need advice: laser and spindle together, or just laser?

Thread: need advice: laser and spindle together, or just laser?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question need advice: laser and spindle together, or just laser?

some may remember my machine, some may not. i think it is in my signature anyway...

i want the best of both world, but i see me using the laser more than the 5HP Perske spindle. mostly for signs and engraving.
    so what do you all think? keep the spindle on the machine, in case i need it, and run two separate LinuxCNC configurations? or take the spindle off, for now, and run just the laser?
    it would save me the expense of the dust collection system, and the half-brained plastic/metal/wood routing ideas. i could still run a vacuum for fume extraction, but it would be easier.

i think i am talking myself into taking the spindle off... would i be making a mistake? i can always put it back on later if i need it, and save the config info.

anyway, it is late at night (9:55 PM here), and i have been racking my brain on how to make both work...

~Travis

Similar Threads:
    Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Perske 3PH 5HP spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need advice: laser and spindle together, or just laser?

Ideally you would have two separate machines space allowing. A router need stiffness and rigidity where a laser not so much. That weight penalty would end up for a slow machine. If you were to run a low power diode for occasional small labelling work then bolting one on might be ok. Safety. Lasers should be fully encased and not be able to be turned on unless the lid is fully closed.

So, dedicated laser with a boxed in frame designed for high speed movement is my vote. Save the heavy duty frame for what is was designed for. IMO that is.