Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?

Thread: Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?

Ive seen a few on the market, even batt powered ones. Asking if anyone has built a small cnc router and used a single phase router trimmer for the spindle and had success? I was just looking at one, 30000rpm, 8mm collet, about a 65mm dia body. on/off sw ha.

I am building a mini machine that will be portable so ideally something that can be plugged into a single ph supply would be ideal for me. I could use a VFD and proper spindle but yeh, just another box to carry. It doesn't need to have a lot of power small bites is good but I do need to go deep, deep into my timber piece possibly up to 140mm.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?

Hi Boy - Many people use trimmer routers for their machines. I have used a Makita RT0700 for years (is this what you meant?) Then went to a 500W DC spindle now have a 600W DC spindle. These are so much quieter then a trimmer. I'd recommend a DC unit over a trimmer and they are same or less cost. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-switch-jpg   Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-makita-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi thats it. A DC spindle? I didnt realise they were so popular. The 230v one I looked at today was nice and heavy. I am only concerned that it might be underpowered? That problem is solved with small bites. My other issue is length of endmill. I am going to be looking at using an 8mm 200mm long custom type. That will be putting the bearings under a lot of stress.

Out of interest this attached is an endmill I have tried out on timber. I really put it through its paces on hardwood and it was pretty good tbh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-wood-endmill-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Boydage -The makita is 700W 23000rpm and I did stall it a couple of times when I asked too much of it. Big bites. The 600W seems to be good. The DC spindles also have more nose sticking out then the trimmers which is good as I do deep bowls and moulds. The trimmers have locking devices and things at the nose that can interfere with fittings and the job if your not careful... Research the DC spindles worth a try...Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

There are also lots of examples of machines using the little Bosch trimming router but that too is some way from quiet.On the other hand they are not that expensive and very portable.I would think that any prospect of going 140mm into a piece with any of them is unlikely for two reasons;first the geometry of the spindle and tool tip will limit the kind of surface you can get close to.The analogy I use is that its like the approach angle on a 4WD vehicle where the structure prevents the rotating part from getting too close.Second,the bearings in a little trim router won't be likely to live too long even if you can find a super length tool due to the leverage that will be exerted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that. At the price I have seen I will be able to have a play around. Sorry I didn't understand the analogy I am looking at pocketing down to 140mm deep, and this is quietly plunging in from the side.

My concern too was bearings. The solution to this in my headspace is to incorporate a support bearing that the endmill will be able to slide in and out of, attached to the axis so it moves with the spindle. And then actually increase the length of the custom endmill so there is not a large moment acting on the lateral side of the spindle. Keeping everything nicely balanced will be key. I was wondering whether to use a ceremic bearing for the support.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Boydage - I wouldn't bother with extra supports that will interfere with the work. That sort of cut is going to be light. I used a Makita for over 700hrs very heavily wore out the brushes and the bearings felt fine,. Put in new brushes and off it went again. Changing the bearings is no big deal if and when needed. Long tools are a worry if they get out of balance I have a 125mm long 8mm tool for cutting foam and it has to be snugged up nicely in a clean collet otherwise its scary!! Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    Thanks for that. At the price I have seen I will be able to have a play around. Sorry I didn't understand the analogy I am looking at pocketing down to 140mm deep, and this is quietly plunging in from the side.

My concern too was bearings. The solution to this in my headspace is to incorporate a support bearing that the endmill will be able to slide in and out of, attached to the axis so it moves with the spindle. And then actually increase the length of the custom endmill so there is not a large moment acting on the lateral side of the spindle. Keeping everything nicely balanced will be key. I was wondering whether to use a ceremic bearing for the support.

I hope the attached image conveys the idea better than my description.If the tool is very long it does help.I have used up to 135mm of projecting tool (12mm dia) on epoxy tooling block and it was perfectly ok but the machine was very large and substantial.For a small trimmer and a wooden workpiece I would have concerns for the longevity of the whole system.It won't be likely to give too much trouble with occasional use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-limitations-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, ok, I know what you mean now - we were speaking the same language. I have thought about it a lot, and am going to build a sliding support although plan to give it enough room in order not to get in the way. But will also utilise it as an evacuation port as its going to be right there.

I am thinking I will highly likely go for a more powerful option for a spindle. I like the little trimmers but would also like to maintain some power in reserve. A 12mm or 10mm very long endmill I have managed to get custom made by a Chinese manufacturer who has made some very nice 3 flute mills I use for finishing.

Hey Peeteng I think I am going to end up with a endmill about or approx 240mm long. Obviously going into timber is so easy but yeh I think I should support it. It will take a bit of good engineering design to get it to balance and function well but thats what hobbies are for huh?

I have attached a screenshot of my project/build. Its different and built for a small job I need to do about 4-5 times a year. But I hate it (the job) and this is a much better way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-samplemachine-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Boydage - Be careful driving a 4 post slide from one side. Stick slip will jam it. Use ball type bearings. Plain bearings will jam... just like an F clamp jams. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Appreciate that Peter. Yeh I did consider whether I might have to go with 2 Nema motors if it looks that way. They are linear bearings running on hardened steel posts and I have made it as stiff as possible (within reason) to avoid that hopefully. The actual platform the spindle will mount too is not close to final yet. More drawing and thinking and drawing and erasing and drawing ha

I am interested in how the first test will go though. I have manufactured everything myself on my own manufactured equipment right down to the bushes and Nema mounts. Although I bought generic linear rails and bearings - cant complete with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    I think I am going to end up with a endmill about or approx 240mm long.
    That will be like trying to cut with spaghetti.

Downloads
    Uploads

Spaghetti. I'm not sure if you are saying the Spaghetti in your country is really hard, or that your endmills are crap? Ha

Balanced. A bearing support at the right placement. Correct programming. It will work I would put money on it...... not a lot for the first run/prototype but all the same it will work with timber though lol

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps I am misunderstanding. Are you intending to cut with an 8mm dia endmill 240mm long mounted in a laminate trimmer ? If so, I can't wait to see the video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps. Have you read the whole post? I do plan to have a very long endmill made. Supported with additional bearings to limit the lateral loads. Ya know, I'm not going into this without design and consideration. But probably or possibly not. I am considering options. But it doesn't need a lot of power, needs to be light so.....

It's always good to take constructive advice. I was more curious as to the torque those little trimmers are capable of. Having a 4.5kw spindle on my home machine I don't experience lack of power. B

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Funny how our phones or cookies or whatever it is thats tracking me come up with things. I found this https://www.woodpeck.com/spinrite-router-motor.html on a news feed on my phone. It looks heavy enough to do the job and I can actually use a larger diameter endmill. Although for the job I am looking to do its very fine so will need to think more.

I do wonder how you guys with 110v get on with these higher powered 1 phase tools? 3.25HP whats that....... 2424w? Amps will be popping breakers all over the show huh? Anyway. I do like it and will see if I can get a 230v model.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny how our phones or cookies or whatever it is thats tracking me come up with things. I found this https://www.woodpeck.com/spinrite-router-motor.html on a news feed on my phone. It looks heavy enough to do the job and I can actually use a larger diameter endmill. Although for the job I am looking to do its very fine so will need to think more.

I do wonder how you guys with 110v get on with these higher powered 1 phase tools? 3.25HP whats that....... 2424w? Amps will be popping breakers all over the show huh? Anyway. I do like it and will see if I can get a 230v model.

- - - Updated - - -

Downloads
    Uploads

This one is up for comment re my 240mm long endmill. I am planning on running it through this bushing assy which is approx 80mm long in total. This will support the lateral loads off the spindle and enable the endmill to travel.

Sorry for the pic but its a section view with the blue outside housing, the red being 8*18*10mm lip seals, the grey being 12*18*8mm spindle bearings with the yellow being a 8.1*12*18*2mm bush between the bearings.

The plan is to have the endmill be able to slide up and down through this assembly. I am going to use acetyl for the bush with a 8.15mm hole in it and it will rotate with the endmill supported by the bearings. The end of this bush will sit about 30mm above the work being cut. Good solid feedback on this would be appreciated. It will be interesting to see how it all goes - hopefully it wont vibrate the whole thing apart.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone used one of those little 500w trimmers as a spindle?-shaft-bush-jpg