    According to Solid Works Evaluation, overall weight is around 70kg with a plywood density of 575kg/m3.
    With all the fasteners added I think I'll hit the 100kg.

Open to any feedback!

Cheers
    Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Raised Y Axis Plywood CNC Router

Hello guys!
    Will be posting everything further on CNC Zone.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-c...cnc-forum.html