Build Thread Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making. - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.

That makes sense Peter, I am not concerned about the friction - the machine just doesn't skate around like some that you see in videos

A question for you Peter - what effect will me splitting my bed plate (intended 20mm steel covering the area reaching where my spindle can, with 16mm plate covering the rest, to provide clamping outside the cuttable area) into two smaller plates laid side by side? if I dont split them, I imagine the bed plate becomes uncomfortable to manhandle, but if its two strips it will be ok... How much stiffness will I sacrifice by splitting the membrane?

Build thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/429232-forum.html#post2496634

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.

Hi Luke - I imagine you will put the spilt over the central transverse beam? If so not much. The main thing here is the plunging loads pushing the bed down. The beam is doing the resisting in this case.
    The XY loads are in-plane to the base so the split does not impact XY deflections much. Making parts for handling is always an issue. I try to limit weight to <50kg for any part.... If the supplier can provide very flat plates maybe 2x10mm thick plates is the go? or use aluminium? Peter

Luke why not start with plywood as the base? A first piece that is levelled as best as possible then a second piece that is levelled with the machine? This becomes your waste board? You describe your machine as a router a 20mm thick steel base is incredible heavy and won't be flat or level? What do you want to do with this machine? I think the 20mm steel base is over-overkill?

Or start with 12mm steel plate plus thick waste board and see how it goes?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-split-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 08-04-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did intend to split the plate lengthways, not in the cross machine direction, each half plate making contact with all three base supports.

I know the name says router, but I am tentatively hopeful that it will cut steel well enough to level its own bed, and drill and tap it also (the servo should have adequate torque for rigid tapping m10's, but it will require some playing to make that work in mach, and eventually linxcnc). I built a machine for my project supervisor shortly after uni based on a 20mm steel base plate and I really like having the weight lower in the assembly, and it is also going to act as cross bracing (which is conspicuous in its absence).

I will be mostly cutting Ali parts and perhaps the occasional guitar. The machine wont be much less rigid than a hobby sized mill, so I live in perpetual hope that I will be able to cut ferrous metal with it also, albeit slowly... It may be a pipe dream, the moving gantry architecture definitely has weaknesses, but I am going to remain hopeful until proven foolish

Build thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/429232-forum.html#post2496634

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.

Some more gentle progress...

I got the x axis drive plates drilled and tapped and mounted.

I was initially unable to drill the plate, brand new bit, changed to a old bit, various lubes... would not go beyond 1mm of depth... I was properly bewildered, but eventually determined I had left the depth stop engaged from when I drilled the blind holes on the edge of the ground plates

The drive plates are 12mm steel like the gantry interface plates (which should probably have been 16mm).

I am going to visit the folks this weekend, so no work will be done, but next up is to check the offset of the drive plate is correct for the ball screw height (it should be, but will shim as required), and go through the ball screw mounting procedure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Images apparently decided to not be attached to the last post:
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-left-jpg
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-right-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-right-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-left-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening all.

Some more time on the machine, some more school fees have been paid...

Perhaps I was going on a little late when I drew the part, or perhaps I simply cant read an engineering drawing, but I dimensioned the hole spacing on my 20mm ballnut housing incorrectly - 44mm instead of the correct 48mm c-c. I learned of this when I tried to bolt the housings onto the drive plates, and couldn't. I had to slot the bottom holes to allow the extended reach. I went back to the drawing that the Chinese seller gave me, hoping to find an error on their part - but alas, the 48 was nice and clear in the dim table...
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-school-fees-jpg

The process was as follows - rotate screw until on the ACB end (BK15), shim and clamp the bearing housing, rotate screw until at the free end (BF15), clamp. Transfer holes.
    The left side required shimming on the drive plate, the right side required shimming on the bearing housings. I used a feeler gauge to determine shim thickness.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-clamped-jpg Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-shims-left-jpg

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-shim-jpg

Holes transferred acceptably, In a perfect world, I would not have had to machine the tops of the c channel, and the holes would have been on the marks...
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-marks-jpg Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-marks-smaller-jpg

Pretty bits and pieces starting to be added to the ugly fabrications...
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-happy-little-parts-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-shims-left-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-school-fees-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-marks-smaller-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-marks-jpg  

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-clamped-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-happy-little-parts-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-shim-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I had another impromptu day off work today as a result of civil unrest. Hoping to get some great work done, I kitted up for a garage day, but alas, the electricity was off. Welcome to Africa.

I did some garage admin, and labelled my thingamajig drawers.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-bits-jpg

Power came on again around 12, so I got to work on the last bits and pieces that need to get out the way before stripping and painting.

Drilled and tapped the ball screw mounting holes

Mounted ball screws - check for tough spots and binds, there are none.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-screws-jpg

Welded the motor mount components together.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-motor-broken-jpg Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-motor-together-2-jpg

Rough mounted the motors and marked for mounting holes

Drilled and tapped the mounting holes M6. I did this with a hand drill, pushing horizontally - on the x axis the holes went into a fillet weld, and me being too lazy to put the beams onto the drill press, I broke a couple drill bits. Then I broke 2 out of 3 of my m6 taps. Tapping horizontally is silly, at least with my dexterity. I managed to get the broken taps out in both cases, saving the threads - just one of the cautionary points born of my laziness.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-x-motor-jpg
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-y-motor-jpg

I mounted the y axis rails, ball screw, and saddle. All the working faces in this component were CNC machined, and it shows - everything fit exactly right, with no tweaking or shimming required - it was the most pleasant experience of the build so far.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-y-axis-jpg

Went through the motor mounting steps for the y axis also - no surprises there.

Z axis rails fit correctly I was dreading checking their fit after the x axis debacle, but they were as drawn.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-z-jpg

As it stands, I now need to make no changes to the metalwork on the entire machine. Fabrication is complete to the point that when its all bolted together, it will be as the drawing intended. One thing I want to re-iterate. Using dowel pins for component setup (resting the component against the pins) is a really convenient way of getting things nicely lined up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-motor-together-2-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-motor-broken-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-bits-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-screws-jpg  

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-x-motor-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-y-motor-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-y-axis-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-z-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have cleaned up the garage to the point where painting will be OK, and got some new respirator cartridges etc.

One thing I have not added to the model is limit switches and various other attachment mountings. Before I paint I think I will add some simple tapped hole patterns in areas I am likely to mount things so I have somewhere to add stuff later without having to strip the machine for more machining.

I mounted my rails and screws on some timber for safekeeping while the paint is flying, they are living in my study, the Mrs is not super stoked by that...
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-rail-storage-png

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-rail-storage-png  

"I mounted my rails and screws on some timber for safekeeping while the paint is flying, they are living in my study, the Mrs is not super stoked by that..."

On the bright side they are not in the living room or bedroom...lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LorenBMS View Post
    On the bright side they are not in the living room or bedroom...lol
    It wouldn't be the first time

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by luke peter View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time
    Should see all my soldering gear all over the kitchen table then!.
    Even rigged a telly in front so I can watch a few movies as I go.
    Let's just say the Mrs is on one after it being there about a month.

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve's model has limit switches now... Its the kind of detail I often forget to add to the machine model, and then have to fudge onto the machine at a later date. I figured I would give future Luke a hand for once.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-1-jpg Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-2-jpg
    The brackets for the limits are going to be 3d printed, the switches themselves are little 8mm inductive proxies. I am not sure how well they will function as I haven't tested them yet, but here's to being hopeful.

In order to print the brackets, I needed to replace my old part cooling duct on the printer as its mounting holes were barely holding on - The grey one (the old one) was meant as a temporary part to be replaced almost immediately, and its been on the machine for 8 years

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-old-fan-jpg

The new duct allows better access to the hot end, and it is more robustly mounted. Its been a while since I needed to loft and shell solid models, so there was some relearning to be done to get this right, along with uncomfortable on the machine measuring for duct outlet placement.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-new-fan-1-jpg
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-new-fan-2-jpg

The brackets after 6 hours of printing... one has become the forbidden spaghetti - it will need a reprint.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-spaghetti-limit-brackets-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-1-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-2-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-old-fan-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-new-fan-1-jpg  

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-new-fan-2-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-spaghetti-limit-brackets-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luke,

The little details can make a big difference down the track. Future Luke is thanking you. And I thank you for reminding me to finish modelling limit switches on my machine, so far only the Z axis switch is modelled.

A 3D printer is such a handy device to have, you are pretty much only limited by your imagination.

- Jayne -

Think about having the sensor tripped by material passing 90 degrees to the axis of the sensor vs. material coming at the sensor axially. It makes things a little more forgiving than material crashing into the sensor if traveling faster than the sensor and control can react. Don't ask me how I know....lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LorenBMS View Post
    Think about having the sensor tripped by material passing 90 degrees to the axis of the sensor vs. material coming at the sensor axially. It makes things a little more forgiving than material crashing into the sensor if traveling faster than the sensor and control can react. Don't ask me how I know....lol
    That makes lots of sense. If my trigger distance is too small I will change the arrangement, my clunky steel beast wont be breaking any speed records with 5mm pitch screws and open loop stepper control though

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally dragged myself into the garage again to get the final holes drilled and tapped last night. It took longer to model and produce drawings than it did to do the actual work, but its done now, and tonight I will start paint prep.

The printer is behaving itself, new part cooling duct functions with no concerns.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-printed-parts-jpg

I did not specifically account for the pockets when I planed the limit positions, so it was a blessing that they fit. The parts that will hold the proxies have a M8 nut dropped in from the top, which the proxy screws into, and the lock nuts close from either side. I intend to use the head of a M6 cap screw for strikers where the proxies are not picking up off the machine plates, I am not sure how well they will do with the socket being in the center of detection diameter, I will change to a little slice of steel round bar glued in if the cap screw does not work, and then change orientation as per Loren's suggestion if I dont have reliable triggering.

Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-11-jpg
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-end-plate-tapping-jpg
    Its much easier doing this kind of end on drilling with the parts not on the machine - I am glad I got them done before painting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-end-plate-tapping-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-limit-11-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-printed-parts-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Starting with paint now...

Guess how I know residual marking blue makes its way through 2k epoxy primer...?
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-paint-begins-jpg

Looking for input now - bed design. Two 10mm thick steel plates, top one is represents the center point usable travel (I can squeeze a couple extra mm if I need to, and depending on the success of the fly cutter tests, I could get more machined flatness by virtue of tool diameter if I want)

I intend to do the below:
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-beds-jpg

Ideally, I will drill and tap a hole pattern in the bottom plate, likely m10, and then drill and ream the top plate 12mm in the same pattern - this will let me use hold down clamps like normal, and also dowels for easy stock alignment for multiple setups.

What spacing should I use? The metric man in me says 50 or 100 mm... subsequent rows staggered. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-beds-jpg   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-paint-begins-jpg  
    Last edited by luke peter; 08-28-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

more paint... I do not like it Sam-I-Am.
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-paint-jpg

Almost done with the undercoat - one more evening I reckon. Then black enamel on top.

Flex trunking and cable arrived today. I have been doodling circuit diagrams and sourcing connectors etc. Its a simple little elec build, but I will still run things past you folks as I progress.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-paint-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OK time for me to learn...

Questions for the clever sparky people around:

EMI control:
    Do I need to put EMI filters on the individual incoming lines to each PSU, or will one to the VSD be sufficient? one on the main incomer?
    Do I need ferrite clips on my motor cables? (shielded 4 core)
    Do I need ferrite clips on my limit cables? (shielded 3 core)

Can I run my high speed spindle cable (also shielded), inside the same cable chain as the rest of the kit?

Do I need to cage my VSD?

Protection:
    Where do I need to put the fuses? mains incomer, and before each 220v component?

Circuits diagrams are an abomination - besides a doodle on piece of scrap paper I don't do elec drawings... But I believe they illustrate what I intend
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-circuit-2-png
    Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-circuit-3-png

I have limited outputs on the cheap mach 3 board, I have 3 available for relays - one will be spindle start stop, one will be coolant, and I am hoping to find a creative way to use the third output to switch the servo spindle from -10 to 10v to step and direction control for tapping (lots of stuff to get working here)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-circuit-2-png   Reasonably Rigid Router (RRR) - a cautionary tale (likely) in the making.-circuit-3-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Do I need to put EMI filters on the individual incoming lines to each PSU, or will one to the VSD be sufficient? one on the main incomer?
    I would put one at the input of the VFD, largely in an attempt to prevent noise from the VFD feeding back into the AC supply, which could in turn create noise
    at the output of your 65V and 24V supplies. I would feed all of those 'sensitive' supplies, including the PC from one AC source with another line filter preceeding them.
    Any noise from the VFD input would have to make out past its line filter and then past the line filter for all those sensitive supplies.

It would be nice to have a line filter for each, but two stage line filters get expensive once you start buying several. Two should provide adequate primary side
    noise suppression without breaking the bank.

Do I need ferrite clips on my motor cables? (shielded 4 core)
    No. Ferrite rings provide nice high frequency and radio frequency suppression but very little down in the range of kHz where you'd expect motor switching currents
    to be. In fact if the ferrite ring DID suppress noise that noise energy would have to be dissipated in the ring and it would get hot....and that's not what happens.
    Shielding will help contained radiated electromagnetic energy but ferrite rings will help little.

Do I need ferrite clips on my limit cables? (shielded 3 core)
    Yes, very useful. A cable is a bit like an antenna, the longer the cable the more electromagnetic energy it will collect. Putting ferrite rings at various lengths
    down the cable breaks the 'antenna' into shorter lengths, and therefore less prone to collecting electromagnetic noise. Careful shielding will also reduce the
    propensity to gather noise.

Can I run my high speed spindle cable (also shielded), inside the same cable chain as the rest of the kit?
    You can try, and it certainly makes for a tidy installation to have all cables in the one chain....however separating the noise sensitive cables (limits, homes) from the
    noise producing cable (VFD to spindle) is a very VERY good way to reduce noise problems.

My VFD cable is not screened and provided I route it two feet or so away from any of the other cables, also unshielded, I don't have any problems. Woe betide you if you
    lay unshielded cables next to each other, electrical crosstalk is inevitable.

Do I need to cage my VSD?
    No, should not be necessary.

I see no one has mentioned the impedance level of the noise sensitive circuits. If you chose the levels wisely you can make noise induced false triggers largely
    disappear. You cannot prevent electromagnetic interference completely but you can make your circuits resistant to noise effects by choosing impedance,
    similar to resistance, of the circuits. You may have seen written that 24V circuits resists noise better than 5V circuits....its not true. If you choose the impedance levels
    correctly they have identical noise performance.

In my machine I have made all my 24V circuits about 5 kOhm and any 5V circuits 200 Ohm as that results in identical and highly noise resistant circuits.

Where do I need to put the fuses? mains incomer, and before each 220v component?
    Broadly speaking yes, before each component. The main one to worry about is the VFD, it will draw many MANY times the power of all the others combined.
    A good motor rated (sometimes called 'D' curve ) breaker is highly recommended. Ordinary 'C' curve breakers, being a little cheaper and easier to find, would be
    fine for all the rest, but a motor rated breaker for the VFD is a must.

What motion controller are you using? Why have you condensed all your limits down to one input? Does your controller not have enough spare inputs?
    I have six limit switches (two per axis), and three home switches, so nine switches in all, and each and every one of them has its own dedicated input on my
    motion controller. No confusion about which limit or which home activates.......pure luxury.

Craig

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast