DIY Vacuum Box Question

Thread: DIY Vacuum Box Question

Default DIY Vacuum Box Question

Hi all, newbie here - so many forums, not sure I'm posting this in the right place...

I'm getting my first CNC, and need to build a vacuum hold down system for some small scale production work, mainly cutting thin acrylic sheet. I've been researching for a while now, and bought two vacuum motors to build a DIY system. Hold down will only be 24"x48". Many of the designs I've seen include enclosing the vacuum motors in a box, but I've also seen some versions that simply have the motors mounted out in the open. Is enclosing them in a box really necessary? Is it for sound, or fire safety, or? Most of what I read is about getting fresh air to the motors and keeping them cool, which would suggest not enclosing them in a box would be ideal? I will be be able to pass my dust collection and vacuum hold down pipes through a wall, and house the loud motors in a sort of open loft space, outside my work area, so noise is less of a concern. Trying to keep things simple, if possible. I've seen a couple posts mention the Gary Campbell DIY design, but I can't seem to locate the original thread for that vacuum box, or any plans for it. Looking for a little tutelage - thanks so much for the help.

Best, Peter

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Vacuum Box Question

Did a quick look and the Gary Campbell system looks to be just for noise, while allowing a large flow of air for cooling. If you are going to put them in a different room I would just let them run in the open.

I have use my shop vac for a hold down in the past. and the noise gets pretty annoying even with headphones on.

Downloads
    Uploads

've seen a couple posts mention the Gary Campbell DIY design, but I can't seem to locate the original thread for that vacuum box, or any plans for it. Looking for a little tutelage
    It's on ShopBot's forum.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got done building myself a DIY vac pump setup actually. It's based off of various other DIY reports on forums and YouTube.I used 4 of the Ametek 122178-18 motors as they don't require "make up air" or a small air bypass to let the motor s cool themselves. They also seem to be a bit more robust with longer bearing brushes as well. With just 2 of them on for 2 - 2'x4' zones I saw 8.5 InHg which I was really happy with! Willing to share plans if anyone would like.

I built an enclosure with a baffle system as I had to have this mounted right next to the router and couldn't remote locate; though aside from a metal box I could only see the enclosure adding to the fire possibility. lol. I think the enclosure is nice as well to just have a complete box system with all enclosed wiring and its just tidy
    That being said I don't see how it would be a necessity to have a full enclosure and one gentleman on YouTube did just that.

My baffle system seemed to take the sharp "ring" or note out of the sound I was familiar with from a Storm Vac on a Camaster router I had.

I'm doing similar work to the OP with Polycarb and HDPE starboard and the vac motors through a 1/4 or 3/4in HDPE sheet works fantastic!

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

DIY Vacuum Box Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I really appreciate you sharing your vac box build. We are going to build one just like yours.
    We will be cutting 1/4" HDPE Starboard smaller parts.
    Question---The Starboard has some texture --Does your vac-set-up table work well in holding down the textured HDPE Starboard? You mentioned your are cutting HDPE Starboard.
    Thank You,
    Trent
    trentwarden@yahoo.com