What are your thoughts on aluminum table vs MDF

Thread: What are your thoughts on aluminum table vs MDF

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What are your thoughts on aluminum table vs MDF

My machine started life as an AXYZ millennium. And it came with a table made from extruded aluminum with slots in it. It's ~3/4" thick.

I have always laid a piece of MDF over it so I do not mar the table. This has always been an extra step. So I was thinking why not just replace the table with a sheet of MDF, I can mill the slots right in the table. I have ~6.5" of Z height, and for the stuff I do the extra thickness of the MDF on top of the aluminum doesn't make a difference.

So I'm curious what you all think. Would you keep laying a piece of MDF over a slotted aluminum table? Or would you just replace the table with MDF?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What are your thoughts on aluminum table vs MDF

I would keep the aluminum table while continuing to mount a sacrificial spoilboard to its surface and replace that once worn out.

John Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Mr. JohnZ.

My current plan is to purchase a 1" thick sheet of MDF and use it as the primary bed of the table. It will more or less be permanent.
    On top of that, I will be placing some t-track with 3" or 4" stripes of 3/4" MDF for spacers between them.
    These will be run lengthwise on the long axis.

My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the table made from a series of interlocking hollow extrusions?If it is,it could work as an integral part of a vacuum workholding system as that is one of the options from AXYZ.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the table made from a series of interlocking hollow extrusions?If it is,it could work as an integral part of a vacuum workholding system as that is one of the options from AXYZ.
    Yes it is, It actually has the plumbing etc for a vacuum system, unfortunately the plumbing is damaged (The aluminum extrusions are
    fine). I need to find the part that couples from PVC pipe to the extrusions, AXYZ no longer sells it.

I don't use vacuum that often, so the few times I've needed it I just have used a shop vac and a custom platen.

Because of that I've never bought a vacuum pump. I figure if it becomes something I need I'll buy a vacuum pump and 3d print the coupling

Downloads
    Uploads

I have an older axyz unit. Had and extruded aluminum vacuum bed. I want to say each extrusion is about 8" wide 3/4 thick and 10 feet long. They have a zillion little pin holes. There was a plenum that attached them to my pump. Pretty much full table vacuum with no zones. Constantly had my spoil board tater chip on me. Got rid of that mess and made a 4 chamber unit out of 1" mdf. I run a 1" ultra light for a spoil. Works way better and I use 9) 1/4-20 through bolts to secures the spoil to the lower board so no tater chip action. I used a 9" nap roller and spread wood glue on plenum or lower piece to avoid leaks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a pic of my mdf plenum. I still have my aluminum extruded unit stashed in an out building...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are your thoughts on aluminum table vs MDF-resized_20211007_092136-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So I'm curious what you all think. Would you keep laying a piece of MDF over a slotted aluminum table? Or would you just replace the table with MDF?
    The difference between MDF and 3/4" aluminium is a bit like the difference between putty and concrete.
    I would keep the aluminium table and keep putting a spoilboard on top of it.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    The difference between MDF and 3/4" aluminium is a bit like the difference between putty and concrete.

Cheers
    Roger
    copy that-
    I had to reinforce my frame with lots more cross pieces and anchors into the plenum..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post

Cheers
    Roger
    Me too!