How is tool length setting with an atc supposed to work

Thread: How is tool length setting with an atc supposed to work

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How is tool length setting with an atc supposed to work

I have always just manually adjusted everything on my machine since most of my work is one off stuff.

I am trying to configure my machine to just accept a CAM file generated in fusion 360 with out spending a lot of time editing it.

The one problem I am having is that the tool height seems to be messed up when changing tools.

I use mach 4 and have the tool offsets set correctly. Settings:

# LENGTH OFFSET
    T1 1". 0
    T2 1.25" .25"
    T3 .75" -.25

My machine mills with the first tool correctly then when it switches to the second tool should the offset be applied automatically? Do I need to use G43? Something else?

What do I need to change as far as offsets when I change tools? Fusion just calls the new tool. How do I make sure when the tip of the tool is at the top of the workpiece is the same for all the different length tools?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: How is tool length setting with an atc supposed to work

I am new to CNC and F360, so apologies if this turns out to be irrelevant. Just to confirm you are using a licensed version with your ATC, as the free version has auto tool change disabled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    I am new to CNC and F360, so apologies if this turns out to be irrelevant. Just to confirm you are using a licensed version with your ATC, as the free version has auto tool change disabled.
    Yes my version is licensed. It is the hobby version. I don't do any commercial work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How is tool length setting with an atc supposed to work

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I have always just manually adjusted everything on my machine since most of my work is one off stuff.

I am trying to configure my machine to just accept a CAM file generated in fusion 360 with out spending a lot of time editing it.

The one problem I am having is that the tool height seems to be messed up when changing tools.

I use mach 4 and have the tool offsets set correctly. Settings:

# LENGTH OFFSET
    T1 1". 0
    T2 1.25" .25"
    T3 .75" -.25

My machine mills with the first tool correctly then when it switches to the second tool should the offset be applied automatically? Do I need to use G43? Something else?

What do I need to change as far as offsets when I change tools? Fusion just calls the new tool. How do I make sure when the tip of the tool is at the top of the workpiece is the same for all the different length tools?
    Nothing changes a tool offset call G43 applies to each tool no matter what control you use a cam system does not know anything about your machine and where the Z Axis position is related to the work, you still have to set the tools in the control Offset page, using G43 in (Cam) for each tool, if your work height and tools do not change then you can use the same setup for other jobs

Mactec54