Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 LastLast

Thread: My CNC Router Build Adventure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My CNC Router Build Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Here are some drill fixture Ideas, if you have the need to make any
    Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Morning Jayne - Here's some good manuals on bolts.

https://www.westcoastfasteners.com.a...20Handbook.pdf

Unbrako Engineering Guide

enjoy Peter
    Thank you both for the links, that is great information.

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone,

I have found myself with a small dilemma. The footprint of Carlos is 1524x1200mm, not including the overhang of the Y axis motors at the back and the cable chain overhanging on the right. The bench was originally going to be 1800x1200mm but I increased the width to 1800x1400mm to allow some additional space to build an enclosure in the future. I have two pieces of 1800x1200mm form ply intended for the bench top and shelf below but with the increased bench width one sheet of ply is not enough. So I am deciding how to cut the two sheets to cover the bench top. I have some smaller sheets of melamine chipboard from an old kitchen which will suffice for the shelf. Image "1" is my first choice because the sheet width will equal the machine width, then I can use a couple 100mm strips either side to fill the gap. Option 1 will also allow me to use the second sheet of ply for the shelf. Is there any reason to consider options "2" and "3" other than aesthetic appeal, such as structural integrity of the bench?

Option "2" is also appealing for a very different reason. The machine itself has two sheets of ply above and below the Al channels in the base which I forgot to order back when I ordered the other ply, so now the parts need to be limited to what can fit in my car. My thought is to reallocate the 1800x1200 sheets of form ply for use in the machine base and have some new ply sheets cut to 1800x600 for the bench, which should just fit in my car.

Not really a problem, would just like to hear thoughts/ideas before cutting up the two sheets I have.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-screen-shot-2022-07-30-4-59-a   My CNC Router Build Adventure-screen-shot-2022-07-30-5-03-a   My CNC Router Build Adventure-screen-shot-2022-07-30-4-50-a  
    - Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne,
    What I have found is that benchs are very heavy and difficult to move by oneself if you have to. During covid no one could come to help me move Scoot from the menshed to home, had to wait for weeks to get 4 people in the same place at the same time....

So I build them in two or 3 pieces now so it can be split. Fits into a smaller vehicle if needed and I can manage the break down & reassembly myself. Since your top is going to be two pieces I'd suggest you make the bench in two pieces. Say No2 with bolt together middle or a gap. I make the separate bits a bit smaller so there is a central tunnel for materials dolly or a tool trolley. If the machine has the right feet it can bridge across the gap if you leave a gap. No real reason to have the top of the bench there since the machine is on top, the benchtop just collects dust...

I just realised the bench is half built, But cut and shut in timber is easy.....Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-bench-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pete,

Carlos's bench frame is already built and it won't be moved. My available space is limited with pretty much only spot where it can be located, so that's where it will be. If it does need to be moved for any reason in the future, I could jack it up and sit it on dollies to wheel around. I thought about putting the bench of wheels but I think it will be an unnecessary expense. The cross beams in the bench are spaced to align with the C channels in Carlos, so it would be easy to make machine feet to secure directly to the bench cross beams instead of sitting on the bench top. Food for thought....

On the subject of heavy benches, I have an all steel bench that was given to me which had a previous life in an old mechanics shop. It's about 1400x1000mm and was briefly considered to be the CNC bench before Carlos grew in size. That bench has an 8mm steel plate as the bench top and was so heavy I couldn't even budge it let alone lift it. Before bringing it home I shortened the legs and welded some heavy duty castors to make it manageable. Its a great general purpose bench and is more or less indestructible.

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LorySwamp View Post
    following your build)))
    Hi LorySwamp, thanks for following.

Progress has been frustratingly slow so far. Yesterday was supposed to be a day in the garage working on Carlos but plans changed. Hope to make some progress over the weekend.

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Finding time for machine building in a normal human existence is actually quite a challenge - I am also struggling to make decently large progress... A lot can get done accumulatively with lots of half hour sessions stacked on top of one another day by day though. Having the discipline to get into the garage when the kids are passed out and the bed is calling is the tough part

Build thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/429232-forum.html#post2496634

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Luke, You are so right, every little bit of time spent building adds up. Half an hour can often stretch out into 1, 2 or more hours with me, I easily get so involved with what I'm doing that time just slips away. lol

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone. Finally started cutting some metal. Carlos is finally moving from a CAD model dream to reality. I started with the channels for the base. These are the least critical parts when talking about accuracy of cut as the ends don’t mate with anything. I managed to get all the pieces within +/-0.5mm of each other. The first 2 or 3 cuts were used to tweak the mitre saw to get it cutting as close as possible to perfectly square. I’m pretty happy with the precision and repeatability coming out of a cheap wood working machine. The cuts are certainly within the tolerance required for this build. One thing I forgot to buy was wax for the blade and it started to show towards the end after about 15 cuts. The blade teeth started to collect some build up of metal shavings affecting the finish of the cut edge and also making it a little more difficult for the blade to move through the metal. The bottom bracket in the attached photo was either the first or second cut made with a brand new blade. The top bracket in the photo was the last cut made (about # 15 or 16). I wasn’t too fussed with these brackets because I’m going to bead blast them anyway. I’m aiming for a lightly textured finish for aesthetics.

Before making more cuts, I want to get some wax or spray lube for the blade. I’ve heard WD40 can work well, would that likely end up flinging the oil all over the place or am I better off getting some blade wax? I found this at one of my local tool shops. https://www.totaltools.com.au/113202...utting-1918979

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-0fa35d45-9347-49a3-86a2-953cec502bba-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-7f0357b0-1726-4685-b24b-a63d01bdf810-jpg  
    - Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne - everything gets flung. Wax, oil, wd-40 (kerosene) swarf . Wax is convenient. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

cuts look clean, stoked for you that bits are starting to become real

I used tapmatic cutting fluid when I was chopping my extrusion, it made a big difference to cut speed and quality, but filled my garage with a fine carcinogenic mist. Wax makes sense.

Build thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/429232-forum.html#post2496634

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I’ll give the wax a try. We are going away for a few days tomorrow so won’t get any more building done until next week.

Regarding the flinging of debris, I made a kind of “catcher” out of an old cardboard box that sits behind the saw. It seems to do a reasonable job of containing the swarf. Most of the mess is isolated to in the box and on and under the bench so clean up isn’t too bad.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-045492a5-17a4-4543-9d76-ad45fc2a5998-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-39011baf-28bc-43d1-b4b0-4e910b4f4434-jpg  
    - Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everyone, I 3D printed a jig to help with cutting the 45 degree corners on the angle brackets. The printed jig was a proof of concept, if it didn’t work then no big deal as the 45 degree cuts serve no purpose other than aesthetics. However the jig worked very well. The jig locates onto 4 pins (cut down nails) pushed in through the underside of the piece of wood. The locating holes are equally spaced in a square pattern so the jig can easily be rotated. For the first batch of cuts, the angle was clamped down with a wing nut and scrap piece of aluminium but that started to give me sore fingers constantly tightening and loosening the wing nut. A quick release over centre clamp would have been better but I don’t have anything like that, something I need to look into buying or making in the future. The rest of the cuts were done with the jig rotated so I was able to just hold the part by hand without my fingers being too close to that fast spinning blade.

Next step is to design a drilling jig for all the holes in the brackets then bead blast the brackets after the holes are drilled. I ordered two spotting drill bits to mark the hole locations before drilling through. I’ve never used these types of drills before so will be a learning curve.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-fe117a72-d12c-44d8-9d35-9385c2b6225e-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-a9a2cc4d-b425-4ff0-aa3e-3f2835348036-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-ed03017a-3671-454b-b158-32e5bb113de0-jpeg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-8c907e97-c5a4-494c-bff1-24d9de856b0e-jpg  

My CNC Router Build Adventure-60caf1d7-cc1e-423d-ab12-b915446482c3-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-9cb4a536-547f-41ec-b50c-8e0a63a1ed81-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne - Do you recommend the 80T Irwin blade? I need to cut Al soon for making a new bench and I'm looking for a blade at the moment. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pete,

So far so good with the blade just make sure you use lube on the blade otherwise it tends to clog fairly quickly. I bought a blade wax stick from Total Tools and it’s made a big difference to using the blade dry. Haven’t tried any spray lube yet as I’m trying to avoid spraying it all over the machine and the garage.

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Those brackets look really good. Your machine is so neat I routinely feel like a cave man building his machine with rocks when I look at other peoples clean work

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Luke, but don’t be too hard on yourself. I am following your build and your machine looks great! It’s amazing what a difference it can make taking photos from different angles and light. After all, you only want photos of your “good” side to be shown publicly. Lol

I can’t wait to try out my new bead blaster and see what results I can achieve. Unfortunately amongst the mess currently in my garage I accidentally dropped a piece of wood and it got the window of that blasting cabinet cracking the glass. It’s still useable but needless to say there were a few descriptive words spoken when it happened.

- Jayne -

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JayneV View Post
    I think I’ll give the wax a try. We are going away for a few days tomorrow so won’t get any more building done until next week.
    Hi Jayne,

First, I am enjoying the thread and discussions. I am getting REALLY close to building a machine of my own. Hopefully over the winter (I'm in USA, Ohio to be specific).

Anyway, I use wax for ALL aluminum work. When using it with the miter box I simply smear a *small* amount on the cutline(s) and all cuts come out perfect, no transfer to the blade and great fit up. I first happened upon the wax when I was porting cylinder heads. It works wonders even on cast iron but mostly aluminum.

WD40 works great too just way more mess. I'd use automatic transmission fluid before I used WD40 just a little less messy.

Keep plugging away on him.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne - Do you recommend the 80T Irwin blade? I need to cut Al soon for making a new bench and I'm looking for a blade at the moment. Peter
    Just get the Blade that is designed for cutting nonferrous metal, they work very well if you get the right one

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne- I thought I'd answer these for you:
    1) A motion controller is used to take the timing load & calculations off the computer. A computers clock is a variable thing it slows and speeds up to thread and synchronize various applications and internal functions. An NC clock has to be accurate all the time.
    2) Yes the computer is the GUI for the CAM functions
    3) Yes different machine makers have different solutions for various machine control issues. At hobby level Mach3-4 and UCCNC and other controllers its relatively simple control, no feedback loops or pre-processing and adaptions to deal with. Advanced controllers cycle the maths in adaptions and can optimise various things for accuracy or for speed. They also can accept positional, velocity and acceleration feedback from sensors in the machine and make corrections from these loops.

Like driving a car the faster you go the more care has top be taken in corners and at some speeds or accels you leave the road.

4) I'm not familiar with using UC100 with Mach3. Mach3 is an application that fiddles with the internals of windows (quite a feat) to create an accurate clock. M3 existed before people created external motion controllers to solve the motion control issue.

Regards Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne- I thought I'd answer these for you:
    1) A motion controller is used to take the timing load & calculations off the computer. A computers clock is a variable thing it slows and speeds up to thread and synchronize various applications and internal functions. An NC clock has to be accurate all the time.
    2) Yes the computer is the GUI for the CAM functions
    3) Yes different machine makers have different solutions for various machine control issues. At hobby level Mach3-4 and UCCNC and other controllers its relatively simple control, no feedback loops or pre-processing and adaptions to deal with. Advanced controllers cycle the maths in adaptions and can optimise various things for accuracy or for speed. They also can accept positional, velocity and acceleration feedback from sensors in the machine and make corrections from these loops.

Like driving a car the faster you go the more care has top be taken in corners and at some speeds or accels you leave the road.

4) I'm not familiar with using UC100 with Mach3. Mach3 is an application that fiddles with the internals of windows (quite a feat) to create an accurate clock. M3 existed before people created external motion controllers to solve the motion control issue.

Regards Peter
    The computer clock is not variable when being used for a CNC Control, you only have to look at the diagnostics screen to see what the computer is doing.

When a computer runs Mach3 it is using Realtime, the only restriction is the output Kernel Speed of what the computer can do, which the average computer is reliable up to 75,000Hz, some less depends on the computer being used, and how old it is, this is where a Smooth Stepper can take over or even the UC100=100Khz which is very good and makes Mach3 a very reliable control and worth the money, how does this work Mach3 sends the instructions (G-Code and other instructions) to a Buffer the Buffer then feed the UC100 CPU which is then in control of your machine, so the computer being used does not have to be very powerful, when using an external motion controller

A Computer is not a GUI for Cam Functions.

GUI means Graphical User Interface. It is the common user Interface that includes Graphical representation like buttons and icons, and communication can be performed by interacting with these icons.

Every Program you load has its own GUI, like Mach3 the user interface can be changed to look different (different screen sets) and move things around like buttons Etc. this is what a GUI is, whenever you turn a computer on if it is Windows, the first thing you see is the Windows GUI

Both snips are Mach3 this is 2 examples of what can be done with the GUI

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Router Build Adventure-mach3-gui-jpg   My CNC Router Build Adventure-mach3-gui-2-png  
    Mactec54

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 LastLast