Building new and better Wood router... electronics help requested. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building new and better Wood router... electronics help requested.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building new and better Wood router... electronics help requested.

Hi,

That's getting to be an expensive Hobby...
    Yes it is. Expense need be put in perspective though.

as a ballpark consider:
    Mach4 Hobby license $200
    ESS motion controller $190
    Own built breakout board $100
    Ex Lease PC $300
    TOTAL $790.

I've been using this combination for seven years, and plan on doing so for some years yet, so lets say $100/year.

My new build mill, about a year old currently, cost about $20,000, in parts, materials , machining services etc. Lets assume I use it over twenty years,
    then the machine cost is something like $1000/year. It rather puts the Mach4Hobby/ESS/BoB/PC cost into second place.

The next question is software. I already use Fusion 360, and have done for several years. I'm not saying its the best, or the cheapest, but I do believe its the best
    value for money CAD/CAM solution available at $500/year. I use Fusion 360 daily for work purposes, so I have little concern that I make on the deal overall.
    Now I find myself questioning whether I will use 4th and potentially a 5th axis enough to justify another $1600/year. In researching the competing
    software I find that all those whom offer 4th and 5th axis are right up there in terms of price, so while I initially though $1600/year was exorbitant
    I have come to realise it is in fact competitive. So the question is whether I use it enough, and can make money with the Machining Extensions.

Autodesk have offered a generous discount, so I think I will try it. That will give me a year to establish whether its worth it or not.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Adam - If you want an economy one box G540 equivalent heres one. I've used three of these and they have been reliable and easy to set up. I use a UC100 with them....

https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-120...per-Motor.html Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Adam - If you want an economy one box G540 equivalent heres one. I've used three of these and they have been reliable and easy to set up. I use a UC100 with them....

https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-120...per-Motor.html Peter
    Many thanks for that Peter. I'm getting a little more comfortable with the UC100 and may go with another G540 since I already have some experience with it, but a 3rd project might also be looming for something like this unit.

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12