'Reference Face' for a steel CNC Router build

Thread: 'Reference Face' for a steel CNC Router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 'Reference Face' for a steel CNC Router build

I know RHS is not flat , so if one was to build a CNC Router out of it, how would one obtain a flat surface to reference the instalation of the linear rails?
    If I was to get the top sections machined flat, would I also get one side machined flat and square to the tops and use that?

Are there other, easier ways?

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    I know RHS is not flat , so if one was to build a CNC Router out of it, how would one obtain a flat surface to reference the instalation of the linear rails?
    If I was to get the top sections machined flat, would I also get one side machined flat and square to the tops and use that?

Are there other, easier ways?

Steve
    I am thinking about epoxy. No affiliation, but check out the last picture on this page:
    https://www.precisionepoxy.com/table-top--jig-table-and-linear-rails

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 'Reference Face' for a steel CNC Router build

You did not mention the size of the build or your skill level.
    For a small build, like a 3040, you could obtain a piece of granite counter top and use that as a reference surface plate to build on..........any bigger and you need the facilities of a full time engineering workshop.
    You will need to machine the top faces of the linear rail mounts anyway, or with lots of hard work and skill grind them with an angle grinder and a reference flat to get them flat and level.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends how serious you are and what tools you have available Steve.

Without a mill you'd need to pay someone to machine the RHS flat on preferably all 4 sides, and you'd need to be sure they actually do a good job within tolerance, which is a different matter again.

A lot of people automatically go to the hardest option to achieve the goal, I would say in this case if you're limited by tooling/costs, then a decent dial indicator can be your friend, and simply shim the RHS to achieve a consistent result across the length.

If you're using mounted supported rails (which you should) as opposed to unsupported rails (crap), then go up in thickness a size, this will greatly help alleviate the adjustments required, as the mounted rail will have great rigidity.

This is a few ideas for a start anyway. I'd strongly suggest try not to over think it. I'm all for over engineering, but I have a lathe and mill at my disposal so that's achievable for me, if it's not achievable for you, make some design changes to cater for the compromises.

A few dollars extra spent can mean the difference between failure, success, and a working but really crappy end result you may not be happy with.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally I'm not a fan of the CNC Sharks as they are the most over priced and over hyped machines around, but this one seems to be around 1/5 of the normal cost which at least makes it more attractive, buying a second hand machine might be the optimal choice for you if you want to get your feet wet, and after getting to grips with CNC'ing, you could then sell it and upgrade or build?

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/...rim-qld-238903

You could always make an offer to the guy as well, I suspect they'd be agreeable.

It's a state of mind!