working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

Thread: working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

having my plates sent of to be milled and drilled so i really dont want to make any mistakes here. so if i go of the bk12 ballscrew support here then the hole diameter according to the spec sheet is 6.6mm so then when adding tapped holes in cad (solidworks) and i select m8 tapped hole it gives me 6.8mm not 6.6mm is this correct or should i manually change the m8 from 6.8 to 6.6mm?

hope im making sense here

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: working with real world tapped holes vs cad drawings

Hi Reefy - what thread pitch? If its course metric then an M8 is 1.25mm pitch. This gives a nominal pilot hole of 8-1.25= 6.75mm Also is your file set at 0.01mm ? If set at 0.1mm it maybe rounding up the pilot dia. Another tap chart says 6.7mm another says 6.8mm. All work if into steel go the big size if in aluminium go the small size. Peter

https://parts-badger.com/drill-tap-referencing/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Reefy - what thread pitch? If its course metric then an M8 is 1.25mm pitch. This gives a nominal pilot hole of 8-1.25= 6.75mm Also is your file set at 0.01mm ? If set at 0.1mm it maybe rounding up the pilot dia. Another tap chart says 6.7mm another says 6.8mm. All work if into steel go the big size if in aluminium go the small size. Peter

https://parts-badger.com/drill-tap-referencing/
    Hi sorry for being dumb here but how to I find out if its set to 0.01 or 0.1mm in the file? All I do in solidworks is go to hole wizard change type to tapped hole and size to m8 that's it. It's aluminium I'm using so if the BK12 support is asking for 6.6mm what would you guys set the tapped hole as if it was you? Again sorry for sounding dumb

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    having my plates sent of to be milled and drilled so i really dont want to make any mistakes here. so if i go of the bk12 ballscrew support here then the hole diameter according to the spec sheet is 6.6mm so then when adding tapped holes in cad (solidworks) and i select m8 tapped hole it gives me 6.8mm not 6.6mm is this correct or should i manually change the m8 from 6.8 to 6.6mm?

hope im making sense here
    Would have to see the Support drawing, they normally have clearance holes for SHCS 6.6mm would mean that is for a 6mm SHCS so your taped hole size would be a max of 5 mm for 6mm Capscrew

Last edited by mactec54; 09-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Hi sorry for being dumb here but how to I find out if its set to 0.01 or 0.1mm in the file? All I do in solidworks is go to hole wizard change type to tapped hole and size to m8 that's it. It's aluminium I'm using so if the BK12 support is asking for 6.6mm what would you guys set the tapped hole as if it was you? Again sorry for sounding dumb
    Do you have the Support Housing you would be best to use 1/4-20 UNC cap-screws ( Should fit and still have some clearance ) this would need a .200 Holes Tap size holes, for this cap-screw, as 6mm cap screws are not as good in Aluminum

Mactec54