First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?

I'm looking at building a router using parts mostly of AliExpress, I've listed them below. They all come in 'kits', ie the steppers come with everything needed to run them. It seems cost effective this way - are these chinese kits up to the task?
    Hoping to be able to work woods and plastic, with the goal of soft aluminium down the line. Would be very happy with 4 thou accuracy

Spindle + VFD:

1.5kW Square Body, Chinese, Ali Express ER11 Collet With VFD

https://tinyurl.com/y8vdwslj $260 USD shipped

Steppers:

3 Axis Kit Nema 23 With power Supply With drivers With USB board

https://tinyurl.com/y9yfq5vy $152 USD Shipped

Linear Motion

Lengths are ball park for now. Seems cost effective to go longer, but then the structure would be less rigid. need to think here.

Linear rail, block and ballscrew kits 4x 1200mm rails with 8 blocks (x,y) 2x 300mm rails with 4 blocks (z)

https://tinyurl.com/y7p6ctgp $418 USD shipped

Total: 828 USD

Questions

As a starting point how does this look? Anywhere I could cut cost? anywhere I should spend more?
    For the Stepper Motors, am I correct in thinking that with the supplied USB board I should be able to control the steppers from mach3 USB?
    I've heard about smooth steppers - are these an alternative to the USB board? what is the point of them?
    Thanks for reading, any replies are massively appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?

Hi,
    I think the 3 axis kit is not the best choice. The drivers are the famed....or should that be infamous....TB6600....not the best. The smoke is still contained
    in the one pictured but its trying to get out, and it will. The motion control board is ****e.....variously called a RnR motion board, if you don't believe me
    have a look on the Mach3 Forum and see how many people struggle with them. The steppers look OK but there is no inductance specification,
    you absolutely MUST get low inductance steppers (1mH-2mH for 23 size steppers) or your machine ill be as slow as a wet week.

While buying a kit is appealing, and the price is right, the kit supplier is relying on you not knowing about the ****e components he is selling you.
    My suggestion would be to buy individual components, it will be more expensive and time consuming but they will work properly whereas the
    kit you propose will work poorly at best.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for your input.
    Perhaps a stepper like this;

https://tinyurl.com/ycvldddh
    1.8mH inductance listed, and a quick google for the R60 driver doesn't throw up any major issues.

I'll give a further look into the spindle and bearings kits I posted, although I read encouraging things about them.

Any recommendations on a USB control board? the PC I'm planning to use doesn't have parallel port.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a design for the machine?

Seems cost effective to go longer, but then the structure would be less rigid
    Longer bearings aren't less rigid themselves. Their rigidity is directly related to the rigidity of what they are mounted too. You can make longer beams just as rigid as shorter beams, but they usually just need to be larger.

As for electonics, most Chinese kits are not very good. You get what you pay for.

For the spindle, you want a 220V spindle with an ER20 collet, unless you are building a really small machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ger,

thanks for the input.

Only thing for design I know is it will be moving gantry.

Currently reading threads here about what materials to use.

-Steel box tube + self level epoxy
    -al extrusions
    -al plates

etc.

I will have access to a manual mill to assist. Once I have the spindle/motors/rails selected and decided on which materials where the design should be pretty quick - im not looking to reinvent anything!

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    you really need to look closely, the model stepper you linked to is 3Nm @ 3.2mH....and I'm of the opinion 3.2mH is too much, however they list a
    2Nm model (57A2) at 1.8mH, which would be acceptable. You have to pay very close attention to what the Chinese advertise, they often say one thing
    but you get another.

Gecko have a deserved reputation for great stepper drivers, really reliable but not cheap. Look for 80V units and run them at 80V, the higher the voltage the
    faster your stepper will go without losing steps.

Leadshine AM822's are capable units but about half the price of an 80V Gecko.

The motion controller rather depends on what CNC software you want to use. The two most popular choices for hobbyists using a Windows platform
    are Mach3, or better yet Mach4, and UCCNC, both are good. LinuxCNC is another good choice but is of course on a Linux platform.

Mach can be run on a number of external motion controllers from different manufactures, there is a choice ranging from cheap and troublesome Chinese
    controllers like the RnR one you have looked at to an Ethernet Smooth Stepper by Warp9, or any of the UCxxx series by CNCDrive, right up to Gallil at $2000 plus
    for a three axis controller.

I myself use Mach4 and an Ethernet Smooth Stepper.

Ger favors UCCNC software and that will run only on boards made by the same manufacturer, CNCDrive. The good news is their boards and software are very
    realistically priced, work well and are well supported.

There is a long running argument over which is better Mach4 or UCCNC with neither faction really cleaning up........I think that both are very good.

You'll find most external controllers are Ethernet connected, they have much lower latency and better noise immunity than USB connected controllers, so go
    Ethernet in preference to USB.

Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig - UCCNC is board independent. I have not run UCCNC boards on any of my routers and it has worked on 4 different electronic systems. Cheers Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peeteng,

Hi Craig - UCCNC is board independent. I have not run UCCNC boards on any of my routers and it has worked on 4 different electronic systems. Cheers Peter
    That is not correct, there is UCCNC by CNCDrive which strictly requires one of their control boards, and another lesser known, maybe obsolete UCNC or similar name, very
    confusing, which would run on multiple controllers.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig - I've rethought that and yes the UCCNC has to use a CNCdrive motion controller. I use the UC100 motion controller. By "board" I was thinking of the motor controller Board or boards... opps.. There's a few boards in the vernacular.. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peteeng,
    did Santa bring you anything interesting?

I'm getting to the fun part of my new build, equipping the axes, setting up and tuning servos, just had both X and Y axes running at 25m/min, which is to my eyes
    flying.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig - My new workshop is Santas gift this year and its evolving. My first router was belt driven and it could run at 25m/min easily. I backed it off because it was a bit scary sometimes... For mould cutting in MDF 15-20M/min was good. Moulds take a long time unless you can go fast... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peteeng,
    new workshop...sounds great.

A supplier of electronic parts bought a second hand Yamaha Pick and Place machine and stripped it down for parts which left the table (1.1m x 1.3m on castors with adjustable feet when in
    position) and very substantially built, approx 300kg. They gave it to me, and its about perfect for my new mill. That was an unexpected and yet valued Santa surprise for me.

My new build mill has cast iron axis beds of 100kg plus, and when its starts accelerating at 0.25g up to 25m/min you sure take notice!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason - Looking at your construction philosphy list:

1) Standard steel tubes welded - main concern is distortion . Work needs stress relief. Self levelling epoxy I think is not the go IMHO but people do do it. If you are handy with oxy then brazing and braze welding solves a lot of problems. Epoxy joints these days can be considered they are damp and you have the opportunity to align things
    2) By alum extrusion I assume you mean construction extrusions not SHS or RHS. Construction extrusions are convenient but are expensive for their low stiffness and you are better off using std alum extrusions they are cheaper and stiffer. Welded or bolted is the question. Bonded joints are doable as well.
    3) Al plate construction (or steel plate or combo) has many advantages. Gives you control over geometry and thicknesses. Bolted construction is stiff yet damp... Assembly is adjustable so you can get things square with patience. Since you have mill access this is a top candidate in my books. Set all joints with loctite or epoxy and you have a very good machine
    4) I'd stay away from welded structures due to distortion. But if you work in small sections and true them on the mill then it can work.

All of these issues come down to the accuracy you require in the final machine.... +/-0.1mm all methods are fine, +/-0.01mm care needed and stress relief of steel frames needed. +/-0.001mm everything needs care and absolute correct procedures at toolmaking levels.... you have to build the machine at 10x the accurately that you require to achieve your required tolerance.. good luck and Happy New Year 2021 Peter

Last edited by peteeng; 12-28-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Peteeng, Joe,

Thanks for the pointers!

Yes I was thinking Al plate construction as well. When you say set joints do you mean just standard threadlocking?

I'd be very happy if I acheived +/-0.1 mm for my first machine! But like you said, having access to a mill, Al plate bolted is probably going to be my cheapest, easiest route as well!
    I'll start mocking up a design and post up in the coming week

Cheers

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason - Yes threadlocking adhesive is fine. You can get a wicking adhesive that's good because you can place it along the edge after you have bolted up hard and it will seep into the joint and set it. Saves setting everything up getting it right then pulling it down and rebuilding to add the adhesive. Machined edges have small high points and these will bed down under bolt tension and use. Bolted edges should be stoned or wet and dried (lapped) before final assemble. Once assembled, aligned and "right" use 290 to set joint. Won't come loose .... Peter

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/au/...ctite_290.html

see Katran thread

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?-katran-thread-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

long hiatus... but I've finally had time to get back in to this. Moving on to the mech design, I think I'll follow the advice here to stay away from welding, and stick to box sections aluminium for the construction. Decided to go fixed gantry. In the photos you can see my current plan - thought I'd ask the pro's if im heading in the correct direction before I get carried away with the details, and ask a few questions I have at this stage.

The frame is constructed from 1 1/4" 10swg aluminum.
    The linear rail bed is 1 1/4" solid aluminum.
    The gussets are 10mm thick aluminum (I plan to get these watercut)

My main question is, what do you think of my approach to the rail mounting / axis construction. I plan to bolt 1 1/4" bar to the plate bed. Once bolted up, mill both linear rail seats in the same op on a manual mill. If I do this on all 3 axis, I would have 3 sets of linear rails parallel and level with each other. Then, I can bolt these to frames and then square the axis beds to each other. (I hope the photo makes this self explanatory)

I would be very happy with 4-5thou (0.1mm) accuracy in plastic / brass (don't care about speed). Is my frame and construction looking chucky enough?
    Base frame, would using corner brackets suffice for bolting the box sections together?
    Would the added cost of going for solid bar everywhere be worth the extra stiffness?

Thanks again all!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?-front-jpg   First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?-iso-png   First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?-rail_mounting-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason - I'd make the base deeper. The columns are way stiffer then the base and its good to match their stiffness. Do they spec tube in SWG? 10swg is 1/8" thick? 1-1/4 is 32mm, Maybe your base should be 3" (75mm) deep. The butted tubes how are you going to bolt these together? Angles from T-slot tubing systems are good. The heavy cast ones are best... Otherwise coming along nicely. What alloy are you using? Since your in inches I assume USA so use 6061-T6.

1) watercutting here is very expensive and you can cut the gussets with a jig saw to save $$$
    2) If you are going to have the axis machined you may as well do them from a solid chunk of AL vs 3 pieces, will be stiffer and more accurate...The cost will be in the machining not the material...Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Pete thanks for the input.

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...um-square-tube

Maybe its a UK thing its listed as 10swg on this website!

Yes angles from T-Slot is exactly what I was thinking.

When you say make the base deeper, do you mean the 'base frame', ie, the box section that is sitting underneath the x axis assembly? (x bottom, y is the gantry in my drawings) or do you mean the plates that the linear rail mounting bar is fixed to?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jason - see sketch - I see the tube is 6082-T6 good similar to 6061....Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time build: thoughts on my preliminary parts list?-deeper-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Pete, your sketch there definitely makes it look more 'correct' intuitively, I think I'll do that.

apologies I didn't notice your points 1 and 2 in your reply before!

I've had watercut parts made up for work before, and often its not even much more expensive than the stock itself. Maybe I'm lucky in who I found as a supplier!

2) I had a quick search of prices on that same website I linked before. If I go for 3x billets it comes to about double what the equivalent thin plate + square bar comes to. I will shop around I'm sure I can get a closer price.

My whole idea of this 3 piece axis bed and then machining is that it should be far quicker and possibly more accurate to align the rails than it would be using other methods I have seen. This would be even more true if I machine the whole thing from 1 piece.

Is my premise that I can skip a lot of the fine detail clocking of the rails off of one another that I see people do who do not have an edge to register off of, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast